Finding Find Familiar

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Finding Find Familiar

Post by Dimirag »

The bond between the mu and the familiar can't be dismissed with a spell, if the mu somehow manages to do that he will suffer the same effects as if the familiar where killed as the magical/spiritual bond breaks.
So mu must think between having a low HD familiar at low levels or wait to be of a higher level to acquire a stronger (more HD) familiar.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Haven't read the document, so apologies, but...

An animal familiar should grow in power as the magic-user does.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Haven't read the document, so apologies, but...

An animal familiar should grow in power as the magic-user does.
They do in a fashion... but not directly in standard Hit Dice like a character does. Here is that relevant portion:
As stated in the spell description, the familiar gets a bonus to its Armor Class and Saves according to its master's level (see table above in spell description). The familiar also gets bonus hit points equal to the level of the master. These bonus hit points do not factor into any other functions of hit dice. In addition, the familiar attacks according to it own hit dice or with the same attack bonus base as its master, whichever is better.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Channeling Familiars - the most overt way to tie familiars to magical capability. I'd be inclined to limit the MU (I tend to think of familiars as an MU trait - though this does give you a way to approach animal companions....) to magics thematically appropriate to the animals. Web for a spider, invisibility for sneaky beasts... fly would be a potential for any winged familiar. I suppose you could leave it open, but as soon as your mountain-hare familiar starts casting lightning bolt, books will be thrown. Detect spells would be a good option for any familiar - particularly detect magic. I'd (as a GM) allow this as a channel even if the caster doesn't have it in his or her library.

Losing a familiar - particularly through injury, should have some sort of feedback. Int loss (recoverable) and/or Wisdom loss would be a good one. If you drop below 9, you'd lose spellcasting ability until you recover.

Other editions caused HP loss - but in those, you gained hp from having said familiar.

If the familiar is an core bond and conduit for magic, then the magic-user might lose a level of spellcasting ability when a familiar is lost or released.

Releasing: I like this better for Items than for Animals - in part because the animal is a living thing - more than a pet, but in many ways like a pet. It's even less of an issue in the sense that you are not presenting a random chart for what animal you get stuck with - you are limited to what's in the local environment, but it sounds like you pretty much choose what animal - or the GM can provide a range of options. It's not quite clear about where the extra hp comes from for the familiars - are they gaining HD as their owner rises in level? If you go that route, the durability and capabilities (BAB) increase as well.

That said, gamewise I can see where you'd want to opt for something more physically potent or stylistically awesome - particularly if you can pick up one of the cool monster types.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

That is a great idea to limit spells in thematic ways, however that entails tables and tables of familiars and appropriate things to link to them. I will probably make such a suggestion in an area/appendix at the end where ideas for personalization might be offered.

For releasing/losing familiar, I agree that one might not rid oneself of a familiar (animal), no more that one might cut off one's own arm in order to get a more powerful replacement. The animal becomes one with the caster.

I agree also however, that in game and power-terms, a player may desire a more powerful sort of creature or special familiar. I think I may address that with a higher level spell, where the familiar (animal) is transformed into another more powerful form... perhaps this time with a sort of random table for the chance of something really special.
Cat -> one of the great cats
Bird -> eagle
rat -> giant rat, rat dog, etc.

etc. but this requires a bit of work and thought.
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

SmootRK wrote: I think I may address that with a higher level spell, where the familiar (animal) is transformed into another more powerful form... perhaps this time with a sort of random table for the chance of something really special.
Cat -> one of the great cats
Bird -> eagle
rat -> giant rat, rat dog, etc.

etc. but this requires a bit of work and thought.
while it make a lot of sense, there is a big risk. Namely the "pokemon effect" (the little pets can evolve over time)

another solution could be to let the familiar grow more in power and give access to greater power/spell at higher levels

as for the penalty, damage to Intelligence is an interesting one (but I would also keep a save vs death or go unconscious for a few hours)
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I gotta say, I think the spell-storing thing is really powerful. Like... too powerful. Something else might be better.

The item familiars are a really neat thing, I'm definitely excited about those.

As for familiar death... I'd say some sort of permanent (or at least difficult to heal) HP loss might be good. I'm from New Mexico and in our folklore lots of witches have been found out because they turned up dead after a hunter shot a raven or owl or whatever that was following him.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

LibraryLass wrote:I gotta say, I think the spell-storing thing is really powerful. Like... too powerful. Something else might be better.

The item familiars are a really neat thing, I'm definitely excited about those.

As for familiar death... I'd say some sort of permanent (or at least difficult to heal) HP loss might be good. I'm from New Mexico and in our folklore lots of witches have been found out because they turned up dead after a hunter shot a raven or owl or whatever that was following him.
Well, my intent was to make something much more substantial than simply gaining x bonus hp and something like +1 surprise... The thing is, for the bulk of players this means 1 or maybe 2 (after 6th level) such bonus spells. In my mind, hardly game breaking. But, I am flexible to other opinions on the matter.

Still working out how devastating the loss of a familiar is going to be... to hear of additional precedence for potential death is interesting.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Fabio_MP wrote: while it make a lot of sense, there is a big risk. Namely the "pokemon effect" (the little pets can evolve over time)

another solution could be to let the familiar grow more in power and give access to greater power/spell at higher levels

as for the penalty, damage to Intelligence is an interesting one (but I would also keep a save vs death or go unconscious for a few hours)
And here I thought my pika reference went unnoticed...

Thematically (and borrowing some from recent trends), I'd say the maturation of the caster/familiar relationship (yeah, I'm good with clerics now. Freya's priestess needs a cat.) might not require that sort of transformation. Transformation could be less overt - or more so. Hey, we're talking eccentric wizards.

If the beastie gains hit points, it might get larger, and gain better physical options. The ridiculously oversized wizard pet does pop up here and there. Another direction would be the addition of new abilities. This might require additional magics to achieve (Enhance Familiar). Maybe you want a housecat that looks like he could eat dogs. Maybe you want one with preternatural intelligence and the ability to talk. Maybe you want your cat to have wings and fly. That sort of thing.
Go with a smile!
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

SmootRK wrote: Well, my intent was to make something much more substantial than simply gaining x bonus hp and something like +1 surprise... The thing is, for the bulk of players this means 1 or maybe 2 (after 6th level) such bonus spells. In my mind, hardly game breaking. But, I am flexible to other opinions on the matter.

Still working out how devastating the loss of a familiar is going to be... to hear of additional precedence for potential death is interesting.
Well sure, but at upper levels that gets to be quite a few more spells. I'm not necessarily against it, and you've definitely got a leg up on me as concerns design experience, I'm just saying that it has potential to be pretty formidable, and if you want that much reward it seems to me that it should be balanced with a substantial risk.