Craziest In-game action ever

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
-1warrior

Craziest In-game action ever

Post by -1warrior »

This is a thread for talking about the craziest things that you've seen done in a table-top RPG. This means in the game, not at the table (because I've seen some pretty crazy dice-rolling rituals).

One of mine:

(I was the GM at this time)

Many years ago, my gaming group (their characters, that is) was exploring a rather mysterious tropical island (you probably know the one I'm talking about). Anyway, they ran into a roaming band of knights. These were NPCs that I had added into the game to help the characters in an upcoming encounter which I deemed to be too tough for the PCs to handle alone. What happened next surprised me. One of my players insisted that these so-called knights were dopplegangers. He ended up convincing the other players of the same thing. And so, without bothering to cast "know alignment" or "detect evil" (both of which the PC cleric had), the PCs attacked the knights. Three out of eight PCs survived the battle, and all the knights were slain. The surviving PCs fled the isle, fighting there way through the wild. Only one PC left the isle alive, along with several NPCs. That campaign started going downhill from there.

(Keep in mind, these were experienced players. They should have known better. The knights only greeted them, and never made any threatening moves towards the PCs)
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
dymondy2k

Re: Craziest In-game action ever

Post by dymondy2k »

OK here is one.. I'll keep it short. We were playing a PF module and we hit a patch of Shocker Lizards and a party wipe! Luckily the DM said that the NPCs were able revive all but one of the characters (his negative HP went way beyond the savable). So while we continued playing the player rolled up his new character. So the DM tells us we see somebody approach out of the forest. Well my character sees some shady guy walking towards us and does what any young ranger would do, he shoots him with an arrow.. And it not only hits him, it scores a critical and does enough damage to kill him. As you may have figured out, the guy coming out of the forest was the new character, and I dropped him before he could even introduce himself.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

:lol:

Guess the dice really wanted that guy dead.

Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Similar to dymondy, first d&d (basic set) campaign, third or fourth session, Gygar Castle, we (the party) found an iron maiden-like object, we opened and found someone inside, full of tubes with green goo, it was a greenish elf, the fighter (a barbarian type) hit him with his broadsword, it was the pc for the new player.... the GM made a call that the fighter didn't do a precise strike (he didn't roll an attack) and the sword missed him as he fall down, just to have my character (a thief) kneeling over his chest with his dagger on the poor elf's throat...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Never had problems like this myself. When my players get their characters killed, it's usually all together.

Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I had an awesome 1st level Elf fighter/MU with very high scores. I was looking forward to playing this guy for awhile. So the very first night we enter a brigand's hideout cave and see some dudes run into a room. There was a secret passage with an entrance to the same room. So we planned to go in that door and surprise them. MY PC, who had several wicked oil pots hooked on his belt, lights a wicked oil pot and kicks open the door, steps into it and prepares to throw the pot. Only he lost init, badly, and there were 5 bandits behind upended tables waiting for him with crossbows.

They all let loose and hit me as I am standing in the doorway. Four of them rolled critical hits, yes 4 natural 20's at one time, and we were playing double damage. I took something like 50 points of damage. The flaming oil pots drops to the ground at my feet and bursts into flame, which ignites the other 3 pots on my belt. So now the oil does like 35 more hp damage on top of the previous 50. There wasn't anything left of me but ashes and molten metal. :)
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

That sounds like a pretty bad way to die.

Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Another one, playing an horror/modern/supernatural game.
The players where sent to collect data on the disappearance of homeless people on a closed park, they found the leader behind the thing, one player instead of following orders decides to kill the man form a headshot, he aims and waits, then made an aim roll (which can give an aim bonus) and fails, so he must shoot without bonus (the player really made a scene about that rule, but the shot was un-resisted, so he has like 80% chance of hitting, he makes his attack rolls, and fumbles! making that every creature around, plus the bad guy knows their location... they barely made it alive but have to face their superiors with almost no info gathered.

Same game, different player, he wanted a ninja, he got one, the characters ended on a medical clinic filled with bizarre monsters, the ninja did nothing but hide from everyone the entire game (he said he just wanted to follow the pcs for personal reasons) at the endgame, the head doctor was constructing a monster from the willpower of the mentally unstable, the doctor was absorbing the mental energy from an npc with the ability to shape little bits of reality, so he could shape the world into something crazy, two of the players made a cool team up move to save the guy and hit the doctor, at that moment the ninja appears! He throws shurikens to the pc ruining their effort and giving the doctor enough time to complete the transference.... they then woke up surrounded with people on the place the clinic was but with no building... (I had to change the end so they wouldn't die or something really bad happened...)
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Uh, oh. This is starting to sound like things my players have done.

Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Yeah, one of the player was a beat'em up videogame enthusiast, he wanted to play "violence without meaning" (his words)...
He gm'ed me one time an angels vs demons game, my character could move 4m/y per second and do an action, when my angel found the demon the later had lots of babies on animal cages and each time I moved (just move, he didn't let me both move and attack) he grabbed a baby form a cage and killed with a shotgun (all in one second!)