Basic Fighting Animals! (Test)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
LibraryLass

Re: Basic Fighting Animals! (Test)

Post by LibraryLass »

Sorry for the double post, but out of curiosity, JV, have you got the rest of your species beyond Dog written out, even in draft form? Even if this doesn't go anywhere I'd be glad to tweak it a bit and use it in my own campaign, or help make the supplement, or whatever.
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

Couldn't the problem with disparate sizes be handled with setting changes? Want all small woodland creatures? Write up a Greencliff setting document with mice and rats and rabbits and badgers and such. Want everything in the pot? Use the default setting. Cave bears vs. cavemen from the bears POV, just another setting. No need to change the mechanics, just allowed PC 'classes'.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Er, James?
JVWest

Post by JVWest »

hjmartin70 wrote:Couldn't the problem with disparate sizes be handled with setting changes? Want all small woodland creatures? Write up a Greencliff setting document with mice and rats and rabbits and badgers and such. Want everything in the pot? Use the default setting. Cave bears vs. cavemen from the bears POV, just another setting. No need to change the mechanics, just allowed PC 'classes'.
Sure, you could limit the races allowed in any campaign. And you could ignore the size rules altogether. But part of the appeal of this project for me has always been to embrace the size problem fully. I guess you could simply ignore it though. Just go with generic S, M, L, and Giant or something. Give bonuses or penalties within the description of each race. Elephant and Rhino get +X to damage in melee strikes, Elephant can only be moved or knocked prone under X circumstances or always gets a +5 saving throw against being knocked down, etc.
JVWest

Post by JVWest »

LibraryLass wrote:Er, James?
Yep. Hi. Got busy with other stuff and haven't checked back in a bit.
JVWest

Post by JVWest »

LibraryLass wrote:Sorry for the double post, but out of curiosity, JV, have you got the rest of your species beyond Dog written out, even in draft form? Even if this doesn't go anywhere I'd be glad to tweak it a bit and use it in my own campaign, or help make the supplement, or whatever.
I have written a ton of animals for my own system. The BFRPG version was an adaptation from my system, which is totally different. I can send you a text file and if you want to mess around with writing up a couple of them that'd be super. The project is currently on the back burner while I work on some other stuff. But trust me, this idea hasn't went out of my head in years so I pretty much have to finish it in some form.

I'm not 100% committed to doing the BFRPG version at this point. I also have my own game design, an idea about doing my own B/X style game with funny animals, and even using OSRIC. So who knows. But there's no reason this idea shouldn't be worked up for all versions of the game that people want to play.
shawnhcorey

Post by shawnhcorey »

OK, I'm confused. Is this thread about furries or toons (or both)?
Don't stop where the ink does.
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

JVWest wrote:
hjmartin70 wrote:Couldn't the problem with disparate sizes be handled with setting changes? Want all small woodland creatures? Write up a Greencliff setting document with mice and rats and rabbits and badgers and such. Want everything in the pot? Use the default setting. Cave bears vs. cavemen from the bears POV, just another setting. No need to change the mechanics, just allowed PC 'classes'.
Sure, you could limit the races allowed in any campaign. And you could ignore the size rules altogether. But part of the appeal of this project for me has always been to embrace the size problem fully. I guess you could simply ignore it though. Just go with generic S, M, L, and Giant or something. Give bonuses or penalties within the description of each race. Elephant and Rhino get +X to damage in melee strikes, Elephant can only be moved or knocked prone under X circumstances or always gets a +5 saving throw against being knocked down, etc.
Exactly my point, you are writing the base system including the default setting. Anyone who does not like the default setting can write their own, tweaking the base system in whatever direction suits their fancy. If the license of the base system allows it, they can even share it with us!
If you are doing the work to create the system, and kindly sharing it with us, you get to create what pleases you. Feedback from us in the peanut gallery is only for your amusement and/or ignoring.
BTW, thank you for your effort and sharing.
Sorin_777

Post by Sorin_777 »

For the record, I think doing a campaign setting with a few rules additions, races, and monsters is a smarter move than doing a whole system. Not saying you need to abandon what you've been working on, but if you can flesh this out, even with assistance from another writer, you could get your characters into playtesting much sooner than if you tried to slide a wholly different system in front of a gamer.

Can we do this? Can you give us a reason for your character races to exist, a basic backstory, and let people playtest your character races alongside with a typical BFRPG campaign? I for one think it would hilarious to roll up an NPC party of your funny animals for my guys to encounter.
Sorin_777

Post by Sorin_777 »

Also, I'll just leave this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_Pirates