CreateSpace and Amazon Distribution

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: CreateSpace and Amazon Distribution

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:Yo, Chris, don't say no to this too quickly, but you should tack a dollar or 2 on the cost of the books and modules and use the profits to take yourself to a few of the big Cons and run some games. Maybe by a few books in bulk and give them out as prizes or something.
I agree, but technically these are not 'profits' at all. These are still within my concept of non-profit, all such margins getting rerouted back to the project.

The real issue, is that of Taxation and legal hurdles. With zero margins, an IRS agent cannot claim someone is earning revenue... however with a margin, however small, they might scrutinize very carefully to make sure everyone who is 'gaining' from the endeavor is paying their fair share. AND, one might have to actually register as tax-exempt organization and all that bureaucratic crapola in order to work within the rules/laws/regulations.

I can understand completely why Solo might simply choose to avoid all such crap involved in that. Don't get me started on political rants against our immense overbearing government and loss of freedom and all that comes with it all!!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm actually unable to make nothing from CreateSpace, so I have the profit margin set to the minimum. Whenever they come through with another payment, I may have enough to send a "care package" to some deserving BFRPG-oriented event (like a game at a convention). But I need to do some careful thinking about how to manage it.

As for attending myself, it's a matter of time and space. Not enough time, and too much space between me and most conventions.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

just a thought. Flights can sometimes be pretty cheap. Thats what I meant about using the overage from the sales to get you to a convention or two, set up a booth and/or run a game.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, here's an update on sales. As of right now, on Lulu.com I've sold 760 copies of the Core Rules; that's since the original release back in 2006 or 2007. On CreateSpace.com, since February of this year we've sold 816 copies of the Core Rules.

Egad. Selling on Amazon makes a huge difference!
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Wow. Nice!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
mhensley

Post by mhensley »

I just got my books from amazon a couple of weeks ago. It's an incredibly good deal. :D
Mike
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just an update... as of right now, 1,150 copies of the Core Rules have been purchased through CreateSpace.com. 140 copies so far this month alone... a significant jump averaging about 6 copies per day, vs. 3 per day for the previous several months. Lots of people are getting Basic Fantasy RPG for Christmas... I couldn't be more proud.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Love this thread.
Great news Chris!
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
djk1971

Post by djk1971 »

Awesome stuff!
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Any thoughts on putting some of the other books in the downloads section up for sale on Amazon? Or is getting them set up to print and bound a pain?

Either way congrats on the sales picking up! I be there were a bunch of happy faces this Christmas when they opened up the Core Rules.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360