RED OAK: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

NEWS FROM THE WORLD

Post by Longman »

After you have been hanging out in the elf area for a few days, news starts filtering through about various events concerning Boldenwald.

1 - The human explorer Callum 'Columber' Christophus is planning an expedition into previously uncharted waters south and east of the Isles of Salaya (off the map to the far south). The hope is to find unclaimed land and a route past Boldenwald and around the world to the elvish islands on the other side. He is currently in the capital of the Southern Kingdom of Sacer and is leaving next month.

2 - A miracle worker called Tikon the Grey has started operating out of Holy Rolar. It is said he can heal diseases and even bring the dead back to life.

3 - Reports are coming in from the mountain citadel of Fas Maro that a group of Reconquerors (adventurers) led by Big Berne Mendall have been successful in killing several powerful hill giants and discovered them to be in possession of a magic talking staff. Apparently the thing talked for some time when it was first found, in an unknown language.

One thing I need to know...

Does Kilian and Talin get out and about much in Brant proper, or does they sit tight in the University bit?
Longman

Re: To Brant and Back (Chapter 6)

Post by Longman »

see another post above...

If Talin or anyone else wants to dual wield they can (-2 and -5, with a max of +0 with dex applied). But, the off-hand weapon has to be a 1d4 weapon, not a 1d6 weapon. The two shortsword deal is for scouts only, or someone who takes the two weapon fighting option. Talin could make this smaller weapon anything he wanted, but it can only do 1d4. That's a houserule.

Silvered clubs would only be 10gp each but the silvering might not hold a lot of combats. Actual maces or morning stars properly edged with silver would cost 10x base price.
Woe

Post by Woe »

More later for sure. Yes, Kilian, Talin, and Freya will go out in a pack, along with Fido.

The reference to Christopher Columbus = hilarious!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Here's what I have so far. I'll edit later with the profit part. I believe this adds up to more than the party gained.

Buy
Masterwork leather armor (move 40') : 200gp * 2 (Freya, Anna)
Masterwork scale armor (move 30', penalties apply) : 500gp (Kilian)
Masterwork studded armor (move 40') : 300gp (Talin)
Masterwork longbow (+1 to hit) : 800gp (Talin... ouch!)
Masterwork shortbow (+1 to hit) : 250gp * 2 (Freya, Anna)
Masterwork axe (+1 damage) : 70gp (Kilian)
Silvered club : 10gp * 5 (Freya*2, Talin*2, Anna; Kilian thinks this will never work)

Given to Rillow
6 plants of boneset : 0gp
3 plants of tenderease : 0 gp
rune tracings : 0 gp
two vials (invisibility potions?) : 0 gp
6 sprigs Arnica : 0 gp

Traded to Sun
Wyvern hide : ? gp

Sold to elvish carpenter
Cayendore logs : 800gp

Sold to Seb
jewels from twelve cups with jewels
a fewye olde Boldenwald coines
misc coins (137gp) : all items for 917gp

Sold to winemaker
unopened cask of sherry : 300gp

Unsold
two wine bottles
jester's hat : no value?
old leather belt : no value?
silver plate, 50gp?

Stuff to keep
Sword from Nore
One-half pint of wyvern poison
Wyvern teeth
goblin oil (1#)
goblin poo (priceless and weightless)
Last edited by Woe on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Bought items: 2620gp
Sold items: 2017gp

As expected, wish list > cash on hand. 8-) Talin's dream of that masterwork bow is long gone. As for the remainder... is Sun willing to drop the price of the scale armor further since he's going to be getting more hide in return? That's not enough to bridge the gap for the bow, so it's more planning for the future (or for food!).

Removing Talin's bow, the party will settle for the rest of the items and 197gp. Sound right?

ed: At this point. There's two addendums below. :)
Last edited by Woe on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

I noticed another error: clubs are 2sp. If I go with the 10x rule, that'd be 2gp not 10gp. Of course, even the EE prices don't hold up to that rule: the silver arrows are 20x the price, not 10x.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Whoops! I forgot faithful Fido, and upgrading his armor. Can Sun make brigandine barding for Fido? Using the EE table (pg 9), I'm guessing that will be 125gp (0.25 * 500gp) and will raise Fido's AC up to 18.

Possibly finally, can the current armor be sold?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Since the gear thread is about wrapped up...

Tiana will stay in the University quarters for the duration of Brant. Between skill-ups and spell studying, she doesn't have a lot of time for dallying about the city. Does Tiana need to pay a visit to the elven military/political ambassador at the Palace? If so, she will (and take Freya if she promises to be on her best behavior).

