Tiefling Feedback

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
darrylkoster

Re: Tiefling Feedback

Post by darrylkoster »

I like this. A city of doors to other dimensions. We could throw the perspective and gravity of it off so it looks like an M.C. Escher picture. Stairways going up, down, upside down, and on the walls. Sprinkle in some dimensional races like you said and voila!

Then the DM can decide what the other dimensions consist of. We could give some brief examples of some of them of course. Very cool setting.

I really like the Githyanki. We'll have to figure out a good replacement for them. I'd also like to create a Draconic race. Dragon in German is Drachen.

We should come up with a name for this world and make a separate thread for it so we can keep it separate from the Tiefling thread.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

darrylkoster wrote:We should come up with a name for this world and make a separate thread for it so we can keep it separate from the Tiefling thread.
indeed. Right now I am good for some idea generation, and quick review of material. However, I doubt I have the time or creative energy to devote to anything extensive.

As to Gith races, I like them too... but they are declared IP of WotC (if even they should not have such... some author actually coined the term as a race of otherworldly ones). Would be hard to emulate that without obvious comparisons.

I have not been fond of any draconic races so far, with the exception of one coming from a Savage Worlds game (Slip Stream perhaps - I have not looked at them in a while). So no real input from me on that one.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

I finished working on a Critical Hits and Fumbles supplement, well mostly anyway. There will be some edits that I have to make to it but it's pretty much all there:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=133

The next thing I'd like to work on is the Teufel. Too bad we lost the work that the original poster put into his "Helltouched" race. It shouldn't be too difficult to do anyhow.

I also found a decent amount of information about the planes in the SRD. So I'd like to take that and start working on a supplement that has that in it. It would probably be a good idea to put the Teufel in that just to beef it up.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Good Idea. BFRPG need a little planar stuff, but try to make it without the great wheel. After all BFRPG does not even utilize Alignment (except with a supplement). Perhaps planes can simply be themed dimensions, sometimes predominantly dominated by bad guys, sometimes good. I imagine each dimension as being little different than the prime world inhabited by the pcs with various differences. For instance

Asgard - realm much like prime worlds, complete with indigenous people, magical dwarves, elves, and numerous giants. The halls of powerful beings appear here and there such as the great fortress hall of Valhalla where Odin watches over the lands. The land is rugged and mountainous, and one must utilize viking ships to travel due to the hazards of overland travel - Giants rule the borderlands and wilderness. There is a realm of darkness called Nifelheim located beneath the surface of the land where there are lakes of fire, demonic dragon-like monsters, and a powerful being called Hel rules over the dead.

Olympus - another prime-like world but powerful beings called gods walk among the mortals. (basically just like prime world but dominated by greek/roman myth. The land of the dead is accessible by mortals on this plane, called Hades by the inhabitants of Olympus.

Astral - the plane between planes. Passage of time is variable while traveling, at destination roll on a table to determine passage of time while astral (from just seconds, to about normal, to years and decades(rare). Few things exist here, but occasionally an 'island' of sorts can be found often with inhabitants.

Elemental Planes - I think they are more habitable by primes... but vastly different. Fire plane is rocky basalt with pools of lava, a seas that have a film of oil atop that burns randomly. Water plane is oceanic with only occasional island - ocean is teeming with life... watch out for the Megalodon Sharks of this plane!!

Abyssal Regions - vast plane of differing terrains with one thing in common, it is dominated by what mortals call demonic or diabolic beings. These beings war amongst each other, war amongst the different types of beings, war amongst the various regions, war upon connected planes when possible. Some are highly regimented, others battle as barbaric hordes. The beings have a high degree of variety of form, intelligence, and power levels. (basically combination of all the hells/abyss/etc - allows any/all needed bad guys from various editions to be included if desired.

Realms of Madness - hard to explain. To understand would lead to insanity. Insert in your favorite Lovecraftian style bad guys.

Mirror/Mirror - take your existing campaign and turn it upside down. Star Trek mirror dimension is the inspiration here. Good guys act bad, bad guys are the heroes. Empires instead of commonwealths. There can be many different Mirror/Mirror dimensions depending on GM desires... look to TV show Sliders.

Null Magic Plane - plane where magic does not exist except what is brought from other planes (and these work only at fraction of normal power). Perhaps our Earth is one of these dimensions. Technology often comes from these planes.
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

Those are all good points. I like the suggestions and material.

Here are some related links from the SRD:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tiefling

" Tieflings as Characters

Tiefling characters possess the following racial traits.

