Game Culture

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
DiceClown

Game Culture

Post by DiceClown »

Bobtheoldcrank has eluded to it and I have often thought about it as well. Many of us on BFRPG forums are what you might say "older gamers". I do appreciate the original D&D game which for me was the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons version. I have noticed many transitions in roleplaying games that are very insightful in regard to youth culture. In my earlier gaming days it was more team focused as the original game was designed as a game of individual contribution. In short - the game was about team work. Today's versions seem to be about personal gain and "individualism". Let me say, I am not raising a "versions war", but simply making an observation as to the roleplaying culture. Bob said something that made me think and I have to agree which was basically, "if you feel like you need to change the rules you may need to change your game". He is right! I think I have restarted my RPG career with the perception of "equal footing" rather than equal opportunity for roleplaying. Something I think BFRPG has worked hard in preserving.
Hywaywolf

Re: Game Culture

Post by Hywaywolf »

I know I am not the only person here who thinks people coming to BFRPG from modern gaming should try it first as is without the add-ons. Get a feel for how the game can be played without the bells and whistles. Then add back in the bells and whistles that you feel you must have to meet what you want in a game.

I also recommend that people read Quick Primer for Old School Gaming. Its a free download. http://www.lulu.com/shop/matthew-finch/ ... 59558.html
teluria

Post by teluria »

Hywaywolf wrote:I know I am not the only person here who thinks people coming to BFRPG from modern gaming should try it first as is without the add-ons. Get a feel for how the game can be played without the bells and whistles. Then add back in the bells and whistles that you feel you must have to meet what you want in a game.

I also recommend that people read Quick Primer for Old School Gaming. Its a free download. http://www.lulu.com/shop/matthew-finch/ ... 59558.html
I will second this suggestion. I thought it was a very good primer.

I would say one other thing. I think the difference between the new and the old school is also about the difference between video gaming and table gaming. In table gaming you have to wait your turn and actually pay attention to what's going on to get ahead. In video gaming it's all about you. You never have to think about other people because you are always doing something.
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of Appreciation
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I forgot something else I think is important, and I am not sure if its an old school/new school thing or what, but I find that people often play the game to win rather than to play a role. What I mean by that is they will often take actions that only a true psychopath would take in real life.

ie. See somebody, kill somebody, who knows they might have something I need.

I am not going to claim that I don't try to game the game, but I try to keep it to a minimum. :) And I don't mean that we should shoot for exacting realism. Just some semblance of it. I try to ask myself - Is it really in character to ambush and shoot those guys down in cold blood on the 50/50 chance that they are bandits and not just a band of tinkers travelling together.
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

Hywaywolf wrote:I forgot something else I think is important, and I am not sure if its an old school/new school thing or what, but I find that people often play the game to win rather than to play a role.
Nope, I would say this is an old school/new school thing. However, of course we play to win, we just know that we must first and foremost play a role in order to win. In my opinion, this conversation is the topic of why BSFRPG exists. Why do we and others care about "old school roleplaying"? It is because this concept of ROLE -playing matters. because without it we are just regurgitating a video game on paper.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I really don't like drawing a line in the sand and saying this is right and that is wrong. I am just saying what is right FOR ME. And I like that BFRPG keeps it rules light because I honestly believe that the more crunch you add the more your PC looks like a sword wielding stat sheet and less like a hard as nails adventurer with well worn armor and an eye for adventure.
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

Hywaywolf wrote:I really don't like drawing a line in the sand and saying this is right and that is wrong. I am just saying what is right FOR ME. And I like that BFRPG keeps it rules light because I honestly believe that the more crunch you add the more your PC looks like a sword wielding stat sheet and less like a hard as nails adventurer with well worn armor and an eye for adventure.
Nope, I am not drawing lines of what is right or wrong either. In fact, I like both old and new school for different reasons. It is okay to make clear cut observations about what makes them different. You nailed it! ...

"And I like that BFRPG keeps it rules light because I honestly believe that the more crunch you add the more your PC looks like a sword wielding stat sheet and less like a hard as nails adventurer with well worn armor and an eye for adventure"

I agree wholeheartedly. I do believe this is what new school is moving away from and at the same time what old school is all about. The core of old school gaming is roleplaying. I see the game culture moving away from what makes roleplaying a central part of the game.
bobtheoldcrank

Post by bobtheoldcrank »

I agree neither New School nor Olde Schole is "better" than the other. They're ... different. I find I prefer the Olde Schole, purely because too much "crunch" has an annoying tendency to confuse my addled brain (character generation is a BITCH). I also find that crunch tends to get in the way of role-playing.

My current table has some Olde Schole converts now. They were used to Pathfinder and the like. When we were talking about characters and concepts, they found it difficult to grok that BFRPG doesn't have skills and feats and all that jazz. But now there's been a few sessions, and they're starting to swing from chandeliers and stuff. That moment when they realized all that crunch isn't strictly necessary? Priceless. ;)

Bob
teluria

Post by teluria »

What I strive for is for my game to be "crispy", with just enough rules to resolve disputes without causing any.
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of Appreciation