Monsters I've made

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
danbuter

Monsters I've made

Post by danbuter »

These are monsters I've made for BFRPG. All are on my blog at http://sordnbord.blogspot.com/, and most have been posted to Dragonsfoot. Sol told me to post them here, as well. So, here you go:
Last edited by danbuter on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danbuter

Re: Monsters I've made

Post by danbuter »

Hag
Armor Class: 18
Hit Dice: 9**
No. of Attacks: 1 claw
Damage: 1d10 / poison
Movement: 30’
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Magic-User 9
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: M, N
XP: 1,225

Hags appear as large, bent-over, incredibly ugly old women. They are very strong, and can easily kill animals such as a bear. They usually live alone in swamps or dark forests. They prefer to eat people, and usually have a pot brewing in their home, ready for the next victim. Most other creatures avoid them.

Anyone facing a hag must make a Save vs. Spells or suffer a -2 penalty to hit. This effect will disappear one turn after the victim can no longer see the hag.

Anyone clawed by a hag must Save vs. Poison or immediately lose 1d6 points of Strength. A victim who drops to zero Strength lies helpless, and can be killed as a free action by the hag. Lost Strength will return at a rate of one point per hour.

Hags can cast bane (the reverse of bless) once per turn. Horses and animal companions used by adventurers will not approach the hag, and will attempt to flee if forced near her.
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

(My take on a Skyrim monster)

Draugr
Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 9**
No. of Attacks: 1 (weapon)
Damage: 1d10+3
Save As: Fighter 9
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: B, M
XP: 1,225

Draugr are the undead remains of ancient nord kings. They appear as a skeleton wearing ancient plate mail. They wield an ancient nord two-handed sword in combat. They are only encountered in ancient crypts.

Draugr can see invisible opponents.

Once per turn, they can use a dragon shout. Anyone in front of the draugr when he shouts must make a Save vs. Spells or drop anything they are holding in their hands. Items dropped will scatter 10 feet behind the character.

Draugr may be turned as vampires. Draugr are immune to Sleep, Charm, and Hold spells.
Last edited by danbuter on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

Steel Spider
Armor Class: 18
Hit Dice: 5**
No. of Attacks: 2 forelegs
Damage: 1d6 each
Movement: 40’
Save As: Fighter 5
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: special
XP: 450
Steel spiders are constructs used by mages to guard their possessions. They are made of steel, with jeweled eyes (worth 100 gp if removed). Their main body is only one foot in diameter, with each leg being two feet long. They are often painted black or brown, to help blend in with their surroundings.
Being constructs, they are immune to fear, charm, and similar spells. They take an additional 1d6 damage per hit from any attack that rusts metal. They only take half damage from non-magical weapons.
They have darkvision to 120’. They can climb walls, even hanging upside down. They are resistant to magic, and gain a +4 bonus to Saves vs. Wands or Spells.
Steel spiders are often placed in ambush, and can only be detected on a 1 on 1d6 if they are hidden. They can leap 30 feet, and automatically gain surprise when making a leap attack if they have not already been detected.
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

Ratmen
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 1 (see descriptions)
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage: 1d6 + poison
No. Appearing: 2d6
Save As: Normal Man
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: L (C, O, Qx10, S in lair)
XP Value:
Ratman: 25 XP
Ratter: 100 XP
Brute: 145 XP
Sorcerer: 235 XP

Ratmen are humanoid rats, nearly man-size in height. They walk on their hind legs and they use their hands as would a human. They are typically brown or black, though whites are seen. Their eyes are a deep red and reflect light, making them appear to glow at night. It appears that their goal is the complete domination of the land and the slavery of all other races. As such, they have no allies among the other races.

All ratmen have darkvision. They speak their own ratman tongue and some (20%) speak Common. Ratmen also have the ability to speak with rats of any type, and often use rats as spies and forward lookouts. Ratmen are constantly exposed to disease, and thus gain a +4 on their saves when exposed to some form of plague. Regular rats will not attack ratmen unless magically compelled.
Ratmen weapons are poisoned. Anyone hit by one must Save vs. Poison or take an additional 1d6 points of damage.

The majority of ratmen have no special skills (~85%). They are usually encountered in packs of 2 to 12. They conform to the listed statistics, and have no special abilities. If ratmen are preparing for a major battle, they don chainmail and have an AC of 15. They wield spears and short swords in battle. They can muster hundreds of ratmen before a major battle.

Ratters are ratmen who have an innate ability to command rats, equivalent to a Charm Animal spell. They will be leading 4 - 16 giant rats when encountered. If in an area populated by rats, they can summon an additional giant rat each round along with engaging in normal combat. Ratters have 2 HD, with maximum hit points. They fight with a short sword in one hand and a whip in the other. They have only a -2 to hit with their second weapon (the whip). They Save as a Fighter 2.

Brutes are the ratmen warrior elite. They average 6 feet in height and are quite muscular (+1 to hit and damage with a weapon). They have 3 HD, with maximum hit points. They wear plate mail (AC 17) and wield two-handed swords, great axes, and halberds in combat. They are immune to fear (including spells, dragons, etc), and have a Morale of 10. They are often used as bodyguards by the clan elite, as well as being excellent shock troops in battle. Brutes typically aren't too bright (Int 7 - 8), and as such are rarely encountered in any type of leadership capacity (except for leading other Brutes). They Save as a Fighter 3.

