New Class - Bandit

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
DiceClown

New Class - Bandit

Post by DiceClown »

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I was unaware of the Assassin's Waylay. So I decided to keep the Waylay skill as is with the assassin class. I focused on the unarmed combat skill as the defining skill for the Bandit and hopefully simplified it to be more balanced. I reworked the races available and the ability stat requirements. Next I added the Evade skill which I forgot to add on the 1st draft.

I am still working on the XP progression table and the customized Thief skills.

Question: for the Bandit to be a Thief sub-class does it have to fight/save/progress as the Thief class?
Attachments
Bandit.odt
2nd draft
(61.12 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Last edited by DiceClown on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DiceClown

Re: New Class - Bandit

Post by DiceClown »

As suggested, I am reworking the:
1. Waylay skill - (Conflicts with subduing damage)
2. Re-wording the introduction to more concise (My writing ability stinks-but I will get it)
3. Including the "optional rule" in the Plight of The Bandit as a notoriety system (Notoriety is a great idea that needs to be more of a character definer)

Cool. Let me work these out! :?: :idea: :ugeek:
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I would make the bandit a sub-thief class.
Req: DEX 9 (core thief class), STR 9 (fighting life), CON 9 (hardship environment) I don't go with more than a 9 on ability requirement but you can go as high as you like.
Attack Bonus and Saving Throws: As Thieves (no change).
HD: d6 sound ok.

Special abilities:
Hand to hand: I personally dislike this one, it gives extra attacks while non of the core classes has them, not even the fighter who is the one supposed to fight better. You can give them unarmed specialty as an optional rule as per the Combat Options Supplement.
I also dislike the increase damage (something I don't like even on monks). Maybe you can try to give them the same benefit as the backstab, if the character attacks unarmed he does double damage (some gm's increase the bs damage with level so this would be affected in the same manner)
Waylay: I use st vs paralysis against dizziness or being stunned, for KO I used a death st. The assassin sub-class has waylay which is a subdual backstab and an assassination ability which works like your waylay, so no problem on your mechanic.
Thief Skills: It would be nice if they have their own percentage as to show their own thieving style. But otherwise o big change here.

As for the formatting: Grab any other sub-class file and write over it as to keep a better format.

I apologize if I came to harsh on you, these are just some of my suggestions.
Last edited by Dimirag on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

I also noticed the hand-to-hand combat is the same as the Great Way Adept (Monk). My first impression is "like a thief, levels like a thief, but better hp and better fighting". If you keep the monk style hand-to-hand and the d6 HD instead of d4, then maybe increase the XP requirements (EDIT: I'm thinking closer to monk XP progression than thief.) Then the class has certain additional penalties to adjust XP requirements by; I see the 80% chance of being caught in civilization (plight) and doesn't get every thief ability. I'll confess, I don't have much experience with balancing classes; it seems a difficult thing. Just my initial thoughts.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I didn't comment on xp because of that, once the class is "finished" then the xp value sould be determined.
But for themoment, yah, I think it should probably have a higher xp cost.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Instead of quote everyone let me just dump post...

Dimirage - I like the stat requirements - agreed! I will look into the unarmed specialty in the Combat Options. Sounds like it would be more balanced. Let me think on the save vs. Death over Paralysis for Waylay. - Looks like I need to take a look at the Assassin class.

seandon4 - Yes, I did use the Great Way Adept unarmed table. Yes, maybe the XP could be more difficult than the thief's.

Hey, thanks !
Attachments
Bandit.odt
2nd Draft
(61.12 KiB) Downloaded 437 times