Combat with Floor Plans

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Combat with Floor Plans

Post by Solomoriah »

I think your difficulty in understanding the by-the-book rules is that you are trying, mentally, to convert the written rules into a grid system, even though they are not so constructed. The official rules have an abstract mechanism that supports map-less play. Hyway, there is no problem with his supplement changing the official rules, specifically for this reason... they aren't written for a grid, and that's exactly what the supplement is about.

The only thing I disagree with (so far, I haven't analyzed it in detail yet) is the prohibition of moving while engaged.

Have you ever played HeroScape? This sort of thing is a common action in that game. There's no "attack from behind" rule in that game, but there is an advantage for altitude that causes two figures to dance around in just this way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I'd like to, but for some reason I can't copy any text from that pdf doc.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Is an MS Word file any good for you?
Last edited by JoeCarr28 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

JoeCarr28 wrote:Is an MS Word file any good for you?
BFRPG - Combat with Floor Plans v0_02.docx
thanks. tahts working for me. I don't know whats wrong with the pdf. Usually I can cut and paste from them.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

I'm continuing to make steady progress with this. An updated release is coming soon.

In the meantime, if anyone has any nice photos of floor plans and miniatures that I could use to illustrate the supplement ... be they simple write/wipe battlemats, printed floor plans, or over-elaborate 3-D dungeons, I'd be very grateful if you could forward them.
JoeCarr28

Release 0.03

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Release 0.03 uploaded - see the first post of this topic. It's still a work in progress, and again all comments are very much welcome.

The whole Parting Shot issue is still a bit fuzzy with me, but hopefully this latest version is a step in the right direction.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

I don't like Tannen's chances against the ogre.... :P
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Joe... I've been using Maptools with my campaign and with the exception of the 1/2 movement when in melee range this is exactly how I've been running it. I will probably implement the half move in future gaming sessions though. Are you handling shooting through allies the same as moving through them? As long as the ally isn't engaged in melee with the target, they don't block line of sight?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

dymondy2k wrote:Joe... I've been using Maptools with my campaign and with the exception of the 1/2 movement when in melee range this is exactly how I've been running it. I will probably implement the half move in future gaming sessions though. Are you handling shooting through allies the same as moving through them? As long as the ally isn't engaged in melee with the target, they don't block line of sight?
The movement in melee wasn't in my original draft either ... it does run slightly counter to how Later Editions of the game handle floor plan combat. However, Solo and Hyway earlier in the thread felt that it was important for keeping a certain dynamism to the combat, hence the update. To be honest, I've haven't tried it yet. I'll be interested to see how it playtests in the Marketstone game.

Regarding shooting through allies, I think I would agree with you. I'll clarify that point in the next release - thanks!
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Joe.. I was considering the shooting into combat penalty and I had a thought that fits more into your supplement since it takes size into consideration. I was thinking that if your party was engaged in melee combat with a large creature that the penalty should be reduced to a -2 (and larger to 0). But if they are attacking a creature smaller than normal the penalty would be increased to -6.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony