And so it begins...

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
djk1971

And so it begins...

Post by djk1971 »

Hi all, I wanted to take a quick moment and introduce myself to the group. My name is Dan and I am a 42 year old GM. I started my gaming career back in the spring of 1983 with the original Basic D&D Red Box set. I have DM'ed every version of AD&D/D&D since. I also GM Star Frontiers, Twilight 2000, Car Wars, Battletech, TMNT, and Lejendary Adventures. This past January I kicked off a first edition AD&D campaign out of frustration/burn-out from the rules heavy game mechanics of 4th edition. Then, a few months back, I came across BFRPG. The system intrigued me, so I bought a few of the books. The more I read the more excited I got about what I was reading. It very much took me back to the type of gaming that got me interested in RPGing in the first place. I started socializing the game with my small group who, in turned, did the same with others they knew who were currently involved in 4th edition or Path Finders campaigns. The interest was overwhelming. I am super excited to be kicking off my first BFRPG campaign this Tuesday evening, taking largest group of players I have ever had at a table through The Olde Island Fortress. Thanks to Chris and all of the other contributors for bringing it back home for me!
SmootRK

Re: And so it begins...

Post by SmootRK »

Great Excitement! Welcome and please share how it all goes. We are happy to garner new recruits from those who have experienced the rules-overload of the recent editions!

... and I am also a fan of Star Frontiers. I have not done anything with it in some time, but in the past wrote a few "articles" for the Star Frontiersman magazine that Bill Logan developed. Great default setting in the rules; I love the originality of the races developed there.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Welcome! Like you I've also been steering more toward classic D&D and have ran a few classic D&D modules in the past year. The SRD just has too many special cases and too many numbers to crunch. Enjoy!
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Glad to see you've gotten the interest of your group! That's half the battle!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Welcome!!!
dymondy2k wrote:Glad to see you've gotten the interest of your group! That's half the battle!
I agree. Maybe more than half!
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

sounds like their's gonna be lots of fun to be had.
djk1971

Post by djk1971 »

1st night went as well as expected. The group rolled the party up together and the foundation was laid. Next session will get more into the mechanics, but so far everyone is digging it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

djk1971 wrote:1st night went as well as expected. The group rolled the party up together and the foundation was laid. Next session will get more into the mechanics, but so far everyone is digging it.
My favorite way to start a new campaign is by saying "Roll for initiative!" and as the order is being established, describe the situation the players are in and the environment. This is often just a tavern brawl with fists swinging. The outcome matters little, because if they are having their asses handed to them, I step in with something to break it up, whether a company of town guards or a bright flash from a wizardly fellow.

Then, I try to give them an objective or the main hook. The party has figured out who is who and is pretty much ready to say "OK you guys, lets go!" The rest depends on the nature of the adventure at hand.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
djk1971

Post by djk1971 »

I like that...a lot. I know how I'm starting the next session off now.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Indeed. Something to be said for in media res.
Go with a smile!