Time tracking

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
crabus

Re: Time tracking

Post by crabus »

Solomoriah wrote: My suggestion is "by the book," since the books says the GM is in charge.

If you are concerned that your game is not up to snuff because you aren't tracking time closely enough... well, is it? If everyone is having a good time, don't worry about it.
You right !
It is because I read somewhere (in Tome of Adventure Design) that resources management is an essential part of the adventure. Basically HP management, light management etc...
Since I play D&D, resources was never an issue because I am so poor for book keeping.

In fact my question is more linked with wandering monsters, because if players take many time to check painstakingly every corridors the result is more random encounters. In other hand if characters walk more speedily, traps can not be detected. I thought it was the way that the game was intended to be played and why this rules exist.

I never play like that, maybe time keeping is a pain in the ass, dull, that kill the fun.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

While you can certainly log every second of the adventure and still have a fun game, you are correct that making me punch a clock like I am work can drag it down. I think what the others are saying is that you should play it by ear. If the players are rushing through an area and they encounter a trap then they most likely will trigger it. If like you say they are moving slow and checking every scrap of wall, then roll random encounters whenever you feel like its right, as well as when they are talking loudly .
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It can be easier than that.

If it seems like it's been a while since you made an encounter roll, it's probably time.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Solomoriah wrote:It can be easier than that.

If it seems like it's been a while since you made an encounter roll, it's probably time.
This is a good rule.. normally with me I usually roll around every 60' of dungeon travelled, but I don't pay attention to it that much, just like Solo said sometimes your like 'Hey when was the last time I did a Random Encounter check? Definitely been more than 60'? Where is my dice?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony