Ibl de Dibble's new monsters

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
ibldedibble

Ibl de Dibble's new monsters

Post by ibldedibble »

Since there isn't a "Workshop" forum here I'll just make this thread here, I hope that's okay. :)
I know there's a thread on Dragonsfoot with new BFRPG monsters, but that one hasn't been used for a few months, so I figured I could make one here instead.

I don't know how many new monsters I'll put up, only time will tell, but I have two to start with at least and first up is the:

Kobold Spitter
Armor Class: 13 (11)
Hit Dice: 1*
No. Of Attacks: 1 weapon or 1 spit
Damage: 1d4 or by weapon or special
Movement: 20', Unarmored 30'
No. Appearing:
Save As: Fighter 1
Morale: 6
Treasure Type:
XP: 37

They look like normal Kobold Warriors, but they have a special Acid Spit attack that lets them spit acid once every 1d4+1 rounds.
The Acid Spit attack reaches up to 10' and hits one target, the target takes 1d6 damage and gets -2 to hit on it's next attack.

(I haven't put up No. Appearing nor Treasure Type because I don't really know what to put there, if you can think of any numbers and types that seem to fit, let me know.)
ibldedibble

Re: Ibl de Dibble's new monsters

Post by ibldedibble »

This one is more of a reskin of a goblin.

Madlin
Hit Dice: 1
No. Of Attacks: 2 claws + bite
Damage: 1d4/1d4 + 1d6
Movement: 30', Unarmored 40'
No. Appearing:
Morale: 12
Treasure Type:
XP: 25

Mad goblins. They froth at the mouth.
They only use their bite attack if they hit with both their claw attacks.

I haven't quite decided on how to use this one in my own campaigns, either I'll use these as the standard goblins, as part of a goblin army or as drugged goblins.
It'll add something extra to the otherwise fairly bland goblins either way.

(As with the Kobold Spitter I haven't added a No. Appearing nor a Treasure Type.)
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

These sound like they could be used where an unnatural pestilence has ravaged the region.
ibldedibble

Post by ibldedibble »

Hywaywolf wrote:These sound like they could be used where an unnatural pestilence has ravaged the region.
You're right, they do have that feel, don't they? :)
Here's another one in a similar theme:

Ogre, Mutated
Armor Class: 18 (15)
Hit Dice: 6+2
No. Of Attacks: 4 fists
Damage: 2d8/2d8/2d8/2d8
No. Appearing:
Save As: Fighter 6
Morale: 10
Treasure Type:
XP: 500

Mutated ogres are slightly larger than normal ogres, they have two heads, four arms and grotesque muscles that pulses all the time.
The heads control one part of the body each, so each attack a mutated ogre does is either four fists on one target or two fists on two different targets.
Their hands lack fingers, so they can't wield anything.

Originally there was only supposed to be one (or was it two?) of these in a campaign I wrote, in the lair of a mad scientist.
They were larger (8+4 HD) and did more damage (2d10 with each fist)... and I didn't really like that version, so here's a new one, slightly weaker.
ibldedibble

Post by ibldedibble »

Dog, Undead
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 1+1*
No. Of Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1d4 + hold + paralysis
Movement: 30'
No. Appearing:
Treasure Type: none

Undead dogs are made up of mostly skin and bone, with a few pieces of rotting meat still hanging on.

After biting an opponent, a dog can hold on, doing 1d4 damage automatically every round, until killed or until the victim spends an attack breaking free (which requires a save vs. Death Ray, adjusted by the character's Strength bonus).
Those bitten by an undead dog must save vs. Paralyzation or be paralyzed for 2d8 turns. Elves are immune to this paralyzation.
Like all undead, they may be turned by Clerics (as skeleton) and are immune to sleep, charm and hold magics.

This one was made when I thought of a plot where a little girl and her puppy got kidnapped (the girl got infused with demonic powers, while the dog got killed and reanimated). I never did use the plot in the end...
As you can probably tell it's a Normal Dog with ghoul bite added.
ibldedibble

Post by ibldedibble »

Last one for the day is another undead creature:

Skeleton, Runed
Armor Class: 13
Hit Dice: 1*
No. Of Attacks: 1
Damage: 1d6 or by weapon
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing:

Runed skeletons have a faint blue glow around them.
They are affected by a permanent Anti-Magic Shell.
They take only ½ damage from edged weapons, and only a single point from arrows, bolts or sling stones.
Like all undead, they may be turned by Clerics (as skeleton with a -2 penalty) and are immune to sleep, charm and hold magics.

