French translation

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
dpelletier05

French translation

Post by dpelletier05 »

Hi everyone !
Is there work done to translate the BFRPG Rulebook ( Or the Beginner's essentials ) to french. Would it be permited ?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: French translation

Post by Solomoriah »

There is no French translation project as yet. Translation projects must be approved by the author... but that's me, and I'm pretty easy going. Are you offering to do the work?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

If there is no other work in progress, I would be honored to start the project, is there a way to submit the translation once it is done ?

I am planning on translating the beginner's Essentials and if there is need, I might do the complete rulebook. If I see that the only downloads are mine, I won't embark on such a big project but if the community asks for it, I would be glad to do it.

Your work is so great , I think it is worth translating !
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Let me clue you in on how this kind of project works:

First, you don't send me the translation when it's done... you send me your work incrementally. You get a section (or even a subsection) finished, you send it to me, I post the work up to that point on the site.

This has several advantages: First, if you start the work, but are unable to finish it, someone else can take up where you left off. This happened with the Italian translation... the first part (up to the Monster section, if I recall rightly) sat on the site for a year or two before new people came along and finished it. More significantly, because I didn't require the translator to send me incremental work, the work done on the Swedish translation is now lost.

Second, even if you are able to finish the work yourself, having the partially completed work in my hands (and on the site) gives you a backup. Even if your computer dies, the work is not lost.

Third, and honestly most important, if others see the partial work on the site, they may join in. This happens a lot with projects in the Workshop... it's what the Workshop is for.

If you're interested, yes, please, jump in. Don't be afraid to ask questions on the site... we'll help as much as we non-French-speaking folks can. Don't worry about layout issues, I'll correct those myself. Whatever I can do to help, I'll do.
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

Thank you for the opportunity.

Do I send the incremental work by email ?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

I would probably be able to help a bit for the translation !
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

Nice ! any help is welcome !
for now I am on page 3 ( just finished the races and I am about to begin the classes...) of the beginner's essentials are you up to translate the GEAR section ( on page 4 )?

we then need to find a way to put all the work in the same file... do you have a google account ? we could probably use a googledoc cooperative approach... what do you think ?
jackel

Post by jackel »

Good to this happening. BF in any language is good.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

dpelletier05 wrote:Nice ! any help is welcome !
for now I am on page 3 ( just finished the races and I am about to begin the classes...) of the beginner's essentials are you up to translate the GEAR section ( on page 4 )?

we then need to find a way to put all the work in the same file... do you have a google account ? we could probably use a googledoc cooperative approach... what do you think ?
Seems like a good idea ! I'll send you me email address by PM.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Generally, one person works on a document at a time. I really don't know how the Italian team coordinated their work, so I can't give any clues about doing it.

When you have a release, you send it to me by email at solomoriah@basicfantasy.org and I post it on the site. The normal rule for the Downloads page is that works have to be complete to be there, but I make an exception for translations; a partial translation is often better than nothing, and might not be found if it were hiding in the Workshop.

One of the main Open Source principles is this: Release early, release often.