Sorcerers are extremely rare. They have 3 HD, but cast spells as a 9th level magic-user. They have a bodyguard of 30 brutes with them at all times. They are the masters of the ratmen race, and all ratmen defer to them. Sorcerers maintain a library and a laboratory much as human mages do. Each Sorcerer has his own selection of spells, but they all tend to prefer spells that cause lots of damage (such as fireballs), as well as using curses and spells that cause disease or prolonged pain. They Save as a Magic User 9.

Ratmen are extremely territorial, and often war with each other. A different clan rules each area, and if members of another clan enter the area, it is considered an act of war. These wars are often very vicious, and are one of the main reasons the ratmen do not overrun everyone just by numbers.

Ratmen also fight amongst themselves to determine rank within the clan. These fights are seldom fatal, but all ratmen are scarred, with many missing an eye or ear. The Sorcerers encourage this behavior, as their god says that only the strong may rule. Sorcerers are above inter-clan warfare, and often visit each other. No ratman would dare assault a Sorcerer or his bodyguards.
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

Beastmen
Armor Class: 13 (14 with shield)
Hit Dice: 2*
No. of Attacks: 2 (weapon/bite)
Damage: by weapon / 1d6 (special)
No. Appearing: 1d6 (4d6 in lair)
Save As: Fighter 2
Treasure Type: Q, S (B in lair)
XP: 100

Beastmen are strange mixes of humanoid and animal, with many having the head or legs of an animal race. Most beastmen have the head, legs, and hooves of goats. Other varieties have been seen, such as hybrids of bears, large cats, and wolves.

All beastmen are filthy creatures and havens for disease. Anyone bitten by a beastman must save vs. disease with a -2 penalty or begin to lose one point of Constitution per day. If their Constitution drops to zero, they die. The disease can only be cured with magical healing.

All beastmen appear to be male. They reproduce by capturing females of other races and raping them. They then keep the women prisoners until they give birth. Baby beastmen eat their way out of their mother’s stomach, so the birth is always fatal for the mother. Beastmen appear to be able to reproduce with all sentient races. The baby is always a beastman male, and often looks nothing like either of its parents.

Beastmen raiders typically attack a village at night, killing all of the men and children, and herding the women back to their camps. The slaughtered men and children are typically eaten, with many beastmen carrying a hacked-off arm or leg home as a snack.

Beastmen are quite tough, and have a natural Armor Class of 13. They use weapons and shields, preferring spears, swords, and axes. Each beastman also has either fangs or tusks, which they use in combat. They have darkvision to 60 feet, allowing them to easily raid at night.

Beastmen live in forests, preferably close to farmlands that they can easily raid. Within the forest, they live in caves or villages that they’ve taken from other races. They do not build things themselves.

Beastmen have no allies among the monster races. Even orcs and goblins hate them, as the beastmen view all other races as food sources and potential breeders.
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

Banshee
Armor Class: 19
Hit Dice: 7**
No. of Attacks: 1 fist/1 wail
Damage: 1d8/1d10
Save As: Magic-User 7
Treasure Type: special; M, N, special in lair
XP: 800

Banshees are the spirits of young women who were murdered, usually by a lover. They haunt the area around where they died. They appear as translucent women, much as they did in life. All banshees carry a silver comb worth 100 gp. When first encountered, they are often found combing their hair.
Banshees may be turned as Vampires. They may only be struck by magical weapons or spells. In combat, they will always target men before women.
They are intelligent and may be bargained with. If anyone in the party is a male of the race of their murderer, they will attack that individual. They generally won’t attack women unless they are attacked first.
Banshees are very strong and do 1d8 damage when striking someone. Once per turn they can wail, which causes 1d10 damage in a 30’cone. When the banshee is first encountered, characters must Save vs. Paralysis or run away in fear for 1d6 rounds.
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

As a side note, there are a bunch of other monster conversions in my Sword & Board supplement (available on this site and at RPGNow). If anyone is making a big monster book, feel free to add these monsters and the ones in S&B into your monster book.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nice, I will see about folding them into the Field Guide.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

Jack O’Lantern

Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 3*
No. of Attacks: 1 fire attack
Damage: 2d6
Movement: 20’ Fly
No. Appearing: 1d6
Save As: Magic-User 3
Treasure Type: U
XP: 175

Jack O’Lanterns are evil, magical creatures. They may be constructs or a type of faerie. They are sentient pumpkins. They look like a normal jack o’lantern but they can fly. Their face is quite expressive, and they often laugh as they kill their victims.

Jack O’Lanterns are immune to poison, charm, and sleep affects. They take double damage from water and air-based attacks. If their candle is snuffed, they become dormant. Lighting a candle in a Jack O’Lantern will bring it back to life.

Jack O’Lantern’s can shoot fire from their mouths. This fire fills a cone five feet out from the creature. Anyone caught in the blaze suffers 2d6 fire damage. A successful Save vs. Spells allows the victim to suffer only half damage.