BFRPG SRD

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
asacolips

Re: BFRPG SRD

Post by asacolips »

Dustinian wrote:Many updates complete and available:
  • At the Same URL
  • Attached to this post (raw output with visible PHP and PHP files included).
Completed updates:
  • Div'd out the spells
  • Anchored the spells
  • Div'd out the monsters
  • Got rid of the rogue <em> tag by removing the "readaloud" <p> class. I'd like to bring back the "readaloud" class in a future update. But for now it's something that's too fiddly to automate.
Needed updates:
  • I still haven't broken this out into multiple pages, that's next.
  • Even though I anchored the spells, I haven't taken the time to link the spell lists to the spells. Coming soon.
  • I created a monster TOC (you can look at it in the attached .ZIP file), but i'm not sure where to "include" it. Thoughts?
Another note:
  • I went ahead and included a ZIP file with the scripts as well. I'm using Text Transformation Language (TTL) (that I built some time ago), but I'm not delighted with the scripts. They're quite document-specific. But I'm keeping a list of features I need to add to TTL to support more "generic" commands in the future. We'll see if I have time for that...
It's been 3 days, so I wanted to show progress. But there's more to do!
That all sounds really nice to me. I'll dig into this later today, and work on cleaning up the layout of the spell section's css. For the monsters, my first suggestion is have an alphabetical or HD sorted list at the start of the monster section that's linked up. Depending on how many levels of TOC you have for the monsters, it may make sense to fit some of it under the Monsters section of the main TOC.

Also, I'm very interested in going through your scripts/php as well to see if I've got any suggestions on those. I'm actually trying to do this same thing for a few other of the OGC d20 games (namely Labyrinth Lord and 13th Age, two games I also play fairly actively) and I so I might be able to help generalize it.
Blazeguard wrote:You guys are awesome!!

One thing I noticed. Is there any way to make the menu widths dynamic? I have a big wide-screen monitor but the menus are still narrow and the titles are broken up into several lines.
I can take a screenshot if you're not sure what I mean.
Please do take a screenshot. Right now I've got three menu systems, fixed width of around 300 pixels or so on desktops above 1024 pixels wide, full width as 3 columns on smaller desktops and tablets, and then full width as 1 column once you've gotten all the way down to mobile sizes at 640 pixels or less. With that said, the extra space in the main content area generally does not help, since it just creates really long lines for the paragraphs. I'll take a look at some alternate solutions
Hywaywolf wrote:This is pretty cool. Once its done its location should be posted in the Roll20 forums. I am finding that there are people using BFRPG there who never come to these forums.

Also, I don't want to add to your workload, especially since I can't do this, but Roll20 now has the ability to use character sheet templates. Games like BFRPG probably won't have sheets prepared by the Roll20 team, but user built templates will be available to other player and DMs.
Agreed. Also, that's a good point on the character sheet templates for roll20. I've never done one before, but I'll take a look into how their made.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Here's a link to screenshots of all the menus.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e2lypmod9x1d ... 58s13mFzca

Parts 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8 are the worst for readability. Parts 4 and 6 aren't bad and Part 5 is great.

I'm running a large wide-screen monitor at 1920 x 1200 so I've got lots of reading room. ;)
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
asacolips

Post by asacolips »

That's definitely not normal. What browser and OS are you on?
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

I'm using Firefox (latest version 29.0.1) in Windows 7.

I didn't even think of that until you mentioned so I tried in Chrome and it looks fine there. It appears that Firefox isn't catching the font (Soutane?). Not sure if that's just my computer or something within Firefox.

Just tried it in IE 11 and that doesn't pick up the font either but the menus are displaying normally.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
asacolips

Post by asacolips »

Yep. It's probably because of the method I used to add the font to the css. I'm also not yet positive what's causing the width issue, but I can use the Firebug extension on Firefox to pinpoint that. I haven't done any browser testing until just now, so I'll make getting it working on the major browsers my next task.

