Season 1 - Episode 4: The Goblin Caves

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

SmootRK

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek calms a bit, but still curses the sneaky goblins under his breath. "Keep your eyes open for more goblins, boys," quietly remarks Nivek as he waits as patiently (as he can) to be freed.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

"Aye aye, Sergeant," Karl whispers. He knows that the best way to free someone from a net is to fold it like a blanket. He grabs one corner and peels it off his compatriots like it were a sheet on someone's bed.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
JoeCarr28

Back on Track

Post by JoeCarr28 »

With the aid of Karl's "net lore", Nivek and Hiker are soon freed from the goblins' trap.

Much to his own disgust, Paladin is unable to fathom the lock himself [he rolled at 48 for 'Open Locks']. However, Tannen is able to retrieve the goblin's key and free the halfling from his little prison. [I assume Tannen takes the easy option rather than noisily forcing the lock with his axe.]

[Don't you think it might have been safer for the rest of the party to leave Paladin in the cage and simply collect him on the way out? :lol: ].

So, overall, you're back on track. You've got a six dead goblin guards (for a total of 60 XP, 10 XP each, 11 XP for the humans). At least for the moment, there are no signs of any further goblins. Beyond the guardpost, which consists of little more than a rough wooden table, six chairs and the makeshift prison, the entrance tunnel continues east for another 30 feet or so, before apparently ending at a T-junction.

[Is anyone going to map?]

Nivek: HP 4/7. No ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 5/9
4 pm, 27th day of Harvestide
SmootRK

Re: Back on Track

Post by SmootRK »

JoeCarr28 wrote:[Is anyone going to map?]
[ooc] I would offer, but posting it up would be difficult for me to do efficiently. It would be nice if someone else might do this.

[in character] Upon getting freed, Nivek takes a moment to inspect the area (secret doors and/or dwarf stonework ability). Assuming no further dangers, Nivek will assist checking for valuables in the area. "If we can hide these bodies and signs of the fight, then perhaps the Goblins will think they had some deserters rather than invaders?" he quietly remarks between tasks.
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

As Karl helps to free his comrades under the net he takes a moment to inspect the blow Nivek took with the flat of the goblin's blade. "Keep your shield arm up," he tells the dwarf like a teacher counseling a poorly performing student, indicating proper form with his own shield. "Up, up."

[ooc: Karl is illiterate and too stupid to properly map, sorry]

At Nivek's suggestion about hiding the bodies, Karl displays subtle brilliance in saying, "No use, goblins and wolves will smell the blood, better just to hurry... I hate goblins."
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

actingkeith wrote: [ooc: Karl is illiterate and too stupid to properly map, sorry]
Ditto for Hiker!

Hiker rolled out of the net and nods his thanks to Karl. "Thank ye much sir, it was getting a bit tight in there and I couldnt find my way out fer some reason or 'nother."
actingkeith wrote: Karl displays subtle brilliance in saying, "No use, goblins and wolves will smell the blood, better just to hurry... I hate goblins."
"Yeah, and what about Miss Alma, shes gotta be mighty scared in this big cave with'em goblins runnin round. I think we best hurry up." Hiker picks up his torch and takes a moment to light it again. Then pulled his blade and waited for the party to move.
Birthright

Re: Back on Track

Post by Birthright »

Tannen agrees with the other Humans. "I think we should press onwards as soon as we can. Nivek, you can see in the dark, can't you? Would you be able to sneak forward to see what lies ahead in either direction up the tunnel? Our torches will give the rest of us away should we run in to any more goblins."

Tannen then looks about at the goblins' "furniture"

"We might be able to pile up the table and chairs right next to the passage way so that if we need to get out of here in a hurry, we can topple them over to obstruct the way through."

[Tannen can map, although he doen't have the necessary materials. Can we just metagame that side of things?]
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Leaving the boys to inspect the guard area, Nivek takes Tannen's advice to head to the end of the passage to peer around the corner. Doing his best to move without noise, he makes his way over to take a peek....
JoeCarr28

Darkvision

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote: Upon getting freed, Nivek takes a moment to inspect the area (secret doors and/or dwarf stonework ability).
[Rolls] Nivek doesn't detect any unusual constructions.
SmootRK wrote: Leaving the boys to inspect the guard area, Nivek takes Tannen's advice to head to the end of the passage to peer around the corner. Doing his best to move without noise, he makes his way over to take a peek....
The other party members temporarily extinguish their torches to give Nivek's darkvision the best chance of working. Moving as steathily as a dwarf is able (i.e not very) he creeps to the end of the entrance tunnel and first of all peers around to the left (north). Here a short corridor (about 20 feet) ends in some crude curtains made from rawhide and cheap cloth.The other thing that Nivek notices is that the smell coming from beyond of the curtains is truly appalling; a nauseous combination of rotten meat and animal dung.

In the other direction (right, south), the corridor extends beyond the range of Nivek's darkvision. The tunnel is similar to the one leading from the cave entrance, but with no discernible side passages or changes of direction (at least as far as Nivek can see without actually moving down it). The smell down this tunnel, whilst certainly not pleasant, is somewhat less intoxicating.

Nivek: HP 4/7. No ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 5/9
4 pm, 27th day of Harvestide
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek backs up quietly as he can to return to the others and to report the conditions he saw. He whispers, "I believe there is some sort of den of beasts down the left corridor, and it is very close.. so keep your voices down. The other way continues beyond what even I can see".