jackels creations

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: jackels creations

Post by SmootRK »

jackel wrote:Hey Smoot,

I like it over all. One point I think we might(?) change is

"If a character's Constitution falls to 0, he or she dies permanently and can not be raised (but still may be reincarnated)."

Should we put in there that the lich could raise the dead character as an undead being under its control?

Other that that I still have to figure the Treasure and the XP. I will try to get that to you either later tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks for all your help on it. :D
Nice idea... I will add something in like this:
"those that fall to lich's draining attack will rise the following round as [some undead]. Those whom were drained and subsequently defeated are permanently dead and cannot be raised (but may still be reincarnated). Others who die while battling a lich are often used for Animate Dead spell or even more sinister magics."

Ideas for such "reanimated"?? My thoughts are for Ghouls under the control of the Lich.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Cool! i like it. Soon as I see Smoot or Solo give it a "approved" i'll draw it up!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Shonuff wrote:Cool! i like it. Soon as I see Smoot or Solo give it a "approved" i'll draw it up!
as stated in Field Guide thread... Lich is up and in the guide, with the full page art as its representation.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

My instinct is Wights, not ghouls. Ghouls work but given the origin of the usual RPG ghouls in Pickman's Model and the later Dreamlands cycle I tend to imagine them being more likely to be found in roving packs than as a lich's henchmen.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Pickman's Model?" What have I missed here?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

HP Lovecraft story?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Probably. I'm not up on my Lovecraft.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Yes. The ghoul as interpreted in D&D and subsequently much of post-1974 fantasy comes more or less from Lovecraft.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Perhaps we need something new for that idea? Otherwise, I am good with Wights. Battling a Lich, then your comrade who just dropped rises up behind you and whacks you with an Energy Drain (negative level). Ouch!

I think it would be fine, as the actual odds of a Lich in battle draining someone to zero (instead of spells and damage) is probably in effect quite remote. Having such occur, ought to have a reasonably tough problem to deal with.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Wights fit better than ghouls - a lich would probably prefer his minions not eat the bodies of his potential minions/research materials.
I do think that Wights might be a bit much, though. Energy drain from multiple sources? Something a little more recoverable would be friendly. Maybe a "Wight-lite" - the same basic build, inflicting the same type of ability drain as the lich?
Go with a smile!