[edit]
The font issue is a security feature of Firefox that's preventing the font from loading. It's a part of the weird dynamic where we've got the css and javascript on my server and the actual content and html on Dustinian's. One workaround we could do for now is to try loading the font in the head as a style tag, if you want to give that a shot Dustinian. You would need to add this to the head, before any of the stylesheets are loaded:

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
@font-face{
	font-family: "Soutane";
	src: url(Soutane_Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face{
	font-family: "Soutane Black";
	src: url(SoutaneBlack_Regular.ttf);
}
</style>
Additionally, I've fixed the bug with the menu. It was because Chrome was assuming a working width for the dropdown items automatically, but Firefox and IE wanted a static width for it to work correctly.

Lastly, I've made my first past styling the spells and monsters using the .monster class you created. So far it seems to be working well. The columns are percentage based on tablet (every spell is about 50% wide), while it's a fixed width on desktop, meaning the bigger the monitor you have the more spells you'll see at once.
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

asacolips wrote:One workaround we could do for now is to try loading the font in the head as a style tag, if you want to give that a shot Dustinian. You would need to add this to the head, before any of the stylesheets are loaded:

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
@font-face{
	font-family: "Soutane";
	src: url(Soutane_Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face{
	font-family: "Soutane Black";
	src: url(SoutaneBlack_Regular.ttf);
}
</style>
Sure, I'll do that tonight. I've got to run out tonight and do one very last-minute Mother's Day-related errand for my wife. But I'll make time just before bed.
asacolips wrote:Lastly, I've made my first past styling the spells and monsters using the .monster class you created.
Ugh, I meant to create a .monster and a .spell class, but I got into a hurry and used the same statement for both. I'll fix that tonight as well.
Dustinian
asacolips

Post by asacolips »

No real worries on using the monster class for spells, they've basically got the same layout needs anyways. With that said, it looks like you've got an unclosed div on the Snake, Sea entry. At that point, all of the monsters are inside the div for the Sea Snake, and you can see it visually because it becomes restricted due to a single column because of how I'm laying it out as of now.
Dustinian

Belated Updates

Post by Dustinian »

Output: Updates:
  • Added the font to the document's head. Blazeguard, did that fix your rendering issue?
  • Added both a "by Name" and a "by Hit Die" listing of monsters to the Table of Contents.
  • Wrapped "spells" in their own unique class (I know you don't have a use for this, asacolips, but I have an idea down the road).
  • Fixed the closing </div> on "Snake, Sea."
  • Linked spells in the listing to the spell description.
Known issues:
  • The monster "by Name" and "by Hit Die" listings aren't displaying well at all. asacolips, can you take a look at this when you get a chance? I've played with it, but to no avail.
Next steps:
  • Break the document up into multiple pages (This one has been on the list for weeks. I think I've been putting it off until I get a lot of the content right. THEN I'll break it up. Hope to work on this soon...)
I know it's been a while since I updated. I'm still active and working. But I've recently been promoted at work. I just finished transitioning my old role on Friday, and tomorrow I dive into my new role. Also, last weekend was Mother's Day weekend, and this weekend is our anniversary weekend. Things have been... hectic. And they will continue to be. So while the SRD updates have slowed down after our flurry of activity, they won't stop!

Blazeguard, thanks for your feedback. Hywaywolf, you as well. asacolips, thanks as always for your work on this.

Any other feedback out there? Has anyone else used this in a game yet?
Last edited by Dustinian on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustinian
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

This is good stuff. Nice job.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
asacolips

Re: Belated Updates

Post by asacolips »

Dustinian wrote:Added the font to the document's head. Blazeguard, did that fix your rendering issue?
I just checked in Firefox, and it's working. I had to remove the font rule I had created in the css file as well, but everything's good now.
Dustinian wrote:Known issues:
[*]The monster "by Name" and "by Hit Die" listings aren't displaying well at all. asacolips, can you take a look at this when you get a chance? I've played with it, but to no avail.[/*]
Will do. I'm fairly busy today, but I should be able to get to it tomorrow night.

Everything else you commented on for updates and future goals looks good. I'll put some more work in on the stylesheet as soon as I've got a chance.