* +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma.
* Medium size.
* A tiefling’s base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Racial Skills: Tieflings have a +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Hide checks.
* Racial Feats: A tiefling gains feats according to its class levels.
* Special Attacks (see above): Darkness.
* Special Qualities (see above): Resistance to cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Infernal. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Orc.
* Favored Class: Rogue.
* Level adjustment +1. "

------------------

SRD - About Planes

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:About_Planes

SRD- Plane Descriptions (Rules)

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Plane_ ... 28Rules%29
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Tiefling characters possess the following racial traits.
To Take this apart, BFRPG style, with changes to deviate from the declared IP:

Teufel
Description: --insert description text-- this is where one must really try to give it a feel of its own, else no matter what is done with stats and abilities, it is clearly copyright infringement.

Restrictions: Teufel can advance as Fighters, Magic-Users, or Thieves. Teufel are typically quick, witty, and despite their often dark personalities, they can be either very charismatic or have quite disgusting natures. They must have ability scores of 13 in both Dexterity and Intelligence. A Teufel must have either a high Charisma score (14 or greater) or a very low Charisma (7 or less). The typical Teufel is not often wise, with Wisdom scores limited to 15.

When additional Class Supplements are utilized by the GM, a Teufel often advances in subclasses that involve subterfuge or dark themes. Teufel Assassins, Illusionists, or Grave Masters would be appropriate. Likewise, a Game Master may often restrict a Teufel from noble classes, such as Paladins or Knights, and likewise they are barred from classes with strong ties to the natural world, such as Rangers or Druids. As always the Game Master has final say about use of supplemental material.

Special Abilities: A Teufel has darkvision (like Dwarves) out to 60 feet. Much like Halflings in non-preferred terrains, a Teufel can hide well, such that there is only a 30% chance of detection. Note that a Teufel Thief will roll for hiding attempts only once, using either the Thief ability or the Teufel ability, whichever is better.

Saving Throws: Teufel saves are normal, but a Teufel gains +4 against effects using cold, electricity or fire.

Combination Classes: Teufel can combine classes just like elves (or gnomes). Therefore, it is relatively common to find Teufel Fighter/Magic-Users or Magic-User/Thieves (see gnome supplement). When appropriate (and with strict GM approval) one may utilize supplemental classes in the same way as the standard classes. Thus one could have a Teufel Illusionist/Assassin or Fighter/Grave Master (or other appropriate combination), so long as all the various restrictions and requirements are met completely and not restricted by the GM otherwise.
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

Description: Teufel is a slang word for a human with demonic heritage. They are ridiculed by humans and demons alike, because to humans they are "half demon" and to demons they are "half human." They often live harsh lives, but their charms and their fierce nature compensate for this and many of them rise to become champions of their realm.

Although they are generally human in appearance, they almost always have some sort of demonic trait that sets them apart. Possible traits include but are not limited to: horns, pointed teeth or fangs, red or black eyes, strange hair color, elongated face, long or extra fingers, horse or goat legs, hooves, elongated arms, various types of tails, fur covered, hairless, leathery or scaly skin, strange skin color, or even feathers. Generally speaking if they have a strange hair or skin color it will be red, blue, green, or pitch black.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like it, but I still think it needs more of a unique twist or idea to differentiate from the original inspirations. Rather than spelling out all (or most) of the various physical characteristics , the physical descriptions could be a little more vague to allow for individual players/gms to think up things for themselves.

Perhaps instead of simply stating 'they are with demonic heritage', we could say something more like "Teufel are a race of human-like beings that carry some sort of curse or bloodline connected to some vile otherworldly creatures." --vague yet gets the point across. Also, instead of an actual true race of beings, perhaps they are a sort of random birth defect that occurs in places near places where supernatural, otherworldly evil, or similar events are occurring. Perhaps it skips around generations.

I like Chthulu-esque themes in games, so I could use the race with that aspect or as more traditional ones without modification or explanation of the difference. The race could be tied to other sorts of 'evil' creatures with equal ease if left rather vague as to background. Perhaps lycanthropy is in the character's lineage??... perhaps a vampiric love affair was in the character's heritage?? If left vague (as befits BFRPG) then it becomes a much more usable tool for GMs or Players to design with and it would preclude the need for additional 'races' to explain these other races. One does not need a Diabolical Hell Race, or a Tentacled Madness Touched Race, or Shifter (Ebberon), if one race can be designed to fit all the needs.
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

No problem, I'll work on the description some more and incorporate that. I played two games yesterday for a total of 11 hours. I'll have more time to put into this now. :D
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

darrylkoster wrote:No problem, I'll work on the description some more and incorporate that. I played two games yesterday for a total of 11 hours. I'll have more time to put into this now. :D
Nice... I don't have a game lately, so that makes me jealous.