Out of Character Chat

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Locked
Sir Bedivere
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Hywaywolf wrote:you might want to OOC that statement in the game thread. Solomoriah said he won't be reading this one as often as he does the game thread.
Yeah, I just assume he doesn't check the OOCC area much.

What do we do from here, guys?

I suggest our first priority is a quick recon of the tunnels and rooms that lead off from where we were ambushed so we have an idea of whether our rear is safe or not when we leave the staircase (probably not, but it would be good to confirm) and to make a decision about which way to head.

Right now, I think Timorel and maybe one other PC could stand at the foot of the stairs while the other 2-3 do a very quick recon - just listen at doors, take a few steps down the various hallways, etc., then report back to the group so we can decide which way to go.

If one of the recon elements is hit, yell out and run back to Timorel (& co.). Then fight through or conduct a fighting withdrawal as the situation seems to dictate.

If the bad guys flee, my suggestion would be to let them go unless there's some good reason to give chase. If we chase, we run the risk of being ambushed and the risk of getting lost.

What do you think?

On the mapping, there should be something we can rig up until we can afford to buy proper mapping materials. Maybe I could carve a small plank of wood or something. If Timorel is mapping, though, he can't carry a torch, so someone else will have to (even if it's dropped when the fighting starts).
Sir Bedivere
User avatar
Maliki
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Sounds good to me, Dorne will stay with Timorel at the stairs, with metal armor and a heavy load he only moves at 10'. I would suggest that we are extra careful on the stairs, just incase the decided to prepare for our return.
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 8803
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:11 pm

BTW, regarding using a torch defensively: If you are using it to block weapon attacks (like a shield), then there is a chance every time you are attacked that your torch will be put out.

Realistically, it's only when the attack roll is close to hitting that the shield, or shielding weapon (or torch) is "hit." It's at those times that I roll a saving throw for the torch.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
jstater
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:40 pm

That works for me. How about Grumm listens at the east door, Shybolt at the west door. Then Grumm walks down the north passage and looks around the corner while Skybolt walks down the south passage. Timoral and Dorne can keep their eyes on the east passage and be ready to block an advance from that direction.
User avatar
Hywaywolf
Posts: 5271
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 pm

My preference is to recon in force rather than to individually go up each passage.. I don't feel a need to know where the other passages lead off to just yet. I am comfortable with doing it the same way we did it last time. Look up the passages we can see, then investigate one of the doors, then open it to see whats inside. Clean it out including following through any doors in that room to other rooms until we have either cleaned out every room in that direction or we come to another hall. I don't like spreading ourselves to thin by expanding up each of the passages to see whats around the corner. Thats just gives us more uncertainty. So, my recommendation is to pick a direction and go with it while keeping a close eye behind us. We'll explore it all eventually.

With that said, Shybolt will listen to the group and go with the consensus. If we decide to investigate each passage individually, I will take the North passage. Unless someone with infravision wishes to investigate the passages, then I will try to jury rig the torch to perch on the wall, or lean it against the bottom step so it doesn't go out, and stand ready with my bow.

Also, the torch has about the same likelyhood of going out if I drop it before encounters as it does if I use it as a shield, so I think I wil take my chances with it going out as a shield.
Sir Bedivere
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Hywaywolf wrote:My preference is to recon in force rather than to individually go up each passage.. I don't feel a need to know where the other passages lead off to just yet. ... Look up the passages we can see, then investigate one of the doors, then open it to see whats inside. Clean it out including following through any doors in that room to other rooms until we have either cleaned out every room in that direction or we come to another hall. I don't like spreading ourselves to thin by expanding up each of the passages to see whats around the corner. Thats just gives us more uncertainty. So, my recommendation is to pick a direction and go with it while keeping a close eye behind us. We'll explore it all eventually.
Just picking a direction and all of us heading that way probably is the safest way to go. We just assume there are bad guys behind us. I'm fine w/ that if that's what the party agrees on.

However, when you say:
Hywaywolf wrote:I am comfortable with doing it the same way we did it last time.
you know I cringe. Last time we split into four different directions (if you count Dorne standing fast), got ambushed, and Timorel died. Comfortable is not quite the word I'd use for it.

Anyway, Harald may want to block the passageway behind us for his own safety, though that may put us in a bind.
Sir Bedivere
User avatar
jstater
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:00 am

Together is fine. Perhaps we should check the west door first - Shybolt does the checking, we form a cordon around him.
User avatar
Maliki
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:06 am

jstater wrote:Together is fine. Perhaps we should check the west door first - Shybolt does the checking, we form a cordon around him.
This will work for me as well. Dorne will bring up the rear, and will focus his attention on what is behind us.
User avatar
Hywaywolf
Posts: 5271
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 am

Perhaps comfortable was a poor choice of words. I just meant that trogs surprise on 1-4 chance so we were going to get jumped no matter what we did. And although we went our seperate ways at first, luckily they didn't jump us until everyone was bunched up near the south side of the room. if it had been only one peson who went to look up that passage he would have taken 16 points of damage from an attack by all 3. ouch. We were just victims of some damn good rolls on the monsters part.

So, we are agreed then, we all slip down the stairs like last time, same marching order, same carful inspection of the walls ceiling and steps. When we get to the bottom, Shybolt will listen, lookat the walls ceiling and floor of the room, look for anything that may have changed, then step into the room. First he'll look up the north passage, if its clear we wil all then step into the room in a defensive measure. I would like to listen at that east door and if I hear nothing then we can move to the west door. from that vanatge point I think you guys can look up the east and south passage while I listen at the door, check it for traps and if its locked. then we can either open the door or get rid of whatever threat may be in the passages depending on what Solomoriah tells us we see.

BTW, as the party thief, I don't mind moving ahead of the party to stealthily investigate passages, doors, etc but I get chills when I am more than a round away from rescue :)
Sir Bedivere
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Out of Character Chat

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Sounds good. Shall we jump into the Chapter One thread and get going? I'm fine w/ Hyway calling for the party, if that's cool w/ everyone. I'll add in Timorel's specifics as we go.
Sir Bedivere
Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest