Shonuff's Art Thread

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Shonuff

Re: Shonuff's Art Thread

Post by Shonuff »

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the encouraging words.

Next up for the field Guide:

Octopus Fungi
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Just a pic for myself and my campaign guide i'm publishing, but if you like it, and can use it.. feel free guys.

Aktek Threefang - half ogre Warlord

SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Great shot. I like when you are on a roll with the art!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

i go in spurts. it's how my muse is. she comes and goes, as does my desire to draw. with Grand Theft Auto V coming out, i want to get some art out before i'm sucked in for a week. (plus i'm going camping next week thurs,- monday)
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

self challenge: halforc ranger with companion under one hour.

What do ya think?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Hey Sho.
How would you feel about tackling the other classic devils?
I have some thoughts on how they might look, but I can't draw for crap. If you don't want to take it on that's cool, of course, but I've been more and more happy with your ice devil every time I look at it and having a set of them that share a sort of consistency of design would make me extremely happy.
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

LibraryLass wrote:Hey Sho.
How would you feel about tackling the other classic devils?
I have some thoughts on how they might look, but I can't draw for crap. If you don't want to take it on that's cool, of course, but I've been more and more happy with your ice devil every time I look at it and having a set of them that share a sort of consistency of design would make me extremely happy.
I can definitely give it a good try. I've never been known to back down from a challenge, fail or not. So sure. tell me what ya got.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Sweet babies!

Okay, here's my thoughts. They are, of course, all suggestions, do what feels natural to you.

Barbed Devil: You know what I think when I see the usual Barbed Devil? This bit from Doctor Who: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uTyEvLmu7E No more. I envision it looking... devil-y (a certain amount of consistency among the lot would please me-- like castes of a single species), but with wicked-looking porcupine quills on its shoulders, arms, and perhaps its tail (if it has one).

Bearded Devil: I think the classic design for it with the beady eyes, scruffy and unkempt beard, and sloping forehead looks a little oafish. How you do the devil itself is up to you, but I'd like its beard to be handsomely groomed, with burning matchcord woven or braided into it like legend says Blackbeard used to do, cloaking its face in smoke. Maybe shaggy goat legs, but maybe not.

Bone Devil: I don't generally object to the classic look of these (though I think it's better with at least small horns), but it might be cool to give it a less "human" skull, maybe more like a goat or cow's.

Chain Devil: the early "mummy of chains" look and the "reject from Hellraiser" look both offend me on an aesthetic level. It should look more devilish if you ask me. I have the image of having chains digging into its flesh, or perhaps linked to it via large, heavy rings piercing its shoulders or arms. A fair number of either.

Erinyes: I don't see them as true devils, but fallen angels that threw their lot in with the forces of darkness. Maybe something should seem "missing" about them, like their faces are eyeless or their wings are insubstantial and ragged.

Horned Devils: Three Words. Irish Elk Antlers. Powerfully built, winged, and an aristocratic pose. It knows it's better than you. (References for irish elk: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _front.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bSIgIlMsUwM/T ... ntlers.jpg http://animal.memozee.com/ArchOLD-6/1138369711.jpg )

Pit Fiend: Head Devils In Charge. They shouldn't be all big hulking Balrogs-- that's what Type VI Demons are for-- but they still look strong. Possibly they wear robes, and it may not be immediately apparent that their wings are not just an outer layer thereof. I envision Chernabog from Disney's Fantasia as the prototype.

Imp: Why mess with perfection? As such, not part of my challenge, just extra credit.

Lemure: I never got why these were devils, aren't they just the souls of the damned. But let's run with that. The image of them being sort of melty and indistinct is good, but maybe they're also all bound up like Jacob Marley. If you want to do this one go ahead, but it's not a big deal. Like the imp, extra credit.
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

i like em. i'll see what i can come up with.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I know we already have a spined devil but it looks to be a different beast than the barbed devil. I actually already have a write up in the monsters thread for the horned devil..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony