Beginner's Essentials

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Beginner's Essentials

Post by chiisu81 »

I guess it should be decided whether it keep this document updated for the upcoming release of 3rd edition, or "fork off" a copy so that there is still a BE for 2nd edition.

As far as editing to match the upcoming 3rd edition, there's no need to wait for further changes; the rules are pretty much set in stone and won't change, it'll be minor edits and such.

I don't know if a character sheet should be included in BE, as there's not one included in the full rules either.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Its called the Beginner's Essentials. A character sheet is an Essential :). The idea is that a new player can download a single file and have everything they need to play a first level PC.

I agree that there needs to be a BE for second edition and a BE for 3rd once it comes out. The 2nd Ed BE file is already created so all it would take is adding 2 more lines to the download page for 3rd Ed BE in PDF and ODT.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Hywaywolf wrote:Its called the Beginner's Essentials. A character sheet is an Essential :).
It's not. Last time I GMed I had all my players, new and experienced alike, just use index cards and it went fine.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

an index card is a character sheet.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

chiisu81 wrote:I guess it should be decided whether it keep this document updated for the upcoming release of 3rd edition, or "fork off" a copy so that there is still a BE for 2nd edition.
Will there be enough of a change to keep two versions around?
chiisu81 wrote:As far as editing to match the upcoming 3rd edition, there's no need to wait for further changes; the rules are pretty much set in stone and won't change, it'll be minor edits and such.
You're right that the changes are minor, but I still prefer to wait for the finished 3E. The rules are being tweaked, equipment added, and page numbers changed, and even a minor discrepancy might cause a beginner some confusion.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think you should just look over one of the basic character sheets already on the site and append it to your doc (of course giving proper credit). I agree that it would be ideal for new players to have something to work on... otherwise, while a simple thing, they don't have to wing it on their first characters.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Hywaywolf wrote:an index card is a character sheet.
Yes. But it is also not one. My point is a specially-made character sheet isn't what I'd call an essential because even a beginner can improvise one.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

its a sheet of paper (thick) with character data on it so that makes it a character sheet. It doesn't matter if it was a premade character sheet included with the Beginners essentials or written on an index card, a character sheet is essential to the game. So my point is that if you are making a file that includes everything needed to play a first level character why wouldn't you include a character sheet. Then as a DM you can skip the handing out index cards and just have them download the beginners essentials.

Heck, someone can play BFRPG without any of the rules by just sitting at the table and telling the DM what they want to do and the DM tell them how to do it. You wouldn't need a BE.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I was gonna suggest building off of the current BFRPG standard sheet, since alot of the others are PDF only, but it's a spreadsheet file. Should we just make a new sheet just for the BE within LibreWriter?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Sir Bedivere wrote:Will there be enough of a change to keep two versions around?

You're right that the changes are minor, but I still prefer to wait for the finished 3E. The rules are being tweaked, equipment added, and page numbers changed, and even a minor discrepancy might cause a beginner some confusion.
I think we should have a separate file/download for a BE for 3rd edition, and we can polish up the one for 2nd while 3rd is being developed.