Modules for Single Character & Game Master?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
TimothyChenAllen

Modules for Single Character & Game Master?

Post by TimothyChenAllen »

Are there any modules specifically for a single adventurer and a Game Master? I'm running a regular module for a group, but I'd like to also run one just for my son and me: me as game master, him as a solo adventurer.

I imagine I could create an adventure specifically for this-- and I might do that anyway. But if one already exists, I'd like to try that.

Thanks!
SmootRK

Re: Modules for Single Character & Game Master?

Post by SmootRK »

I dont think anything in the BFRPG set of adventures would fit this. That said, solo is tough. You would be wise to have an NPC or two, guard animals or something like a familiar/animal companion, or something similar to pad the solo experience. Well rounded party is vital for successful adventuring. One character cannot possibly cover all the needs that typically occur during the typical adventuring scenarios, at least without the GM heavily editing to gear towards "just the strengths of the character in question".
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Longman

Post by Longman »

I've been playing with my son for several years, solo.

He's a druid, mostly in wilderness or small cave / ruins setups. Like Smoot said, it's cool because he has a guard dog, and an NPC fighter-thief played by me, who comes up with helpful suggestions when required (my son started when he was 8).
He's also part of a druid order with older members who can guide him when he goes back to home base.

That's working fine. I'd make your own campaign and ask your son to help design it.

The solo challenge modules I recall from 3.5 (Cleric's Challenge, et. al.) were very railroady. Kids like to be part of world-making too.

Have fun.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
merias

Post by merias »

I've played some Scarlet Heroes, which is an old-school system explicitly designed for one GM-one player. The core concept is that you can use any existing module with a few new mechanics and run it for one player. As an example, monster hit dice are treated as actual hit points - so a 3 HD giant spider has 3 actual HP, not 3d8 HP. Very fast and easy to convert on the fly.

To use this with BF is easy - there is a free PDF that outlines the mechanics for use with Labyrinth Lord, but as you can imagine, they are directly applicable for BF and pretty much any old-school game. You can get it here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/114895/Bl ... olo-Heroes (it even includes a solo adventure).
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

You can give him a couple of characters to use, if he can handle them, and you can take care of other party members, this way he can play more standard adventures (lacking one class in an adventure can lead to a sooner demise) and can roleplay with you inside a dungeon, a solo adventure with no fellows pc/npc will lack the roleplay goodness
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
TimothyChenAllen

Post by TimothyChenAllen »

Thanks! You've all given me some good ideas, and it's been nice to see that other parents are bonding with their kids this way.