Obviously something to use when your players get too cocky because of magic items.
Originally I had them be HD 1*-5*, but I figured it was easy enough to modify if anyone wants to do that themselves.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

ibldedibble wrote:Dog, Undead
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 1+1*
No. Of Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1d4 + hold + paralysis
Movement: 30'
No. Appearing:

Undead dogs are made up of mostly skin and bone, with a few pieces of rotting meat still hanging on.

After biting an opponent, a dog can hold on, doing 1d4 damage automatically every round, until killed or until the victim spends an attack breaking free (which requires a save vs. Death Ray, adjusted by the character's Strength bonus).
Those bitten by an undead dog must save vs. Paralyzation or be paralyzed for 2d8 turns. Elves are immune to this paralyzation.
Like all undead, they may be turned by Clerics (as skeleton) and are immune to sleep, charm and hold magics.

This one was made when I thought of a plot where a little girl and her puppy got kidnapped (the girl got infused with demonic powers, while the dog got killed and reanimated). I never did use the plot in the end...
As you can probably tell it's a Normal Dog with ghoul bite added.
The Plague Hound in the Field Guide is effectively just like this entry.

Good Stuff. Spitting Kobolds is great way to freak out some over-confident adventurers with a couple levels under their belt!!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

ibldedibble wrote:
Hywaywolf wrote:These sound like they could be used where an unnatural pestilence has ravaged the region.
You're right, they do have that feel, don't they? :)
Here's another one in a similar theme:
You could load out a whole adventure based on these. Somewhere between a mad scientists deliberate creations and a magic-blasted/cursed zone. Throw in some more alternates, and keep the players guessing.

Heck, just use them in a regular campaign, and keep them on their toes.
Originally there was only supposed to be one (or was it two?) of these in a campaign I wrote, in the lair of a mad scientist.
They were larger (8+4 HD) and did more damage (2d10 with each fist)... and I didn't really like that version, so here's a new one, slightly weaker.
I think the scaled down gives you more flexibility in use. Maybe use the original stats for a giant-sized (or giant-based) version? Only with fingers so they have an easier time picking up rocks to throw. Heh.
Go with a smile!
ibldedibble

Post by ibldedibble »

SmootRK wrote:The Plague Hound in the Field Guide is effectively just like this entry.
I can't believe I've missed that one. Would have been better in my original plot as well.
Oh well, at least there's a low-level undead dog now, if anyone needs one. :)
SmootRK wrote:Good Stuff. Spitting Kobolds is great way to freak out some over-confident adventurers with a couple levels under their belt!!
Thank you!
Freaking out my players was my original plan for both the spitting kobolds and the madlins (although, the more I look at the madlins, the more I'm considering using them as the norm for goblins).
Joe the Rat wrote:You could load out a whole adventure based on these. Somewhere between a mad scientists deliberate creations and a magic-blasted/cursed zone. Throw in some more alternates, and keep the players guessing.

Heck, just use them in a regular campaign, and keep them on their toes.
I'd say use them in a regular campaign, just throw them in there when your players think they know how to handle everything. :)
Joe the Rat wrote:I think the scaled down gives you more flexibility in use. Maybe use the original stats for a giant-sized (or giant-based) version? Only with fingers so they have an easier time picking up rocks to throw. Heh.
Yeah, which is why I disliked my original version of them.
Not a bad idea to make a giant-sized version of them... hm... I'll think about that one. :)
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

ibldedibble wrote:This one is more of a reskin of a goblin.

Madlin
Hit Dice: 1
No. Of Attacks: 2 claws + bite
Damage: 1d4/1d4 + 1d6
No. Appearing:
Treasure Type:
XP: 25

Mad goblins. They froth at the mouth.
They only use their bite attack if they hit with both their claw attacks.

I haven't quite decided on how to use this one in my own campaigns, either I'll use these as the standard goblins, as part of a goblin army or as drugged goblins.
It'll add something extra to the otherwise fairly bland goblins either way.
I would pair these up with normal goblins, maybe led around on a chain by a handler and let loose on the PCs as shock troops.