Beginner's Essentials

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Beginner's Essentials

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't know what Mike used to create it, but he didn't offer the source document.

Sometimes you just have to take what you get.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jackel

Post by jackel »

Just my 2 cents. I like the character sheet done by Ray Allen. I like it because it has spell sheets that go with it and I like that it has the same border as the rulebook and morgansfort. Again just my 2 cents worth. I like your beginner's essentials. Thank you very much for making it. I would like to ask.... I have hopes of running either a play by post or a play by email. My question is this... I would like to email this file (beginner's essentials) to my players. Would that be a problem for anyone?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

jackel wrote:I would like to email this file (beginner's essentials) to my players. Would that be a problem for anyone?
Absolutely no problem at all. I'm the author, so I know it's the case here, but I have the impression that that would be generally true of all of the BFRPG files Solomoriah puts out. (Though, better check with him on that.)

There are two omissions in the current release, as noted above. The spell description for 'Protection from Evil' is incomplete, and the Attack Bonus of +1 for all first level characters was left out. I am going over the supplement this week and will put out a corrected release this weekend. If you need the material now, let me know and I'll send you my working copy.

Also, if you or your players have any feedback on it, be sure to post it here.

Cheers!
Sir Bedivere
jackel

Post by jackel »

Thank you Sir Bedivere. I'm currently in the planning stage. I just made the decicion to use BF instead of one of the other retro clone. Now I just have to figure a few other things out before even advertizing for players. O don't want to jump in with both feet and then drown. I want to have a man o war waiting for my feet land on before jumping in.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I'm about done with the next release, and I have about half a page that's blank. Any suggestions for other things to include?

The wrestling and vehicle rules are too long, I think.
Sir Bedivere
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Maybe this isn't the place for it, but since this is a beginners essential and likely to be giving to people that have played nothing but modern D&D maybe you could put a brief description of what you think classic fantasy gaming is all about. Something referencing the difference between rules and rulings and the players own imagination vs. a skill system. Simple rules that are easy to remember and everything else gets played out at the table. DM Rules on any disagreements and the game moves on. A description that doesn't put down modern gaming, but highlights what BFRPG is all about.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Hywaywolf wrote:Maybe this isn't the place for it, but since this is a beginners essential and likely to be giving to people that have played nothing but modern D&D maybe you could put a brief description of what you think classic fantasy gaming is all about. ...
I like the idea, but it would take some work, and I'm not sure I'm the man to do it. Maybe if Solomoriah or Smoot or yourself wanted to write something like that up, it could make its way into the next release.

I didn't come up with anything else to put in, and through some editing, there is about 3/4s of a page open for other material, if anyone has other ideas.

I'm releasing it as-is, following Solomoriah's philosophy of releasing often.
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Bedivere
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I've emailed the files to Solomoriah. Here's a list of the changes in release 5:
  • Some editing for style and clarity.
  • Recommended new players download and use a character record sheet.
  • Added that all first level characters get an Attack Bonus of +1.
  • Added brief racial descriptions to the race charts.
  • Cut two redundant paragraphs in the Combat Movement section. Added a reference to where those rules can be found, right below the Combat Movement section.
  • Added missing information in the Protection from Evil spell description.
I hope this release is error-free and can last until Release 76 of the Core Rules comes out.

However, if anyone finds errors, please let me know and I'll get out another release ASAP.
Sir Bedivere
josha

Post by josha »

I find the Begginer's Essentials a little plain and lifeless. Perhaps they should be presented in a format similar to the D&D 4e Red Box.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Isn't "a little lifeless" like "a little pregnant"? :)

Well, I might be interested in rewriting them as you suggest except that I have no idea whatsoever of what the D&D 4e Red Box material looks like. Perhaps you could tell me what features you would recommend?
Sir Bedivere