CreateSpace and Amazon Distribution

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SigilWraith

Re: CreateSpace and Amazon Distribution

Post by SigilWraith »

Put me down for ten more from the Big A when I get my next paycheck. There's just something about being able to approach a potential player in your upcoming campaign and saying "this is the game I'll be running, and here's the complete book...and you can have it!" :D

Oops...did a player just spill a Coke on his copy? Damn...now I gotta spend three seconds and hop online and plop down all of five bucks and have his new copy to him in two days :P

This is just an amazing game doing amazing things in awesome ways thru incredible venues.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Yeah I wouldn't mind dropping a few of these off at the FLGS.. we just had a new one open up here in town... Now we have two but the other is crap..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
frzntoz

Post by frzntoz »

Still no love for those of us in Canada. Shipping was more than the books I had in my cart. Hopefully one day the CreateSpace and Amazon people will fix this issue, and let us get these printed copies at a reasonable price.
--
pax et bonum,
frzntoz
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

frzntoz wrote:Still no love for those of us in Canada. Shipping was more than the books I had in my cart. Hopefully one day the CreateSpace and Amazon people will fix this issue, and let us get these printed copies at a reasonable price.
Agreed... this is crap for the Canadians. It should be an easy task to implement a similar print shop up there locally so that these stupid postage rates are a non-issue. Of course, it should be noted that this is squarely an issue with Amazon and CreateSpace, whereas we have no control over the situation.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I am just waiting for 3rd edition to come out. Patience ... patience ... patience ...
frzntoz

Post by frzntoz »

SmootRK wrote: Agreed... this is crap for the Canadians. It should be an easy task to implement a similar print shop up there locally so that these stupid postage rates are a non-issue. Of course, it should be noted that this is squarely an issue with Amazon and CreateSpace, whereas we have no control over the situation.
Yes, it entirely an issue for Amazon and CreateSpace to sort out. I really shouldn't be surprised, though. Sometimes these things take far longer than it seems like it should. For instance, we have only just recently been able to purchase Kindles natively from amazon.ca - before we had to order them from the US and pay horrid import costs. And how long has the Kindle been on the market? :evil:

In any case, this isn't an issue that can't be solved by a local printer in a pinch - just costs a bit more.
--
pax et bonum,
frzntoz
Jacqual

Post by Jacqual »

It is outrageous, I ordered a book off lulu.com and it just came in the mail while amazon.ca is being a pain in the but. lulu prints in North Caralina btw so I don't see why amazon is being stupid :(
Jacqual
Wandering Mage
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Jacqual, I saw that you live in Canada so I wonder how does printing in North Carolina help you? I live in NC so I am interested.
Jacqual

Post by Jacqual »

They just put it in the mail like a regular letter and then I don't get hit with all the border taxes. But Amazon.com registers everything so i have the extra taxes to pay from orders with them.
Jacqual
Wandering Mage
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

When I receive my payment at the end of this month, my profits from the project will finally meet my minimum estimated costs (basically, domain name fees, since the hosting is through my business). That means that further income (if any, but prospects look good) will be available for promotional purposes.

So I'm looking for suggestions. If anyone is planning to run a Basic Fantasy event at a convention later this year (because soon would still be too soon), let me know and we can discuss giveaways. Due to the bundling effect of super saver shipping, I'll need to choose the proposal with the most potential impact and send a "care package" to that person. One item in the package would be for the recipient to keep, while the others would need to be given to participants in the event (or at least, to interested people who show up at the convention). I foresee perhaps one or two such "care packages" a year at the current rate of sales and income (I'll also be buying items myself for promotional handout purposes).

Incidentally, the CreateSpace.com sales total for the Core Rules stands at 348 units. That's over approximately a 3 month period, so the average is almost 3.9 copies per day. The Core Rules sales for just May stands at 35 copies over 13 days (and today isn't over yet) or about 2.7 copies per day.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org