Dungeon Creation/Generation

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
chiisu81

Re: Dungeon Creation/Generation

Post by chiisu81 »

I don't think he is asking for additional tables for generating a dungeon nor the contents of each room; he's asking about additional tables to CREATE those items.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I think he also wants a guide on how to do, step by step, the creation, from scratch of a dungeon, I suppose this includes the creation of rooms and the entire floor map.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
wynteriii

Post by wynteriii »

Let me give you an two scenario's,

Example 1: Pre-Generated Dungeon

The GM spent a good hour or so rolling up and creating a dungeon for his players to adventure in for each room (on a map he created) he has rolled dice, check generation tables, and filled the dungeon with "random" things that were decided by the tables.

Example 2:

The game group is together and they decide to enter a dungeon. Upon entering room after the entrance, the GM rolls to see what kind a room is it, whether it has any monster, whether it has any treasure, or whether it will be a special room with something that is important to the adventure. He does all this while behind a GM screen.

Hopefully this helps....
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Dimirag wrote:I think he also wants a guide on how to do, step by step, the creation, from scratch of a dungeon, I suppose this includes the creation of rooms and the entire floor map.
Yes, and I understand now what he wants. earlier I was morphing my moldvay basic manual with the BFRPG directions for stocking a dungeon. I forgot that BFRPG doesn't actually stock the dungeon, it just tells you how to do it. Moldvay basic pages b55-b58 are excellent.

Also, if this were more of a GMs guide, I would like to see something like Example of Combat (B28) and dungeon exploring (b59-b60). These were awesome examples of how to actually play the game, and not just the rules.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

wynteriii wrote:Let me give you an two scenario's,

Example 1: Pre-Generated Dungeon

The GM spent a good hour or so rolling up and creating a dungeon for his players to adventure in for each room (on a map he created) he has rolled dice, check generation tables, and filled the dungeon with "random" things that were decided by the tables.

Example 2:

The game group is together and they decide to enter a dungeon. Upon entering room after the entrance, the GM rolls to see what kind a room is it, whether it has any monster, whether it has any treasure, or whether it will be a special room with something that is important to the adventure. He does all this while behind a GM screen.

Hopefully this helps....

Yeah, the first scenario is pretty standard and I agree that the BFRPG directions could be beefed up.

The second scenario is not a game I want to play in if it is a standard method for finding what is in rooms. Hopefully it wouldn't happen more than once or twice every couple game nights. As a GM, I would rather have a few random rooms/areas/small adventures ready to play if the players threw me a curve ball and went somewhere that I didn't have prepared.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I wanted to add that Wizarddawn has great generators that use BFRPG monsters and such..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

also, there is this here on bfrpg http://www.basicfantasy.org/dungeoneer.html

found on this page http://www.basicfantasy.org/tools.html
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not sure what the qualitative difference between the Moldvay method of dungeon generation and mine. Certainly Moldvay's method is good... I intentionally mimicked his approach with my own. So what am I missing?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Chris, Your rules are the same as Moldvay's. What I was saying is that the Basic rule set actually spends more then 2 more pages actually building and stocking a dungeon setting that you can play right from the book. The first couple of rooms use the table to show an example of how the table is used.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah.

I left that out of the game deliberately, as I saw no point in including an adventure when we give them away for free separately.

Perhaps I should rethink that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org