Kenku? Other monsters?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
swirler

Kenku? Other monsters?

Post by swirler »

does anyone know if there is a version of Kenku or something similar? I was also wondering about a way to know what is okay to use.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
SmootRK

Re: Kenku? Other monsters?

Post by SmootRK »

I believe Kenku would be a creation of WotC, thus technically off limits as IP. Of course, what you do and what you use in your own games is your business, but it could not be (ethically) shared directly.

That said, there is no reason one could not create your own variety with their own name. I am a big believer in BFRPG having its own completely original versions of creatures, rather than direct conversions.. even from 1e/2e materials. I don't think they can hold claim over 'bird-men' in general or the inspirational roots of such creations.

WotC states they are crow-men... so yours might be declared as Raven Men. Perhaps model them a little after Tengu which I believe is one of the inspirations for the Kenku itself.... giving them a name Ten'ku (close enough for the reference to be there). Give them a sort of background that says " Ten'ku are decended from the mythical spirit-folk Tengu of legend, having the appearance of a humanoid Raven."

There are ways of getting what you want from other ideas, but twisting them and making them your own.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
swirler

Post by swirler »

Yeah I was thinking they were based off of tengu and making my own version. I guess partly I was just curious what everyone who writes their own adventures to post or sell or whatever did. Thanks SmootRK
--James

SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The other part of your answer is that WotC declared many items Open (via OGL & D20 SRD). Anything else that appears in their books is off limits as a direct port. Much is still viable such as basic normal animals, but everything else should be original. Names might be off limits if they are directly concocted by WotC, otherwise many names coming from history, mythology, lore, are usable (but make sure there are differences in the monster itself).

Like I said before, BFRPG deserves its own 'feel' and should not be solely considered as a flimsy representation of other games. Having its own monsters, unique to BFRPG, only enhances the game itself!
swirler

Post by swirler »

I definitely agree with that idea. Is there any BFRPG stuff established besides what's in the core book?
--James

SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

SmootRK wrote:I believe Kenku would be a creation of WotC, thus technically off limits as IP. Of course, what you do and what you use in your own games is your business, but it could not be (ethically) shared directly.
Kenku predate WotC's meddlings ;) but you're possibly right in terms of carrying over IP/copyright from TSR (?)
I don't have my AD&D 1st Ed Fiend Folio to hand but I found this scan in a blog
And those stats will convert pretty well to BFRPG. :)

(I'd take the risk ;) :D )
swirler

Post by swirler »

heh heh pigeonpeople!
lol
--James

billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

You go up to one has say that! :D

( The scan was nabbed from here: http://diterlizzi.com/blog/we-dont-make ... ks-part-3/ )
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Kenku appear to be a TSR creation, but they are apparently based on the mythical Tengu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

... which, being mythological in origin, we could adapt. Does someone want to take a crack at a Tengu statblock? Shouldn't be a copy/adaptation of the WoTC property, but rather a new creation.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org