Chapter 10

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Blazeguard

Re: Chapter 10

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken will take a spot towards the back of the line.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Elwegon would like to be in the middle but he doesn't really care
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

In general, we want the tough guys in front and back, and the squishy people in the middle.

Single File (after the Reeve & kid):
Grumm is our toughest, so I suggest he be in front.
Shybolt has proven himself a pretty tough fighter, so 2nd.
Timorel, the wizard & guy with the least HP, in the middle.
Rykken, as a pretty good fighter, next.
Elwegon is our second fighter, so I suggest he bring up the rear.

Two-abreast (after the Reeve & kid):
Grumm & Shybolt
Timorel
Rykken & Elwegon

What do you think?

EDIT: And I suggest Grumm stay as close to the Reeve & kid as possible in case they need to be protected, but then, I've been known to be a bit paranoid.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Sure, looks good too me
Last edited by Nightwulf on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Yep, sounds good.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

(OOC: I might have switched Rykken to the rear and Elwegon in front of him. First, Rykken has a lot of hp to gibe if we are attacked from behind. 2nd, we don't know this new elf so we can't yet know if he can be trusted to keep a good watch behind instead of wanting to know whats happening up front. And also, we don't know him yet, its not wise to have him armed and behind all of us.) :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The trail was indeed poorly maintained, narrow, and treacherous in spots, but what most struck the adventurers was the truly empty nature of the territory through which they traveled. It was not like traveling through the wilderness, untouched by man or elf, so much as it was like traveling through someplace haunted. All day long they marched through land that bore the marks of civilization long past... houses reduced by time to little more than stony foundations, roads with scattered cobbles, bridges crumbling so badly that the men chose to ford the streams rather than risk crossing them.

Irena had packed bread and salted meat for the journey, and the party stopped at midday to rest and eat. While they did so, Shybolt's sharp eyes spotted a winged form flying high above. At first, he took it for an eagle or a buzzard, but as he watched he realized he was looking upon the form of a dragon. But even as he warned the other travelers, Shybolt watched the monster fly out of sight.

Shaken, they resumed their journey. The overcast broke toward evening, and the light of sunset shone over a broad valley partially covered with fields and pasture; a few cattle and a herd of sheep could be seen in the latter area. On the far side of the valley they saw castle built upon a low rise, with a small river running before it. The condition of the trail improved, becoming a proper road (though still rather unkempt) and the bridge across the narrow river appeared to be properly maintained.

As they approached the castle more closely, the adventurers were impressed by its size but appalled at its poor condition. The gate squealed horribly as it was opened, by an old, somewhat bent man wearing a worn-looking chainmail shirt. "Reeve, evening," he said, nodding. "Th' baron's nae quite ready for ye."

"Is he ever?" replied the Reeve. "We'll wait in the common, if that be alright with you." The old man just nodded by way of reply, and the adventurers followed the Reeve and his nephew into the inner courtyard and thence into the keep proper.

The common room was large and drafty, its walls covered with faded tapestries that were obviously once very fine. A throne resided on a dais against the far wall, fairly reeking of disuse. Before it lay a table, set for a meal for perhaps fifteen or sixteen people; the long sides had benches, but at each end was a heavy, well-crafted, very old chair.

Already within the room was a man, at least as old as the Reeve and dressed in finery that was only very slightly shabby-looking. The Reeve and his nephew bowed to the man. "Good evening, Lord," said the Reeve.

"Good evening, Reeve," said the man, nodding slightly. "Please, introduce me to your friends."

"Of course, milord," replied the Reeve, turning. "These are the adventurers who've been delving beneath Redbluff. Grumm, Timorel, Shybolt, and Rykken. And this one is Elwegon, only recently come to our town. Gentlemen, please pay your respects to His Lordship Gravis, son of the Baron."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Wow, did I scare everyone away?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

"Your lordship I am delighted to meet you" said Elwegon
~Welcome To Night Vale
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

(OOC: I am probably oversteering in the direction of not jumping on the posts as soon as I see them. I am on the computer a lot so I try not to be first too much. )