Chapter 1: Wherein the Protagonists Meet at an Inn

This forum is for the rotating GM campaign started by Joe the Rat.

Moderator: Joe the Rat

Hywaywolf

Re: Chapter 1: Wherein the Protagonists Meet at an Inn

Post by Hywaywolf »

muddle assures himself that this isn't a serious lock-up, not with this flimsy lock. He'll return to his spot in the shadows and grimace as much as he can so his face looks as spooky as possible.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:Galen and Muddle both hear the quiet raspy voice - "No habla goblin? Non? Sprechen sie kobold?"
Galen, do you happen to know Goblin or Kobold?
OOC: Technically, the bard class languages are written as extra slots, that can only be filled as learned during the course of play... a scoach different than the first level allotment, left blank to be filled at a whim. However, if you are OK will filling the slots in a similar fashion to the initial set, then yes Galen would take Goblinese as one of his languages (a good choice regardless).

(assuming goblinese is understood) Galen turns his ear to the captors to try and ascertain what is being said among them, even in hushed tones. (Listen skill might factor)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Heh, forgot to double check where the slots came from. Okay, you can pick up goblini if you like, but the other will have to be learned as normal. (We'll assume you came across it somewhere between 0 and 3000xp). Goblini is spoken primarily by goblins and hobgoblins both (common knowledge), but is also a popular language among other less-than-savory humanoids.

Focusing your attention, the goblin-speech (and something you don't understand) is coming from the crows-cage hanging in the middle of the room.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:Heh, forgot to double check where the slots came from. Okay, you can pick up goblini if you like, but the other will have to be learned as normal. (We'll assume you came across it somewhere between 0 and 3000xp). Goblini is spoken primarily by goblins and hobgoblins both (common knowledge), but is also a popular language among other less-than-savory humanoids.

Focusing your attention, the goblin-speech (and something you don't understand) is coming from the crows-cage hanging in the middle of the room.
Nudging his nearest fellow detainee, "seems we are not alone in our misery". Galen tries to get a better look at what is within the crows-cage; he whispers (in Goblini) towards the unknown being, "what do you know of our predicament here? Be you friend, or foe?"
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hamish stumbles over to the bars to examine them. He notes:
the bars are set roughly into the floor, and crudely nailed and linked into place.
Are the individual bars set into the floor, or what? I'm not sure what this means, exactly...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jcm

Post by jcm »

Convinced that the real danger comes from outside the bars, Selene wakes from her fake sleep. She checks if she has anything on or around her that could be used for lockpicking.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Seeing that everyone else seems to be up Saeloria also gets up, trying hard to keep from touching, well, anything. She looks around with a haughty and disgusted look and barks at the guard, "Snoot, is it? I demand you open this 'cage' immediately. You have no idea who you are dealing with and I can assure you that the punishment from your boss will be nothing compared to what you will experience if you do not free me now."

She will then cast ignite, focusing it on the front of his shirt. (If it doesn't start his shirt on fire it should still scare him.)
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

SmootRK wrote:Nudging his nearest fellow detainee, "seems we are not alone in our misery". Galen tries to get a better look at what is within the crows-cage; he whispers (in Goblini) towards the unknown being, "what do you know of our predicament here? Be you friend, or foe?"
The voice whispers back "I'm supposed to keep an eye on their 'guests'.. I'll keep quiet if you get me out of here."
Solomoriah wrote:Hamish stumbles over to the bars to examine them. He notes:
the bars are set roughly into the floor, and crudely nailed and linked into place.
Are the individual bars set into the floor, or what? I'm not sure what this means, exactly...
The quality of the construction is as good as the description: crude and incomplete. The bars have been individually driven into the hard earth, then set in mortar, or bent into loops and hammered into stone or wood beams. A support bar links across each span of bars, mostly held with bent metal, or an occasional bit of rope. The ends of the cross-beam are then forced between the stones on the outer walls, and wedged and spiked on the supporting pillars. It looks adequate for holding frightened common-folk, but you might be able to force a few bars loose if you tried hard.
jcm wrote:Convinced that the real danger comes from outside the bars, Selene wakes from her fake sleep. She checks if she has anything on or around her that could be used for lockpicking.
You check a couple of secret spots, and find some of your picks are still there. You start searching around, and see some promising looking nails in one of the wine racks on the back wall. before you get to far on prying...
Blazeguard wrote:Seeing that everyone else seems to be up Saeloria also gets up, trying hard to keep from touching, well, anything. She looks around with a haughty and disgusted look and barks at the guard, "Snoot, is it? I demand you open this 'cage' immediately. You have no idea who you are dealing with and I can assure you that the punishment from your boss will be nothing compared to what you will experience if you do not free me now."

She will then cast ignite, focusing it on the front of his shirt. (If it doesn't start his shirt on fire it should still scare him.)
Snoot's initial surprise at your tone of voice ("Now see here girlie...") is nothing compared to the surprise he expresses at his shirt catching alight. he falls over (again), frantically beating at the edge of his shirt sticking out of his armor. He seems very frightened and cowed. "Haa... haaa... elf-witch! Ahh... beggin yer pardon, lady. Yes... um, let me see about the key. Tieg took it with 'im. Hang on." Snoot hurries up the stairs, leaving his crossbow on the table.

The pile of rags in the cage shifts, revealing a surly looking kobold. He speaks in more a yapping voice: "Huh, nobody ever did that before. Mr. Hit-things-with-a-stick won't give him the key, though."
Go with a smile!
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

"Well, that got rid of him for the time being. You there" she says, motioning at Hamish. "You look like a capable sort. Do you think you could force those bars? You'll have to be quick about it though, before they get back."
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Is the span between the bars wide enough for a smallish halfling to slip between? Its a slipshod job, surely they have some slots wider than others.