Virutal TableTops

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Fnordic

Virutal TableTops

Post by Fnordic »

I'm using Maptools to start an online BFRPG game. I'm also using Mumble as a chat server so that the players and the DM (me) can hear each other.

Anyone had any experience with either of those tools they can share?
billiambabble

Re: Virutal TableTops

Post by billiambabble »

(Greetings Fnordic! Thanks for posting and I'm sure Solo and his minions won't mind me welcoming you to the forum!)

Sorry, I'm guessing that the silence in response to your post (although it is a slow forum at times) means that very few folk here use Virtual table Top software. I'm guessing they're mainly pen and paper players. :) One day we'll all go so retro - we'll only use clay tablets in games. ;)

I design dungeon floor plans and at some point I was going to try and break into the Virtual Table top scene. Is it easy to import graphics into Map Tools?

What's the experience like chatting over a server? How long do you play at a time?
swirler

Post by swirler »

I've been wanting to learn maptools and uuse it. Just haven't focused in on it enough to really get it yet. I was out of pocket the last fwq days. Went to see my folks and they don't ha e a pc, let alone net acess. They gwt horrible cel signal there also so I couldn't even hit the forums on my phone. Lol and no my family is not Amish. Rofl
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
LordPasty

Post by LordPasty »

billiambabble wrote:(
Sorry, I'm guessing that the silence in response to your post (although it is a slow forum at times) means that very few folk here use Virtual table Top software. I'm guessing they're mainly pen and paper players. :) One day we'll all go so retro - we'll only use clay tablets in games. ;)

One of these days, when I'm rich, I'm going to build a stone table in the backyard - to game on in the summer. That way, when we're done, I can just hose all the chips, dips, and soda off to the grass...

Clay tablets would go well with that (at least better than my wife's pricey and neat-o MacBook Pro)! lol
:D
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

I'm going to experiment with MapTool as a visual aid for my play-by-post game. I won't be using it as a real-time game aid, but I'm going to try using MapTool screenshots for keeping track of combat and dungeon exploration. There are some really excellent video tutorials on the MapTool web site, so learning to use it is very straightforward. I'm particularly impressed by the lighting and line-of-site capabilities. There are also plenty of image files you can download to use with it.

The only slightly problematic area I've found is running it in server mode (which I don't plan to do in any case). But this is probably more due to the general issues associated with running servers (firewalls, port-forwarding, etc.) than any specific problems associated with MapTool.