Rangers and Paladins Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Longman

Re: Rangers and Paladins Supplement

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:42 am

The current ranger class works fine in my view. The penalty to outdoor movement from wearing heavy armor is enough to dissuade the ranger in my game from doing it, without having to make a class-based rule that he can't. It means he can still fight in armor if they go underground, but he will always be best with the longbow, outdoors.

If there is one tweak I would make to the Ranger class it is that the +2 bonus on the bow should only apply outdoors. (Or maybe it is only +1 indoors?)

I think collectively, ranger, scout, thief and fighter classes here cover all that I would be likely to want from a non-spellcaster. (I don't use paladins. They make me feel queasy.)
Woe

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:56 pm

I do wonder if giving the paladin protection from evil with a ten foot radius is a bit powerful. Anyone who playtested this have comments?
I play paladins often, and it's not OP at all. It protects nearby party members from being possessed (rarely needed), +2 on AC and saves (purely defensive), and prevents summoned creatures from nearing the paladin. IOW, it's usually +2 on AC and saves for the party, until the tide of battle starts drifting the paladin and other party members away from each other.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Dimirag

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 am

I play a 2E paladin, the divine aura is not powerful, although in 2E is just a -2AC and +2 to savings. Sometimes I use that ability as a "beacon" making that evil opponents attack the paladin instead of any other party member.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Itlas

Post Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 am

The classes are great,I just wold suggest a couple of things

Paladin:spells based on Charisma instead than on Wisdom

Strongholds,as other optional classes I think Rangers and Paladins lack of proper rules for strongholds.
A Ranger could buy a watchtower in a wild area for example while a Paladin could build a temple for his/her Divinity,but I personally would not allow a paladin to gain followers due of the very strict life they live.