And now, something different: Noodles.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

And now, something different: Noodles.

Post by Solomoriah »

As many of you probably know, I live in the upper right-hand corner of the state of Missouri. I grew up like many Americans, eating WAY more than I should on Thanksgiving... turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and noodles.

I hear you all asking: Noodles? Yup. I never knew it was a regional thing until just a few years ago. NO, we're not talking pasta, not like you're thinking. The noodles I grew up eating are homemade, like this:

For every one egg, you need one one tsp. of baking powder and enough flour to bring it together into a ball. Beat the egg, add the baking powder and salt (to taste), and add flour until the dough forms a ball. Roll it out flat and cut it into strips (my wife does it thin, and rolls the flat dough into a roll before cutting it, but it can be done in many ways). Allow the noodles to dry out a bit (a few hours up to a day), then cook them in meat broth or stock. Noodles can be frozen (before cooking), and actually the drying is optional.

Okay, so now you know how they're made. My questions for you all:

1. Have you heard of this? Do you do it, or something like it, for a holiday feast?

2. Where do you live (or where did you grow up)?

I'm hoping to get some idea of the geographic extent of this.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Metroknight

Re: And now, something different: Noodles.

Post by Metroknight »

Born and raised in Ohio.

You just describe home made from scratch egg noodles. My mom used to make that for chicken noodles and other soups or stews since we raised our own chickens, rabbits, goats, and most other meat animals on the farm.

They are much better then what you can find at the store and if you freeze them they stay fresh much longer.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Sounds like a regional thing. I like egg-noodles, but have never seen them in Thanksgiving preparations in areas where I have been. I certainly would not mind seeing them on the table tomorrow!

But, if you want weirdness bear this in mind. My family is multi-cultural in a fantastic way. While I am White American whom family goes all the way back to Mayflower and initial American colonialism, my wife is Asian from the Philippines (but her family is very multi-cultural in itself). Our Thanksgiving celebrations have had many out-side-the-norm dishes. One of my favorites was one year having roasted pig (whole darn pig) complete with the apple in the mouth. Great stuff.

This year, we are not doing the dinner and instead are invited to a family friend's place. This young family consists of another Filipina woman and her Mexican-American (and very Patriotic American Military Man) Husband... in addition there are other guests from far and wide (coming from military families) and I just cannot wait to see what these cultures bring to the table!!

Thanksgiving is a wonderful tradition, and I hope you all have a tremendous day tomorrow with family and friends!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Our Thanksgiving meal is fairly traditional, but my dad has a great outdoor smoker for the turkey and duck.

Home-made noodles sound amazing and I know my wife would really like those, so I think I'm gonna have to try to make some very soon!
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

My father's side of the family is from the Adirondack mountain region of NY, and we make something that sounds similar. Very thick, heavy "noodles", maybe a 1/4" thick, 1" wide strips of dough. Cooked in a beef broth though - delicious! We call them "slip down easies", or just "slip downs".
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

My background is German/Mennonite and they do something very similar. I remember my Oma (grandma) and mom making noodles a lot. It wasn't a holiday thing though, that was just part of the regular meal rotation.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

My mother made a similar dish using leftovers from any large chunk (or whole) of roast beast, be it Turkey, Chicken, Rabbit or Beef. Mom's mom came from Canada, but her family was from Iowa. Mom's dad's family is a mystery.
Yum.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Blazeguard wrote:My background is German/Mennonite and they do something very similar. I remember my Oma (grandma) and mom making noodles a lot. It wasn't a holiday thing though, that was just part of the regular meal rotation.
I think you/Chris are talking about Spaetzle.. My mom is from Germany and she makes them.. it is SO DAMN GOOD!!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

My wife tells me Spaetzle is the same dough, pushed through a sieve or colander to make skinny stringy noodles. My Mom told today about my grandmother making Spaetzle directly into hot soup, allowing the noodles time to cook in it, and serving that as a filling meal.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

dymondy2k wrote:
Blazeguard wrote:My background is German/Mennonite and they do something very similar. I remember my Oma (grandma) and mom making noodles a lot. It wasn't a holiday thing though, that was just part of the regular meal rotation.
I think you/Chris are talking about Spaetzle.. My mom is from Germany and she makes them.. it is SO DAMN GOOD!!
Yep, spaetzle is right. They are delicious!!
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.