Playtest 2 - The Hunt

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Playtest 2 - The Hunt

Post by JoeCarr28 »

For the second playtest we are going to use a simple scenario hook from the classic Runequest sandbox campaign, "Griffin Mountain". Griffin Mountain, which was released in 1981, describes two regions, Balazar and the Elder Wilds, that are both a long way to the north-east of Sartar and Apple Lane. However, the adventure that we are going to play easily translates. As you will see, the objectives are fairly straightforward - the challenge is in the planning and the execution.
JoeCarr28

A Little Job

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Almost half a year has passed since you faced-off against each other in the circle on the public grazing ground and, if truth be told, adulthood has turned out to be something of a disappointment. So far it has been light on excitement and adventure, and high on sheer hard work. Never more so than during the current harvest which has seen you spending long days picking, gathering and packing apples from the acres of orchards around the village. It was all too much Targus, who never was very good with the fruit picking ladders. He left Apple Lane ten days ago for Boldholm, the capital city of Sartar, in search of alternative employment.

As you sit together in the Tin Inn one evening, resting your aching limbs and enjoying a well deserved ale or two, you are approached by Apple Lane’s sheriff, Dronlan Swordsharp. He puts his tankard down on your table and pulls up a nearby stool. "Right you three, fancy a break from apple picking? I might have a little job for you ..."
Woe

Re: Playtest 2 - The Hunt

Post by Woe »

"Yes anything! If I see another apple, I'm going to lose my mind!"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

"Just what did you have in mind, sheriff?"
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Marcus almost jumps out of his seat. "Yes!"
JoeCarr28

Bear Problem

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Dronlan chuckles. “Woah, just hang on there one moment, you don’t even know what I’m going to ask yet! Listen to what I have to say before making any hasty decisions ...”

“It seems we have a bear problem up in the Northern Orchards. According to reports, a particularly bad-tempered and aggressive bear has taken residence in a nearby cave and has been terrorising the farm workers. Things came to a head a couple of days ago - one of the farmers received a nasty claw wound on his leg when the bear trapped him up an apple tree. Ever since then, the local harvesters have refused to work until the bear has been dealt with. What I’m looking for are some volunteers to travel up there and sort out the problem. I’ll pay you 100 Sovereigns* each if you can get rid of the bear and get the harvesters back to work. What do you say?”

*A note on currency: the coinage of Glorantha is based on silver. Whilst both gold and copper are used as coins, silver is by far the most common monetary metal. The generic term for a silver coin is a “Lunar” (in honour of the Lunar Empire), but in Sartar they are commonly referred to as "Sovereigns".
Woe

Post by Woe »

"You just want us to scare away the bear? Sure ok, sounds like fun! Besides, I'd love a few days not near the orchard."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

"Uh, it doesn't sound like this bear scares easily. I'm as sick of picking apples as the next guy, or girl, but getting mauled by a bear doesn't sound like great alternative. 100 Sovereigns is a hefty reward though..." Filibert seems torn and somewhat apprehensive but seeing Elena jumping at the chance seems to steel his resolve. "You know, why not. It'll be good to get out of this place for a few days." He puts on a brave face but inside he's just hoping he comes back in one piece.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Oh Filibert, it will be fun! Maybe we can scare it off with a giant scarecrow made of apples!"
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
jcm

Post by jcm »

Marcus' enthusiasm is dampened. Still, he welcomes the chance to be doing something else.
"Um, a bear is it? I hope we don't have to harm it."
It's hard to tell whether he's more concerned for the bear or himself.