RED OAK: Return to the Pass of the Hounds

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: The Quest for Malagosbe (chapter 8)

Post by Longman »

I haven't introduced Fido's run yet. Are you going to go for that now?

In that case, I'd like to roll for init for everyone in the party. It means were in combat.

The archers getting a clear shot would depend on where the gump was when they actually fired. If they win init and turn and fire now, the penalty I'd impose would be no worse than -2.

If the gump wins init and runs up close to the party, they may have to save to avoid glancing at it, as I described earlier.

Basically it all depends on the init roll.

Or you could keep running and hope it loses you again - less likely now it is so close.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I don't think there's much of a choice. If you start rolling your pursuit/chase rolls, the gump will end up in melee given Kilian's speed. This way the party will at least get a few shots off before getting into melee.

Roll for initiative!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Gump 1
Dog 3
Talin 4
Kilian 3
Freya 5

The dog makes its distracting run. The gump is drawn to the dog initially.

Seeing as you mentioned getting a few rounds of fire, I am assuming you all move back a bit and then shoot?. You move back 30, and are now 80 away from it.

You all open fire - in this situation there's a slight penalty for "shooting on the turn" (running back and then turning to re-find your opponent in the same round). There's also a -2 penalty for firing through trees and bushes.

Talin - hits it for 3
Kilian misses.
Freya hits for 1.

So business as usual, really.

Despite the missile fire, it still chases the dog. It moves off at an angle to you and runs the full 80 feet towards the dog, which also moved 80 feet. It is now only about 30' away from you, and you can see it is not yet as big as the other one you fought down by the river.

Initiative will be in the same order. If you shoot at it from here, you are going to have to roll to avoid looking too closely at it. If you move back and then shoot, there's less chance of that happening but the shot will be harder. By the way, are you bringing the dog round in a circle yet, or is he keeping going off on his initial angle?

Your go.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Kilian misses... So business as usual, really. :?

I'm moving backwards then shooting. That's what you mean by shooting on the turn? Pretty much there's no other option than keeping the range and shooting. The archers will keep shooting until it gets within one round of melee range. On that last round, I'll do something different (not sure who draws and who keeps firing). As for Fido, he'll lead a merry chase as long as he can, keeping the gump away from everyone. Ideally he circles around the party, not too close, not too far away.

We might need a map because I'm not sure if the gump is 30' away or 80' away. If it's melee w/in one round, I have a different plan.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

North at top. Squares 10 feet. The terrain is all the same - there's a penalty for shooting through over 4 squares of foliage, and another at 8. Outside that, you can't see it.

It's running at an angle towards Fido, who is also running...probably west and a bit back up north from here, I'd say. It'd be lucky to catch him. But I'll make a roll every few rounds just to make sure Talin's training still holds and the dog doesn't just panic or run off. He rarely fails these.

If you shoot it it may change its mind, and rush at you.

I haven't gone into round 2 yet as you said you needed a map. You still moving back and then firing?
Attachments
gump chase.jpg
gump chase.jpg (229.28 KiB) Viewed 5608 times
Woe

Post by Woe »

Yessir, move out of melee range then fire (or reload for Kilian).
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK, you scuttle back 30 and fire/ reload.

Ptwang. Talin hit easily and does 7hp.
Thwick...Freya hits easily and does 5hp.

That's 12 plus 4 for last round. Ouchie.

The running noise stops. Talin sees it fall over behind a tree with two arrows sticking out of it.

The dog circles back up north, still tying to lead the thing on, but there is no sign of the gump still chasing him.

The weird screaming noise from up the hill changes almost at once. It becomes less threatening, and more like a sad wailing cry - the one you initially thought was a kidnapped child, several months ago.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Kilian, being both paranoid and embarrassed about the panicking, shoots it again. And again. And Talin pushes the crossbow down as Kilian is loading a third time.

"So... um... one down." says Freya. "Now what?"

"That seems easier than before." says Talin. "Much easier to take them down at range." he adds.

Kilian stays quiet, and the others don't say anything for a few moments. Finally, Kilian asks Freya about her story of the sailor. After she finishes, he comments, "Tiana has the candles. We need to go find her. I'm not going to shove rocks and leaves in my ears."

Talin stares at Kilian with surprise on his face, then exclaims "That's not a bad idea. No, not rocks you rockjaw. Clay. Look, over there by that creek. That clay should muffle the scream."

:D

Any clay or mud around?

It was a goblin princess, not a kidnapped child. :lol:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Approaching the 3/4 size gump, you find it dead against a tree with a lot of the dreaded white goo seeping out its body.

You'd give it a day, max, before the creature's form was completely disintegrated and this area was very much infected.

It had nothing on it except a roughly made club.

Now the DM looks up in the 1e DM's guide, and looks under table 13.7.2.4 - Availability Of Mud In A Damp Forest Near A Creek.

1-75 - mud
76-00 - roll again

(You find some mud.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

If it's not too late in the day, the party will try the mud in their ears thing and advance back to the tower, slowly, and check whether baby gump is upstairs or downstairs. I'm not quite sure what the plan is yet but it has something to do with the remaining gumps all dying quickly.

Has Fido ever been affected by the shrieking? I don't recall that, and he wouldn't do well with mud in his ears.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot