Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
User avatar
Steveman
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Norcal
Contact:

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:16 am

It appears to be missing some of the Kara-Tur Monstrous Compendium monsters.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 7935
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:50 am

Of course you know, we can't use any of that. We can only borrow from OGL sources.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3703
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:00 am

MedievalMan wrote:I deserve some mad props for finding this.

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_index.php

I do believe that is the description and statistics of every single monster ever produced for 2nd edition.
I use another, but similar site for doing some comparisons:

http://mmadnd.chat.ru/MM00000.htm

but, I am thinking the index of your find is nicer.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/viking-life
User avatar
shadowmane
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 am

I deserve some mad props for finding this.

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_index.php

I do believe that is the description and statistics of every single monster ever produced for 2nd edition.
Of course you know, we can't use any of that. We can only borrow from OGL sources.
Are the Monstrous Compendiums not an OGL source? Or Planescape, where a lot of these are from?
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3703
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:23 am

certain things just cannot be copyrighted, but their specific stats for a certain game can. Of course, if you just have to stat up a goat... by all means, it will likely look quite similar.

Best to focus on all-new interpretations of certain concepts, rather than the porting of the materials from copyrighted games. Go back to the inspirational sources, rather than the game mechanics, and write new. Of course, such materials are great for other inspirations, mixing and matching things, comparing, and seeking ideas otherwise.

In other words, even if you do get an idea for something that already exists, make certain your idea has differences in both concept and implementation, to make certain you are not violating a company's copyright... and in my mind, more importantly, to give BFRPG a unique take on ideas, giving our preferred game a flavor all its own, by having loads of unique and different interpretations of material... rather than just endeavoring to copy as much stuff as possible from these other games.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/viking-life
Ogre
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Under devourer it says they resemble Munnies.

:?

Unless Munnis are something I just haven't heard of I assume it means Mummies.
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3703
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:36 pm

I ditched the Devourer, a 3.x monster that was nonsensical mash-up of abilities and whatnot, apparently made undead as an afterthought to fill a certain void of monsters of certain types and certain levels that those games seem to thrive on.

I have yet to get back into this in a big way, as I still want to get more done with the Spell Supplement (Libram Magica) and the Bard Supplement (which is done except for filling in the spell lists for the druid and mu variants).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/viking-life
Ogre
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

SmootRK wrote:I ditched the Devourer, a 3.x monster that was nonsensical mash-up of abilities and whatnot, apparently made undead as an afterthought to fill a certain void of monsters of certain types and certain levels that those games seem to thrive on.

I have yet to get back into this in a big way, as I still want to get more done with the Spell Supplement (Libram Magica) and the Bard Supplement (which is done except for filling in the spell lists for the druid and mu variants).

Uhm... so I shouldn't of just spent the last 30 minutes drawing one.... :lol:
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3703
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Ogre wrote:
SmootRK wrote:I ditched the Devourer, a 3.x monster that was nonsensical mash-up of abilities and whatnot, apparently made undead as an afterthought to fill a certain void of monsters of certain types and certain levels that those games seem to thrive on.

I have yet to get back into this in a big way, as I still want to get more done with the Spell Supplement (Libram Magica) and the Bard Supplement (which is done except for filling in the spell lists for the druid and mu variants).

Uhm... so I shouldn't of just spent the last 30 minutes drawing one.... :lol:
yeah, saw that. lol

How about you re-imagine the monster completely and submit it? I am thinking there could be something there; it just did not seem anything more than a hodge-podge of abilities with an undead label dropped on it. Perhaps with a fresh perspective, fresh description and rationale, it might be usable. (but I would suggest that you don't reference the original 3.x material... I think it would need perspective that is not skewed by that mess.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/viking-life
Ogre
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:25 pm

SmootRK wrote:(but I would suggest that you don't reference the original 3.x material... I think it would need perspective that is not skewed by that mess.
Easy enough, as I thought it was an original creation.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests