Magic-User Options

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Re: Magic-User Options

Post by MedievalMan »

Joe the Rat wrote:
MedievalMan wrote:Bu...but my verisimilitude!
Oh that word...
Come now Joe don't tell me you are upset about the way I personally play games? ;)
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I think this is it. I've added descriptions for everything except the dart / throwing knife. I assume everyone knows what they are, but if I should add them, say so.

EDIT, 3/16/13: I removed the file because the line of development is a dead end. From this date (see below) the MU Options supplement will be a different sort of thing.
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Looks pretty good. So are we saying 1 cu ft for the oilskin satchel?
MedievalMan wrote:
Joe the Rat wrote:
MedievalMan wrote:Bu...but my verisimilitude!
Oh that word...
Come now Joe don't tell me you are upset about the way I personally play games? ;)
Sorry, obscure musical reference. "diplomat" : Ben Franklin :: "verisimilitude" : Joe the Rat
Go with a smile!
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

@Joe
Then I spoke too soon! I apologize for my lack of musical knowledge, Joe.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Joe the Rat wrote:Looks pretty good. So are we saying 1 cu ft for the oilskin satchel?
I think that's probably too big. Let's go w/ 1.6' long, 1' deep, and .25' wide. That's 0.4 cu. ft., and would be big enough to carry up to four spell books, or a spell book and a few other things.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I'd not fuss too much about it, but if you want to bring it down, just call it a half. Scrolls should be about 10" wide (assuming a standard cut sheet), so they can stand on end easily.
Go with a smile!
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

CROSS-POSTED FROM THE ART REQUEST THREAD

Would anyone be interested in doing one or more humorous illustrations for a new Magic-User supplement?

Solomoriah & I are talking about splitting the current MU Options (http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/BF ... ent-r3.pdf) into two supplements. The new supplement would be called "Magic-User Parts" and would be a big smorgasbord of options for the class.

I have two ideas below that are the kind of thing I'd like, but I'm open to the artist's inspiration.

I imagine a cover for the supplement that shows a factory building Magic-Users. In the background there would be kobold (or other short ugly humanoid) line workers attaching parts to MU torsos as they come down a winding assembly line. In the foreground, a manager and foreman would be arguing over a just-finished MU; the manager would be holding up the blueprints and shaking his head in obvious pain. The newly-finished MU would have something like an ear and an eye swapped, three arms, one leg, etc.

I imagine the interior artwork would be a different monster cutting, ripping, pulling, or blasting a hapless magician apart for each piece. The one I specifically have in mind is a smiling dragon w/ an MU's legs, arms, a staff & spell book lying on the ground below his mouth, but I'm open to whatever the artist(s) want to do.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Solomoriah has different ideas for the various class supplements, so contrary to the most recent direction I was taking for MU Options, the supplement will return to the smorgasbord style.

However, I actually dislike the current supplement, so this thread will shift topics to ways to fix MU Options.

First topic for discussion: What should a smorgasbord supplement look like?

Can anyone suggest a good one out there for BF? Something that could be used as a model?

What makes this kind of supplement useful?

How much discussion do people want about which rules to use? I.e., how much explanation, or design discussion, do you want?
Beowulf

Arcane Bolt question

Post by Beowulf »

I keep rereading it but I'm still not quite clear about Arcane Bolt. Is it treated like a Cantrip/0-level spell where you have a finite capacity (eg can cast it five times)? Or can it be used infinitely like a sling with infinite arrows?

Thanks!
Dimirag

Re: Arcane Bolt question

Post by Dimirag »

Can you specify which version or what source are you taking the arcane bolt? There are several takes on it.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/