Basic Fantasy Character Generator

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
EvilGenius

Basic Fantasy Character Generator

Post by EvilGenius »

I have a working, if not as complete as I'd like, Character Generator up at http://basicfantasy.andrewcooperonline.com/. It should be fully functional and conforms with the standard rules. I wrote a bit more about it over here... http://www.andrewcooperonline.com/2014/ ... generator/. So, I won't rehash what I said over here.

What I would like to emphasize is that this is an Open Source work in progress and that I am perfectly willing to share with anyone and everyone. I'd also love to have collaborators. I think the Javascript code is fairly simple and don't mind working with folks who want to contribute.

In any case, enjoy.
dymondy2k

Re: Basic Fantasy Character Generator

Post by dymondy2k »

Nice!!! If you could kick out the results to a formatted character sheet page that would be awesome!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

A printable sheet is in the plans for the future. Glad you like it.

Andrew
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

I like it...a lot. :P
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Very nice ! If I can be a bit picky, maybe it would be better if the stats were be in the same order than the rulebook ?
Delver

Post by Delver »

Really cool! I ran some of my characters through it to check whether what I'd calculated by hand jibed with your numbers, and it worked! Nice!

When I began rolling some random characters, I thought the Attributes were awful low, then I realized you are probably coding by the book which is straight 3d6 each. I almost always do 4d6 drop lowest, so I'm spoiled by seeing higher numbers! ;-)

Works great though, and I wish I had the time to help with some graphics... maybe this winter.

Thanks for doing that though, great contribution to the community!
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

One of the things I want to do is allow the user to pick a method of rolling. The standard would obviously be 3d6 for each stat. 4d6 and drop the lowest would be a common one as well.

I did give the ability to just pick scores which alleviates some of the issues.

Some help with the graphics would be awesome. I can do code. Art... not so much.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You need a "flip" option that subtracts all six scores from 20. Like I discussed in my post a few weeks back in GD.

As far as the layout goes, yeah, it needs some work. Let's see... looking at the source, it appears you started with a framework I'm not familiar with. You've laid things out with divs, but I think some of them need to be given classes or IDs.

... So. Just gave it a once-over. I don't know how your webserver is set up, but I've attached a zipfile with my approach to the main page and css.
Attachments
andrewcooper.zip
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I didn't actually use a framework. I just threw some basic div tags down to hold information and then used some really basic CSS to play with the location of the tags.

The javascript itself is just an object that holds all the current character information. When something changes, the object updates.

I'll look at your css and html and see what I can do.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

All updated and much, much better. Thanks Solomoriah. I'll update the Github code soonish.