Season 1 - Episode 4: The Goblin Caves

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

SmootRK

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by SmootRK »

"I see well enough in the dark if I get separated from you boys," explains Nivek. He continues, "I will go without a torch, but I will stay close to you all."
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Iain_IF wrote:In sneaks Paladin. He'll sneak down into the darker part of the cave, let his eyes adjust and listen intently.
Paladin slips into the entrance tunnel. As he advances he attempts to move silently, listen attentively, and keep to whatever shadows are generated by the afternoon sunshine outside the cave.

[Various rolls]

The tunnel appears to be a part of a natural cave complex and is about 10 feet wide and 6 - 8 feet high. It is dry and somewhat airless. As Paladin advances down the tunnel, the fading light is replaced by an increasingly fetid smell.

About 30 feet into the cave, the halfling approaches the secondary tunnel leading off to the right. He sidles up to the corner and, as he doesn’t hear anything, pokes his head around for a look. Much to his surprise, he finds himself face-to-face with two more goblins who are hiding in what would be better described as an ‘alcove’ than a ‘tunnel’. Clearly, despite his best efforts to move silently, they were waiting for the intruder and immediately launch attacks.

[Rolls surprise for Paladin - 4, so not surprised]

Initiative
Paladin: 1 + 2 (dexterity) + 1 (halfling) = 4.
Goblin 5: 4.
Goblin 6: 3.

Paladin - what’s your next move?

There’s still enough light cast by the cave entrance at this point that you can fight unhindered.

Nivek: No ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 5/9
3 pm, 27th day of Harvestide
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Assuming we hear the goblin assault upon Paladin...

"Ack, so it begins again," exclaims Nivek, as he heads down the tunnel to assist.

Nivek will move into the tunnel and try to draw at least one of the goblin's attention to himself. Attacking when/if possible.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The general gloominess of the cave, coupled with the fact that the two ambushing goblins are not in plain site of the rest of the party, makes it difficult for the others to immediately discern what is going on. This means that Paladin and the goblins will complete one round before the remainder of the party get to act.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin drops his bow and sticks his hands up in the air. "Don't hit me! I surrender!" he says. "There are bad men outside!"
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

JoeCarr28 wrote:The general gloominess of the cave, coupled with the fact that the two ambushing goblins are not in plain site of the rest of the party, makes it difficult for the others to immediately discern what is going on. This means that Paladin and the goblins will complete one round before the remainder of the party get to act.
Change my response to:

{remove: Assuming} Once we hear the goblin assault upon Paladin...

"Ack, so it begins again," exclaims Nivek, as he heads down the tunnel to assist.

Nivek will move into the tunnel and try to draw at least one of the goblin's attention to himself. Attacking when/if possible.
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Hiker follows Nivek wielding his torch, shouldering his bow and drawing his short sword.
JoeCarr28

Surrender

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Iain_IF wrote:Paladin drops his bow and sticks his hands up in the air. "Don't hit me! I surrender!" he says. "There are bad men outside!"
The two goblins can't understand what Paladin says, but they take the dropping of his weapon and the raising of his hands to mean "I surrender".

[I'll make a reaction roll to determine the goblins' response to this turn of events. I'll apply a +2 modifier as Paladin is doing his best to appear unthreatening. However his low charisma provides a -1 penalty. The overall result is 9 - 'Favourable' - Paladin lives (for now!)].

The goblins appear unthreatened by the halfling. One of them roughly grabs him, pushes him into a small caged area that acts as a makeshift prison in the far corner of their guard post, slams the door and locks it. Meanwhile, the other goblin peers around the corner of their hiding place to weigh-up the remainder of the party.

Nivek: No ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 5/9
3 pm, 27th day of Harvestide
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Karl followed the dwarf into the cave, hoping to keep his wounded sergeant from the front of the fight.

"Keep your shield arm high," he said to no one in particular.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Hiker follows Nivek next to Karl providing light for the move forward. However, Hiker is still perplexed by the "shield arm high" comment, but it slowly dawns on him as Karl actually raised his shield arm...