Beginner's Essentials

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Beginner's Essentials

Post by chiisu81 »

I've posted both an update/"fix" of the standard sheet here, as well as started on my own sheet here. I'm not feeling needing to include page # references, as the BE isn't that large anyways and I'd like BE readers to be able to use the same sheet (if they wanted to) for the full BFRPG document/rules.

Do we like Beginners Essentials rather than BFRPG Quickstart?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Quickstart is a separate idea - there's a thread on it lying around somewhere. It has a GM section for new GMs, goes up to third level, has a quick adventure module, that sort of thing. We never got past talking about it, but I still like the idea and if I get the time may develop it if no one else gets there first.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

As suggested on Google+, Beneath Brymasson would make a great quickstart adventure:
http://basicfantasy.org/showcase-downlo ... sen-r6.pdf

At the very least, the Quickstart rules ought to mention this as a very nice adventure to begin with... or if one wants a meatier first module, then Morgansfort should be mentioned. After all, my first module (which came with a boxed set I initially got) was Keep on the Borderlands.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

If we don't add the adventure then some suggested beginning adventures would be a great idea. Morgansfort and Brymassen would be two that come to mind.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I personally would like to see an intro/beginners adventure included, and I think that's a great module to include.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

This is getting too complicated. This started as something a DM could give a beginning player so they wouldn't have to get bogged down in the entire core rules to start playing. It doesn't need a beginning module or anything like that.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:This is getting too complicated. This started as something a DM could give a beginning player so they wouldn't have to get bogged down in the entire core rules to start playing. It doesn't need a beginning module or anything like that.
I only mentioned it, because it came up in discussion (Eric Tenkar's site) that "real quickstarts" have everything needed to get playing quickly. ie. comes with an adventure or scenario to be complete.

Perhaps we more properly need a GM version of a Beginner's Essentials as a companion to this, and that would be the proper place for a quickie adventure to be located... everything the GM needs to get playing within a few minutes.

But overall, I am rather ambivalent to all of it, other than to try to put something into the hands of somebody who asks "what games have a quickstart rule sets?" as asked on that blog/google+... I have never found these rules (nor any of the modern D&D-ish editions/games/variants) to be too hard to utilize, but then I have been playing this sort of stuff since the beginning of time. It is hard to imagine how befuddled I was back in the 70's when first exposed to this sort of stuff.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

If anyone wants to create a quick start package, that would be cool. However, Beginner's Essentials is going to stay as it is. I will update it for the 3rd edition, and I still need to go over suggested changes proposed earlier, but this isn't going to turn into a quick start thing.

That said, if anyone does want to take that project on, you might wait until I update this for 3E, then take that and expand it.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

That has always been my feeling. Essentials guide needs to stay simple (I like the addition of a simple character sheet). But it would be a great start to a Quick Start Package.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

chiisu81 wrote:I've posted both an update/"fix" of the standard sheet here, as well as started on my own sheet here. I'm not feeling needing to include page # references, as the BE isn't that large anyways and I'd like BE readers to be able to use the same sheet (if they wanted to) for the full BFRPG document/rules.
Actually, the page numbers weren't BE page numbers. They were references to the Core Rules.
Hywaywolf wrote:... (I like the addition of a simple character sheet) ...
Yeah, that's the only big change I'm considering. I'd be happy to add one, but I either need someone else to do the work setting it up or it will have to wait until I can get around to it.