Time tracking

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
crabus

Time tracking

Post by crabus »

Hello,

I try to figure out how to play Basic Fantasy "correctly".
My main problem is about time tracking for dungeon exploration.

For exemple in the "Old Island Fortress" (in BF1) if my player after the first room go to the west and say
"we check for trap", should I count 1 turn by square ? if they say "we check for trap and secret door" 3 turns by square
(for 3 characters that search it will be 1 turn ?). If they say nothing, "we advance careless" they can advance up to 3 squares Lightly loaded in leather armor ?

Any other advice about time tracking is welcome.

Thank you
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Time tracking

Post by Solomoriah »

Any search takes about a turn per 10' area, whether square or cube, depending on the type of search. Generally, players will perform searches in parallel, so for instance three characters might search three adjacent areas and take a turn doing it.

The time is just an estimate. Do whatever feels right to you, and you'll be playing the game right.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crabus

Post by crabus »

I understand that I can do what I want, but I always omitted this kind of rules and now I want try to play by the book.
Sorin_777

Post by Sorin_777 »

I feel you, as I am running my PC's through the "Infinite Tower", which is a quite long adventure, essentially endless if you want it to be. I've decided to put something cool on Level 10, and we've taken at least three sessions of game time to get to level 6... I realized I wasn't keeping time! So now, like you, I want to try and track time better in the future.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

perhaps you could keep a clock like this and just add time to it as you do things. http://www.mrmyers.org/Math_Mania/Math_ ... /clock.htm

I have been trying to find one that tracks the date or number of days as well but no luck yet. I guess you'll just have to keep up with that part yourself :)
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Someone posted this cool turn tracker over on Google+ that you might find handy.
https://plus.google.com/108436635384858 ... nNsaggzt5e
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

There's a decent one on the LL page.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Man this is alot of work.. I know that rounds are important for combat but for anything else.. the day is done when the players are tired of playing.. Or they are so beat up they need to rest..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

crabus wrote:I understand that I can do what I want, but I always omitted this kind of rules and now I want try to play by the book.
My suggestion is "by the book," since the books says the GM is in charge.

If you are concerned that your game is not up to snuff because you aren't tracking time closely enough... well, is it? If everyone is having a good time, don't worry about it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Maybe its me, but I think crabus is saying he wants to try something new rather than try to fix something he thinks he is doing wrong.