Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Nightwulf

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Nightwulf »

Hi there I'm 17 and I am new to RPGs I have never played one but have always wanted too
I have downloaded a lot of the stuff off of this website I even made my own character sheet for this game
But I need tips on being a GM I want to play this game with my siblings but how do I do it????

Signed Nightwulf the Dragon Lord
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Welcome aboard!

You will find several members around who are very happy to answer questions and give great advice. There is a lot to absorb all at once. Go slow, perhaps join one of the Play-by-Post games. The game plays not entirely unlike other modern games offered at game stores or local groups (just different, and usually easier rules). If you find local gamers playing Classic D&D, Labyrinth Lord, or other such old school games/retros, then you will find the play nearly identical.

But, feel free to make inquiries about rules, game play, and such here. Loads of helpful people around.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

welcome to BFRPG. Like said above, read teh forums, get involved, ask questions and you will get plenty of comments. This is a very helpful bunch.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Thanks for the kind welcome you guys just so you know I am using an Android tablet so there might be a few mess ups with my typing the keyboard is really cramped
I have two quick questions first how do you draw these dungeon maps and stuff I can't draw worth a darn can you give me some tips???
secend how do I join these play by post games do I have to wait untill the GM asks if anyone wants ro join or do I just get on, because I know that if a new charactor is introduced it might mess up whatever the GM has planed for his group and I don't want to do that

Well good night
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nightwulf wrote:Thanks for the kind welcome you guys just so you know I am using an Android tablet so there might be a few mess ups with my typing the keyboard is really cramped
I have two quick questions first how do you draw these dungeon maps and stuff I can't draw worth a darn can you give me some tips???
secend how do I join these play by post games do I have to wait untill the GM asks if anyone wants ro join or do I just get on, because I know that if a new charactor is introduced it might mess up whatever the GM has planed for his group and I don't want to do that

Well good night
Cannot really help much in the art dept... you either have a knack for it or you don't. When you don't, you just utilize stuff that other people make. lol

As for the PbP or other games. I would begin by skimming/reviewing each game's little area. Do a little reading about how things had been going, and whether or not the game might be for you. You do the up-front research here. Then, shoot the GM of the particular game a msg to inquire about joining, being added to a que of waiting to play folks, or otherwise figuring out a way to work you in. Each GM will have different criteria in mind like how many players is ideal for him, posting schedules, or whatever, so expect to work with the GM to fit yourself in.

Don't get the impression that this is going to be hard... I would expect more positive responses than negatives, at least to get you into a waiting list to play if the GM has a full/large group. Otherwise, it seems most GMs are almost always able to add in an interested player. Really, just ask around such games... but use Private Messages and not gumm up their forum posts with inquiries.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Nightwulf wrote:I have two quick questions first how do you draw these dungeon maps and stuff I can't draw worth a darn can you give me some tips???
First, welcome to the Forums! Glad to see new faces.
As for the mapping:

Your best bet is to go download and print out some graph paper. You can find tons of differing sizes from google images. just download you some images of graph paper and print out a few pages, grab a ruler and a pencil and get busy. Make corridors, stairs, pits, rooms, doors...etc.
need help with what a certain dungeon furniture piece may look like, google it. or go into ourr workshop itself and check out other's maps.

See a room on a map you like? copy it onto yours.
heck , even make your own legend of shapes "This square with an X in it, is a canopy, or pit or whatever you want"

As far as getting them digital.. scan in your finished ( and inked) map and let others check it out, critique it and give you pointers. No one here should flat out tell you " you suck". helpful advice is just that..take it as that. constructive criticism.
Once scanned in, upload them to a photo storing site, like imageshack or photobucket.com, and then link it into your post here.

feel free to ask in the general discussion forum when you got questions.

again, welcome to the forums, bro.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just FYI, we have a mapmaking tool on the site (click the Tools link above) called MapMatic. You'd probably want to use either MapMatic +1 or +2 (+1 requires you to upload and download map files, +2 lets you create an account and save them on the site). However, I doubt MapMatic's drawing interface will work very well on an Android tablet. Haven't really tried it, but the click targets are pretty small by necessity.

In a perfect world, I'd have a free week or two to write a tablet-compatible version...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Ok thanks I'm going to try and hand copy the maps from Morgansfort into a graph paper notebook I bought last night now correct me if I'm wrong but the maps work like the levels on a computer based RPG like the game Diaoblo where your character(s) move on the map fighiting the monsters that come to get them I ask because there was no explaniton on how to use themaps in the rules
~Welcome To Night Vale
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Generally levels get harder as you go lower, but not always. If its a small keep or dungeon everything on all levels may the same level. In my opinion, your second level shouldn't contain next level creatures unless your first level provided enough experience for the PC's to move up a level. Keep in mind that in old school gaming, not every encounter will be something that the party can defeat. Its possible that a 1st level party may encounter a vampire riding a dragon. Sometimes to survive you must run or hide, unless you think you can talk your way out of something. Also, there is nothing preventing a 1st level party from skipping all your first levels and just walking down the stairs until they get to the bottom floor. They'll probably die, but thats old school. Players do what they don't and face the consequences.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/