Backgrounds and Specialties Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Birthright

Re: Backgrounds and Specialties Supplement

Post by Birthright »

Heh. When I d/l-ed the latest D&D Next packet I saw the section on backgrounds and specialties and thought "Hey, that sounds familiar...". Which, of course, it was 'cos I WROTE THE BFRPG SUPPLEMENT! :)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Birthright wrote:Heh. When I d/l-ed the latest D&D Next packet I saw the section on backgrounds and specialties and thought "Hey, that sounds familiar...". Which, of course, it was 'cos I WROTE THE BFRPG SUPPLEMENT! :)
Do you think they really directly used your materials? That's both sad and funny at the same time. There is a copyright notice (yet it is OGL)... you might sue to get royalties if they really use the materials in the final release.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

No, they didn't. The materials in the playtest are different enough to be easily recognized as them taking the same basic, pan-system, concept and rolled with it their own way. Also, if they had taken BFRPG's system, the rules in the playtest document wouldn't be as poorly written.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Steveman wrote:No, they didn't. The materials in the playtest are different enough to be easily recognized as them taking the same basic, pan-system, concept and rolled with it their own way. Also, if they had taken BFRPG's system, the rules in the playtest document wouldn't be as poorly written.
I have not taken any looks at the material yet. I am open to take a look once they finalize stuff, but in all likelihood, I will just look at the rules for any tidbits that might be useful in my own campaigns.

Do they seem to be living up to the claim that they are going to be nearly universally interchangeable between all the editions?? I have doubts.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

That was never a claim, not even an inferred claim, only hyperbole expounded by people who did not understand the claims they made.

Mearls has been very clear in stating that he's making a game that is a half-way step between "Basic" D&D and the d20 system D&D with a large selection of optional rules that can be added in to replicate the feel of other iterations of the game, but not to be interchangeable with them.

It is a lofty goal, and I do not know if they can pull it off. However, even if I do not like the outcome, I do respect an attempt to do something good. My lack of respect for D&D4 comes from Heinsoo and Noonan's inability to realize that "we don't like game, lets make a brand new game, change everything everyone knows and loves and put the old name on it" is a terrible way to foster community support and forward progression of a franchise.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

SmootRK wrote:
Birthright wrote:Heh. When I d/l-ed the latest D&D Next packet I saw the section on backgrounds and specialties and thought "Hey, that sounds familiar...". Which, of course, it was 'cos I WROTE THE BFRPG SUPPLEMENT! :)
Do you think they really directly used your materials? That's both sad and funny at the same time. There is a copyright notice (yet it is OGL)... you might sue to get royalties if they really use the materials in the final release.
No. I thought it was funny that WotC are using as headings "Backgrounds" and "Specialties" to flesh-out characters when I had a similar idea (even down to the names) a fair while back for BFRPG. I had pretty much forgotten about the BFRPG supplement and didn't remember it until I read some D&D Next related threads online that started using the phrase "backgrounds and specialties".
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

Hi Folks,

I have been a big fan of BFRPG since before the OSR identified itself as such, and my initial plans to publish Urutsk: World of Mystery was through BFRPG (but I didn't, more's the pity). I'm back here and looking through the Alternative Rules and Additions of this section, the idea came to me to combine it into a design method for creating custom PCs; not quite a point-buy method so much as a Pick-and-Choose menu of options. Speaking with Solomoriah, he suggested I give you guys the heads up and ask for your input, which I gladly solicit.

I think that I'd like to try more of the PnC rather than the % increase on the Base Class model of the Quasi-Classes, but, I'm flexible on this point. I do want to keep the individual XP progression.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Is it me or this supplement isn't available anymore ?

Is it a mistake or the author wanted it to be removed ?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's under revision right now. Timeshadows is working it over.

The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1417&start=40&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Does someone still have a copy of the older version ? I think I deleted it and wanted to check something. If so, can you send me a PM ?

Thanks guys !