Iron Falcon Release Announcements

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Vile

Re: New Project: Iron Falcon

Post by Vile »

'Tis a silly rule, as they say in Camelot. However, perhaps it could go into your optional rules section for those referees who just have to throw 100 kobolds at their players' 9th level characters?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 13 -- February 21, 2015
I've added six pages to the rules; spells are done up to (but not including) Symbol, which is going to need more thinking than my sick and sorry self can handle just now. With luck, I'll get the spells done in the next release or two.

http://ironfalcon.basicfantasy.org/

It's surprising to me how much spell text I can use from the SRD. I just have to hack on it a bit, change it from second person, and fit it to the actual desired mechanics. It saves me from having to repeatedly think up other ways to express the spell description.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 14 -- February 22, 2015
Okay, so this release has a lot of changes. I've completed the spells, including making a couple of changes brought about by the discussion on Dragonsfoot. I've also begun integrating the supplement-era magic items; as a first step, I've reworked the tables for generating magic weapons. A few special weapons have been defined, but there is much more to come.

chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

slade wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:in OD&D it seemed to assumed quite large numbers of PCs
Back when we played, players would pick which of their characters or henchmen was playing that session, but the players also varied session to session, so we never had more than a handful of PCs adventuring in any one session.
Huh that's interesting to note, thanks!

I will say I enjoy the writing and encouragement of imagination within OD&D, but it has also made me appreciate even more the refinements in B/X and BFRPG.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 15 -- February 23, 2015
I've added descriptions for the giants, including the missing cyclops stats. This release also includes what I hope are final versions of the magic item tables, along with a small smattering of descriptive text. Lastly, I've expanded the initiative subsection a bit.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 16 -- February 24, 2015
Not a lot has changed in this release. I've detailed one more monster (Goblins), tweaked the layout, and revised the NPC party guidelines in response to the discussion on Dragonsfoot. Oh, and I've registered a domain name for the project. Now I've spent money on it, I have to finish it.

http://ironfalconrpg.com
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Notes on My Production Process

I'm committed to getting this done. It's a big job, so I expect it will take a while; rather than consider it as a whole and become discouraged, I'm following the advice of the old joke: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

To that end, I'm making daily releases. Some have a lot of changes, some have only a few, but if I make myself do something every day, eventually the job will be done.

Credit Where Credit Is Due

In an upcoming release I'm going to add a credits section that begins with this line:
The following people's commentary on the Dragonsfoot and Basic Fantasy forums was invaluable in the development of this book.
... followed by the names of those people.

If you commented in this thread (more than just to say "hi"), you are eligible to have your name in the credits. I don't care if you agreed with me or disagreed, if you suggested I'm an idiot or I called you a jerk, or whatever might have passed between us. If you participated in the discussion (or participate in the future), you are eligible to be on the list.

Email me your forum handle (so I can verify your claim) and your name as you want it to appear, to my regular email address:

solomoriah@basicfantasy.org

I will add people to the list in the order that their emails land in my inbox. I'm making this identical post on both forums at the same time, for purposes of fairness.

The credits section will be on the back side of the title page, where the dedication and copyright information are now, probably at the bottom.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 17 -- February 25, 2015
I've changed several things in this release. A few magic items have been detailed, a few monsters filled in, and in Appendix A I've added a page defining the Paladin. The credits section I mentioned on the forums has been added, though there are presently just two names on the list. If you're eligible and you'd like your name on the list, let me know!

http://ironfalconrpg.com
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's premature, but here's my first cut at back-cover text for the book:

This Is NOT A New Game.

The Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing reproduces, with a high degree of fatihfulness, the mechanics of the role-playing campaigns from the very early days of the hobby. The material presented herein is as close to those early campaigns created by the founders of the hobby as possible, with all the magic and glory kept intact.

This IS A New Game!

Iron Falcon presents those classic rules in a clear and concise fashion in the form of this single book. The rules are just the sort of loose framework they were always meant to be, but now logically organized and easily used as a reference.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

I like it. the double use of "hobby" seemed a little awkward. But I'm not sure how it could be done better. And honestly that's being picayune.
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.