The others, however, will definitely go exploring. Talin will take Fido where he can, and leave him in the elvish animal pens (?) when he can't. They'll avoid the docks, the seedy areas, the unsafe parts of town. They'll definitely visit the guild halls, the adventurers' hangouts, the merchants square. Freya wants to explore the palace, but probably not able to get nearby. She doesn't know enough to pull rank or drop names, so she'll go with the "I wanted to see what it looked like" approach (I know that won't work -- it's RP). They won't carry a lot of gear, just their armor, weapons, and only a few coins. They'll get lunches from the kitchens on their way out.

Rumors/story arcs:
Tiana comments that Columber Christophus's expedition will obviously fail. It will take centuries of heavy industrialization and global warming to melt enough of the icecaps to open up the Southeast Passage. What he needs to do is head west, past the Edge of the World, to get to the elvish lands. Nobody else understands what she's talking about.

Kilian is skeptical about Tikor the Grey. Either he's a charlatan or worse, a cultist. However, a part of him wants to believe that divine magic has truly entered the world again. Not necessarily the current Church -- he's still unsure how much he can believe in a Church which is purely secular. The Old Gods (dwarven gods) were much more visible in the world. He'll try to find out more about this Tikor, whether he's raising an army of peasants, founding a nation, or just chilling in a shack and performing miracles for those who come to him.

Everyone is interested in the Big Berne Mendall story. Tiana and Freya are most interested in the staff. What language did it speak? What happened to it? What magic does it have? Kilian is more interested in the fight with the giants. How many were there? Did they fight with clubs the size of oaks and boulders the size of wagons? How did they defeat the giants? Talin is most interested in the Reconquerers party makeup, and other encounters they've had in Boldenwald. Are they mostly warriors, or do they have magical capabilities (like Tiana) too? How powerful are they, what do they do when they aren't adventuring? Talin is thinking a lot about the treasure and whether he should donate some back to Red Oak.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

ARMOR - THE DM MAKES A DEAL

Post by Longman »

OK wow.

First of all, yes, the current armor and other weapons can all be sold, at cost, to the elves. Can you add that on?

Second - I'm sticking with 10gp on the silvered clubs. Let's call them maces instead.

Third - the elves will not make dog armor. In fact there is very little in Brant at all. You'd be better off in Red Oak. The rangers can do you some masterwork dog leather armor for a war dog for 50gp, which will give Fido his current AC but his move will go back up to 40 again. They don't make other types. Sorry, no dice on that. Take the masterwork leather.

Fourth - You will get another 300gp if you only get 1 suit of wyvern armor made and give him the rest.

Finally - the silver plate was included in my calculation of how much you'd make from the guy buying the treasure.

How about this as a wrap?

YOU GET:
Masterwork leather armor for Freya (existing) and Anna (made) - (move 40'): 400 gp.
Masterwork wyvern scale armor (move 30', penalties apply): 500gp (Kilian). MADE.
Masterwork studded armor (move 40'): 300gp (Talin). MADE.

This means a total of 1200gp is spent at the elvish armorer. He still wants to keep the rest of the hide so you actually only pay him 900.

50p dog armor for Fido.

From the elven bowyer, with Freya watching and learning as they are made:
Masterwork shortbow (+1 to hit) : 250gp * 2 (Freya, Anna) = 500gp.

From LEFTY CARTWRIGHT, the dwarf:
Masterwork axe (+1 damage) : 70gp (Kilian). This already existed.

Silvered club: 10gp * 5 (Freya*2, Talin*2, Anna; Kilian thinks this will never work). From a human weapon-maker who thinks you are all a bit odd but is happy to take your money.

All this equals 1570.

You spent 56 in Red Oak on Anna and the carriage so that's 1626 total cost.

Your total haul without selling the poison was in fact 2015, so you actually have 390 gold left. Plus whatever you get from selling the rest of the weapons and armor at cost.

Everything else is assumed to have no value, or factored into a deal whereby Tiana gets trained at 3rd and 5th level.

I'd like to draw a line under that and move on with the other stuff. Cool with you?

ps - back later to do rp stuff.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Mostly done with housekeeping.

First of all, yes, the current armor and other weapons can all be sold, at cost, to the elves. Can you add that on? What is cost vs standard pricing? Is cost 85% of the prices in EE?

Also, I updated the character sheets with everything save encumbrance. I'll do that when I outfit for the next journey. Ok?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot