Season 1 - Episode 1: Welcome to the Wheatsheaf

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

User avatar
JoeCarr28
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 am

The Grenewells

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:27 am

Birthright wrote:{Tannen will attempt to asks the following questions as appropriate}
"Can you tell us about Alan Grenewell and his wife? Are there any rumours about them? What are the finances like? Is there any chance that Alma has simply run away? What is their family's reputation like? Has there been any word or sightings of Alma since the disappearance? Has there been a demand for ransom?"
Kitchener focuses his attention on Tannen. “Well master Tannen, you’ve got a lot of questions. Clearly, yer the brains behind this outfit and not just a pretty sword” (he delivers this in such a way that it is very difficult to tell whether he is complimenting Tannen, or gently mocking him).

“Now, I’m a man who likes to deal in facts. In my experience, puttin’ too much store in gossip and hearsay only leads to trouble. So I’ll tell yer what I know about the Grenewells, but I ain’t gonna speculate about what I don’t know.”

“Northridge Farm has been in the Grenewell family for generations. It was run by Alan’s father before him, and his grandfather before that. Grenewell himself is gettin’ on a bit now - mid-fifties I would say. He’s known within the village, but not well known if yer know what I mean. Northridge is fairly remote - pretty much on the district boundaries. He only comes into Marketstone once a month or so to sell his goods at the market and stock up on supplies. Generally keeps himself to himself.”

“Alma’s a good deal younger than Alan - twenty years or more at a guess. She grew up in the village and there was a more than few eyebrows raised when her and Alan were wed. The age difference of course, but also that she would want to leave the village and go and live somewhere as remote as Northridge. She wasn’t the prettiest girl in the Marketstone. Rather plain if truth be told. But pleasant enough, and she certainly hasn’t, in the words of my furrry-footed friend here, been anywhere near the ugly stick.”

“There ain’t been any children so far. It’s just Alan and Alma, although they do have half a dozen farm hands that help ‘em out with the day-to-day running of Northridge. It was one of the farmhands that brought news of Alma’s disappearance.”

He now turns to Paladin. “It’s a fair point you make through the bottom of that glass. If she’s run off of her own accord, gettin’ her back may not be the sensible option. In that case, what we’re gonna need is some sort of evidence that she’s safe and well. A letter oughta suffice. Alan Grenewell will know her hand and be able to tell whether it’s genuine. But then, I’m quite sure that you’re all smart enough not to try any funny business. I’ve got an uncanny knack of tellin’ when people aren’t bein’ entirely straight with me.”


8 pm, 24th day of Harvestide
Birthright
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:48 am

"Thank you for the information, sir." Tannen nods in the Kitchener's direction.

"I assume the Grenewell farm is not difficult to find?"

{I Kitchener doesn't offer them, Tannen will ask for directions so that the group will know how to find the Grenewell farm - "one day's ride north of town" could still get us lost if there are multiple trails, etc.!}

Once the others have finished talking with Kitchener, Tannen heads for the door, but pauses and strides back to Kitchener's desk. Without pause, he picks up the nearest untouched glass and downs the contents in one gulp before raising the empty glass in Paladin's direction, trying his best not to wince as the alcohol burns its way into his stomach.

"Thank you again, sir." Tannen says to Kitchener before exiting the room.

{Tannen will recover his pack and shield from the pot-boy and after checking that nothing is missing he will tip the boy 2 coppers and wait for the others to assemble downstairs.}
Last edited by Birthright on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain_IF
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: The Grenewells

Post Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:52 am

JoeCarr28 wrote:He now turns to Paladin. “It’s a fair point you make through the bottom of that glass. If she’s run off of her own accord, gettin’ her back may not be the sensible option. In that case, what we’re gonna need is some sort of evidence that she’s safe and well. A letter oughta suffice. Alan Grenewell will know her hand and be able to tell whether it’s genuine. But then, I’m quite sure that you’re all smart enough not to try any funny business. I’ve got an uncanny knack of tellin’ when people aren’t bein’ entirely straight with me.”
"Right!" says Paladin, "that clears it all up. Bring a letter and her hand back to Alan if she's run off with some other male. You humans are a bloodthirsty lot. Is tattooing a marriage ritual or do you bigguns have some sort of hand fetish that causes you to memorize the fingers of your mate? I'm fairly confident I couldn't remember the details of the Chubb sisters' hands and, well..." Paladin sort of loses steam and trails off into memory. After a moment he shakes his head a bit, places his empty glass on the table, and helps himself to another of the unused drinks. He settles himself more comfortably and waits to see if others have any questions to ask while he ponders how to chop off a hand neatly.
User avatar
JoeCarr28
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 am

"WOLF-RIDERS!!!"

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 am

Kitchener stares straight-faced at Paladin for several seconds before turning to the others. “Well, if that’s all, yer’d best be on yer way. Yer can’t miss Northridge - it’s at the end of the Old Trail, the road runnin’ north from Marketstone. If yer hit the Coastwood, yer’ve gone too far. I’ll put yer up in dormitory sleepin’ room for tonight. Have a word with Will downstairs and he’ll fix yer something to eat.”

You file out of Kitchener’s office and make your way downstairs. As Tannen stoops to gather his belongings, Will bursts in through the back door of the Wheatsheaf, a look of terror on his face. “WOLF-RIDERS!!!” he screams. “Out the back, in the field behind the stables!”


8 pm, 24th day of Harvestide
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: "WOLF-RIDERS!!!"

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 am

JoeCarr28 wrote:Kitchener stares straight-faced at Paladin for several seconds before turning to the others. “Well, if that’s all, yer’d best be on yer way. Yer can’t miss Northridge - it’s at the end of the Old Trail, the road runnin’ north from Marketstone. If yer hit the Coastwood, yer’ve gone too far. I’ll put yer up in dormitory sleepin’ room for tonight. Have a word with Will downstairs and he’ll fix yer something to eat.”

You file out of Kitchener’s office and make your way downstairs. As Tannen stoops to gather his belongings, Will bursts in through the back door of the Wheatsheaf, a look of terror on his face. “WOLF-RIDERS!!!” he screams. “Out the back, in the field behind the stables!”
Nivek grabs two sets of arms of quieter party members and leads them out towards the commotion, saying "This we must see. as I too understand that goblins are nigh non-existent in these parts. If it is true, then they might indicate a new menace to this region... something not seen since even before my time as a lad."

[Assumes the rest of party wishes to see/investigate as well] Heads out towards the commotion, mace in hand.
Birthright
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:46 am

"How many?" Tannen demands of Will as he snatches up his hand axe, tucking it into his belt before slinging his shield over one shoulder. " Go and get Kitchener then make sure you stay out of sight if things get out of hand."

"Who's with us?" Tannen steps forward with Nivak, hoping that he doesn't have to go into this battle with only a single ally.

{Tannen will wait a few moments to see who will follow him, then heads CAUTIOUSLY out towards the stable, trying to remain close to any walls so as to remain out of sight of any wolfriders}
Iain_IF
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:13 am

"Easy friend, don't jostle the beety beery beverage!" warns Paladin. He trails along behind the others, beer in hand. "Maybe they have a spare hand out there!"

Paladin takes munchies off of any unattended plate in the common room as he passes by.
User avatar
swirler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:59 pm
Location: Kahoka, MISSOURI
Contact:

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:38 pm

ooc: sorry for the delay. Doughbert is somewhat quiet anyway, so he would have just followed and listened since all of his questions had been asked anyway. He follows Nivek out ready to find out what this new threat may be.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
Mhogrymm
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:08 am

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:13 am

Scathias pulls his short bow and an arrow, then heads out the door to see the wolf riders. He holds the arrow nocked in the string but pointed down with no tension as he walks.
User avatar
JoeCarr28
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 am

Wolves at the Wheatsheaf

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 am

Birthright wrote:"How many?" Tannen demands of Will as he snatches up his hand axe, tucking it into his belt before slinging his shield over one shoulder. " Go and get Kitchener then make sure you stay out of sight if things get out of hand."
“A-a-a-at least t-t-two ...” stammers Will, clearly shaken, “... amongst the t-t-trees, down the far end of the p-paddock”. Without looking back, he scurries upstairs in the direction of Kitchener’s office.

Leading Kemble and Doughbert by the arm, Nivek exits by the back door of the Wheatsheaf and strides around the end of the stables towards the paddock. Scathias nocks an arrow in his bow and follows, as does Tannen cautiously. Paladin trails in their wake.

It’s not yet dark, and once you round the the stable building you can clearly see three wolves amongst the trees about thirty yards to the south. However, there are no goblins riding them. [GM rolls]. Indeed, at the moment you can’t see any goblins at all.

The wolves look agitated and menacing. Upon seeing you they ready themselves for an attack …


OK - as combat is a possibility, we’ll switch to rounds.

As both sides are anticipating conflict and are a considerable distance apart, there is no significant likeihood of surprise.

If you wish to make your own rolls, please roll for initiative using EvilDM (http://dice.evildm.net/index.php) . Remember to e.mail your rolls to joecarr28@ymail.com.

Please also declare your actions, again performing any associated rolls, e.g. to hit and for damage.

You can view a tactical map of the encounter at https://sites.google.com/site/marketstonecampaign/.



8 pm, 24th day of Harvestide
Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests