Season 1 - Episode 2: Northridge Farm

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

actingkeith

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by actingkeith »

"This is good, I'll march at the rear. This is something I can do," Karl says as he takes out 2 gold coins and hands it to Tannen. "For my share of the beast... only fair seeing as when it dies, I'll eat my fair share of it."

"May the Fates be kind to us and to the missing girl," Karl adds as he hits the road and takes up his place at the rear of the group.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
swirler

Post by swirler »

Doughbert slips 3gp to Tannen.

"He looks like a 'Jumbles' to me."
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
JoeCarr28

Jumbles the Pony

Post by JoeCarr28 »

[Jumbles has certainly seen better days. Consequently, his load-carrying ability is reduced to 100 pounds (lightly loaded) and 200 pounds (heavily loaded).]
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

actingkeith wrote:"This is good, I'll march at the rear. This is something I can do," Karl says as he takes out 2 gold coins and hands it to Tannen. "For my share of the beast... only fair seeing as when it dies, I'll eat my fair share of it."

"May the Fates be kind to us and to the missing girl," Karl adds as he hits the road and takes up his place at the rear of the group.
"Such an old animal makes for a tough meal, but it can be better than starving." Nivek continues, "It will do its job of lightening your burdens. Anyhows, assuming we get to the bottom of this dilemma we shall be able to fund a herd of such beasts, though I prefer rothe or ox"

Nivek shakes his head affirmatively, "now can we be off to find this farm-wife? Though I prefer the dark of the insides, we should not waste the day idly. We must strike metal while it is hot!"
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

"Uhm... I hate idle," Karl says as he puts his thumbs into the straps of his pack, resting his hands and arms as he walks with his heavy pack. "We march a long day today, then arrive early on the 'morrow... barring trouble along the way."

Karl moves out with the rest of his new companions, his head filled with half-memories of his past that have been dislodged by his martial equipment and activity. His legs and heart begin to sing a marching song that eventually makes its way to his lungs, throat, and lips.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin whistles as he hikes, having convinced Will that Bertie really wanted him to have a jug on the house. He frowns at misjudging when he discovers it is full of water. Paladin mutters imprecations for the rest of the day, growing increasingly foul-mooded.
JoeCarr28

To Northridge Farm

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Following Kitchener’s directions, you take the Old Trail out of Marketsone. Compared to the main Westport Road running south, which is wide and well maintained, the northerly Old Trail is little more than a farm track. However, at this time of year it is firm underfoot, though dusty, and you’re able to maintain a good pace (with the help of Jumbles).

Your route takes you through the farming heartland north of Marketstone. It’s a fine day - bright sunshine, a scattering of clouds and a pleasant breeze - ideal conditions for a stroll in the country. With the harvest in full swing, the fields are busy with activity. Farmers and labourers are hard at work cutting the wheat, pulling the vegetables and picking the fruit. Every so often you stand aside to make way for a laden cart travelling towards Marketstone, or an empty one returning north, but the road is generally quiet.

It turns out to be somewhat less than 20 miles to Northridge Farm, the northernmost point of the Old Trail. It’s around 9 pm when you finally reach your destination and dusk is setting in.

As you stand outside Northridge Farm what strikes you as odd is that the place appears deserted. The gate to the farmyard is closed. Curtains are drawn across the windows. No smoke can be seen coming out of the chimney. There are no lamps lit. And you can see no farmhands out in the fields. The only signs of life are a few chickens pecking round the farmyard, and some cattle and sheep in the surrounding fields. It seems too early for everyone to be in bed.

[A campaign map showing the route between Marketstone and Northridge Farm can be found in the ‘Marketstone Lorebook’ topic].

9 pm, 25th day of Harvestide
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Tannen pauses and stops the rest of the group as they approach the farmhouse. "Looks like there's no one home. I suggest we approach as cautiously as we can without looking like a band of brigands. Casting a glance at Paladin he adds: "and roast chicken is NOT on the menu."

[To GM: Were there any neighboring farms within the last mile or so that we could potentially ask after Alan Grenewell? Also are there any visible signs of harvesting activities having been undertaken today? - wagons in the fields, downed tools, cut crops or the like. What kind of produce/livestock does it look like the Grenewell's farm here?]
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Birthright wrote:"I suggest we approach as cautiously as we can without looking like a band of brigands."
At the sergeant's order, Karl removes his backpack with care, sets his shield for trouble, and draws his sword to the ready. "Ready sir!" Karl whispers as he takes a knee.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin looks over at Nivek in a bleary daze, his head still awash on dark thoughts and pounding pulse. It seems like a long minute before Nivek's words penetrate the halfling's head. Then, like the lighting of a small candle, the light turns on in Paladin's mind. A large happy look crosses his face. We're killing a sheep? Paladin squeals in delight, clapping his hands and doing a Halfling jig. I didn't think you had it in you! And here Bertie told me you were a big old stick in the mud I haven't had spitted mutton on months. I wonder if there is mint jelly in the house.

Paladin unlimbers his bow and starts heading over towards the sheep Nivek has designated as dinner.