Chapter 1: After the Storm

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 1: After the Storm

Post by Longman »

Sonja will mark their departure best they can

Do you mean track them? Or watch them? The monk is following them.

They are headed in a south-easterly direction, back into the mountain hex you were in yesterday. You (Yuan Cheng) can't see them that well at all. You can see that they move pretty rapidly - about as fast as you, in fact. The ones that were in darkness find the others by moonlight and they regroup about 200 yards from the camp. You want to keep following further than that? They will notice you, unless you roll very well.

Meanwhile, back at the camp. The sea-elf announced his intention to have a snooze, and promptly goes to sleep. Jaali tries to intimidate the captives with knife-play but they seem more interested than frightened.

"Who are you, and where do you come from?" says the Kona mage.

"We...we live here!" comes the reply. "Our village is far, though. We are a hunting party. We come here for the...big lizards that live up here. We..." he seems to change his mind. "Who are you?" he says. "How did you get here?"
quozl

Post by quozl »

So there's more? Does Yuan-Cheng have an idea of the approximate number?

And Yuan-Cheng will head back and let the others know.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:"We...we live here!" comes the reply. "Our village is far, though. We are a hunting party. We come here for the...big lizards that live up here. We..." he seems to change his mind. "Who are you?" he says. "How did you get here?"
Maju says, "Our ship landed on the north shore. We're simply…and I'll add peacefully…exploring this part of the island and hunting for provisions. How long have you been following us, and why did you attack us?"
Longman

Post by Longman »

quozl wrote:So there's more? Does Yuan-Cheng have an idea of the approximate number?

And Yuan-Cheng will head back and let the others know.
No. There were 3 trapped in darkness, who then reunited with the other 3, who fled. You killed 3 and have 3 captive. There were only ever 12. There's not a big war party waiting out there, or anything like that.

In response to Maju's question's the leader simply says: We didn't. We challenged you! You were supposed to surrender! That's how we do it! The little midget fellow killed one of our men without touching him. Is that magic? Or are you from the Gods? Anyway, we didn't mean to offend you...

IMPORTANT EDIT: 8-sided Dave is now playing the role of the lead villager you just captured. I am gong to be feeding him info via PM, about what he knows. Hold tight for a bit.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Sonja was going to start the tracking tomorrow, not tonight. She can't see well in the dark, and undisturbed she'd find it easily enough tomorrow. She wasn't planning on the monk trampling through the train though...
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

"You are right, I'm Jaali the magnificent, a powerful wizard. I killed your friend with my magic wand. (showing him his pistol) So you better not try to attack me or my friends again."

Edit : looks like he doesn't understand me. Jaali will still say that in common, looking at him in the eyes and trying to look like a badass.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju looks at the leader and says in Salayan, "Let's all just settle down. We're sorry for the misunderstanding. Your group surprised us. This jungle is dangerous and we're on edge. So I hope you understand our reaction to your attack. We're sorry for your fallen comrades. We'll help you bury your dead. While were digging, what can you tell us about this island?"
8sidedDave

Post by 8sidedDave »

The whole time they were talking, Teruk was thinking. He was raised as the son of the tribe’s chief and while he was not as wise as his venerated father, he had gleaned a few things over the years.

Only the short and slight looking man before him spoke a dialect of his language. The other, a…midget of sorts, spoke some sort of gibberish. As he was squatting on his haunches, they were nearly eye to eye and the midget was glowering at him.

Teruk then took the moment to slowly rise until he was standing, his brown eyes turning away from the midget to look at Maru. His warriors remain still but they are ready to fight should the strangers attack their leader. Teruk is a sight; standing tall with broad shoulders, muscles like corded rope rippling effortlessly under taut brown light brown skin. Whorls and patterns of indigo paint covered his face, arms and chest. The art not only showed his social status, but his accomplishments, position, and ancestry. There is a regal air to his looks and manner, something of the noble savage that is hard to miss.

HIs voice is firm yet non-threatening. “I am sorry as well. Your…coverings and the things you carry and wield in your hands…are most foreign to us. My warriors and I, well…we thought you evil spirits summoned by Ishakt to hunt and kill us.”

“I am Teruk, son of Talhuk,” he stated, pushing his chest out slightly, “who is the Great Father of my people, the Sandakan and the lord of all Sulan." The other warriors fall prostrate on the ground at the mention of the name ‘Talhuk.’

Teruk then speaks softly. “My warriors will prepare the dead for their journey into the beyond. Let us talk more.”
Longman

Post by Longman »

Nice post, Dave.

I will retcon the fact that you and the other captives were tied up. I'll say you aren't tied up, for the time being. But, there is only one conscious warrior apart from you, and he has wound in his arm, from Jaali's cutlass. The other one is unconscious, by virtue of the monk's hand to hand attacks. The remaining 6 of your men have ran off, for the time being. Sorry to rain on your parade.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Bored and with not much else to do, Sonja will bind her wounds and the wounded warrior's arm.

Other than the language thing, and the "Dave is chief" thing, and the "we tried to kill you" thing, this would be a great opportunity to pick up a hireling. :D
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot