The Lingering Keep

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dustinian

The Lingering Keep

Post by Dustinian »

Download:
lingering_keep.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 458 times
lingering_keep.odt
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 405 times
Commentary
I don't love the formatting, but I put a lot of work into the art and encounters. I ran this adventure a year ago in my group, and I finally got to spend time on the maps, illustrations, and adventure document to post it.

Will happily accept negative feedback! I'm looking to polish this one up!
Dustinian
mindtech

Re: The Lingering Keep

Post by mindtech »

Dustinian, I just downloaded the PDF and I think it's great little adventure. I can easily see myself implementing this within my Iron Falcon game.

I also noticed that you have also have another adventure called "King of the Autumn's Harvest". I wouldn't mind seeing this as well.

One question about the turret, is it empty so the PCs can have a breather and enjoy the view after making their way up to the top, or is this still a work in progress?
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

mindtech wrote:Dustinian, I just downloaded the PDF and I think it's great little adventure. I can easily see myself implementing this within my Iron Falcon game.
Thank you! I find myself preferring short dungeons with just a few rooms to giant dungeons with tons of rooms. My players always manage to fill the time with ideas of their own, and they love the idea of assaulting a building vs. clearing a dungeon room-by-room.
mindtech wrote:I also noticed that you have also have another adventure called "King of the Autumn's Harvest". I wouldn't mind seeing this as well.
Sure! You can find it here!
mindtech wrote:One question about the turret, is it empty so the PCs can have a breather and enjoy the view after making their way up to the top, or is this still a work in progress?
Yes, it's empty on purpose. I need to add a bit of a denouement to that page. I also have an adventure in mind that will take a place a few months after this one, one that will involve the PCs using the ballista in the tower to defend Autumpeak against incoming ships. That one is still just in the "noodle" phase at this point, though: nothing is on paper yet.

Thank you for the feedback!
Dustinian
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

This is brilliant and much needed, Dustinian! These low level, introductory adventures that are bite-sized for both the player AND the GM are not so common as I would hope. I am sort of a collector of 1 page adventures and love to whip up something scary and fun in a flash for an unplanned, yet rousing table game of 3 hours or less. Often, these games involve new players or, at least new characters.

I have added both the Kings Harvest and the Lingering Keep to my collection (with thanks). Only one question. Why waste so much page space with emptiness? Was it because you planned to fill the space? or were you aiming for as many pages possible? I will, no doubt, collapse them into their most efficient arrangement and fit them onto a couple of duplex pages for convenient binder storage.

As a fellow artist and gamer, "Party on, dood!"
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Babarock wrote:This is brilliant and much needed, Dustinian!
Thank you, sir!
Babarock wrote:These low level, introductory adventures that are bite-sized for both the player AND the GM are not so common as I would hope. I am sort of a collector of 1 page adventures and love to whip up something scary and fun in a flash for an unplanned, yet rousing table game of 3 hours or less. Often, these games involve new players or, at least new characters.
I also find that first-time players take a LOT of time trying different things in different rooms, poking and prodding at everything, questioning the heck out of every NPC, etc. So a good, short adventure helps me feel relaxed about them taking their time. I don't feel like they're "going to miss something" by not powering through.
Babarock wrote:I have added both the Kings Harvest and the Lingering Keep to my collection (with thanks). Only one question. Why waste so much page space with emptiness? Was it because you planned to fill the space? or were you aiming for as many pages possible? I will, no doubt, collapse them into their most efficient arrangement and fit them onto a couple of duplex pages for convenient binder storage.
I appreciate the criticism! Feedback is a gift. You're right that there's a lot of wasted space. This wasn't a goal or on purpose. It's just that neither adventure is "finished." I have a little text I'd like to add to "The Lingering Keep" and a LOT of text I need to add to "King of the Autumn's Harvest." Because all the text isn't there, I haven't spent a lot of time fiddling with the columns and image layouts to condense the adventures down. I will be doing that... eventually.
Babarock wrote:As a fellow artist and gamer, "Party on, dood!"
Hey, thanks again for reading, and thinking well enough of them to take time out to respond!
Dustinian
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Hey, I'm gonna run my three little ones through the 'Kings Harvest' tomorrow night followed up by the 'Keep'. They're stoked over the idea of earning themselves an HQ while their characters are still low level. Haha!

I was wondering if you'd like some feedback or help rounding out the adventures. I'm an experienced gamer, a professional graphic artist and a published author. By the end of the weekend, I will have GM play-tested both mods as well.

I'm working on a couple BF modules of my own presently. I'd love to see yours officially completed. Let me know if I can be of assistance!
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Babarock, help/feedback would be awesome!

If you post your feedback as a general reply here, I'll incorporate it as quickly as I can.

If you want to edit the .ODT directly, please feel welcome to do so; I only ask for two things:
  • Add yourself to the "by line."
  • Turn on "Track Changes" (Edit > Track Changes > Record Changes) so I can see what you fixed
I'm really stoked that you're play testing, and I'm eager to hear about the results! You've got me enthused to make a pass through both adventures tonight to add a bit here and there with my latest thoughts. If I get time to do that, I'll reply here.
Dustinian
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

I updated both the .ODT and the .PDF in the first post. I only made a few minor changes. The OGL now fits on a single page, for example.

Babarock, one thing to consider as you run your kids through this: I probably skewed a little high on the difficulty. I skew high on difficulty because my players are HIGHLY tactical. They almost never fight that isn't them ambushing someone. They'll rappel down walls and fire arrows through windows.

You may want to shave one HD off each monster, which should make them hit less often and go down faster.
Dustinian
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Moderator's Note: Post moved to the King of the Autumn's Harvest thread by Dustinian.
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Babarock, I'm blown away by the work you did on this! Thank you! I've downloaded your .PDF, and I'm great with all your changes! I need to go to work right now, but I'll post a full, detailed response tonight. If I can figure out how, I'd like to move your post into the proper King of the Autumn's Harvest thread. But thank you for this; it's awesome!
Dustinian