Assassins Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Assassins Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the Assassins Supplement.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#assassins
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Assassins Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Just posted Release 2. Here's what I think needs to be done to finish this class:

First, the Assassin needs his own ability table. With all the abilities combined on one table, we can consider if the Assassin advances faster or slower than the Thief, and consider other balance issues. Right now, Assassins require dropping the human XP advantage, but as I'd like to allow them to be half-human, I'd like to rebalance the class to avoid this.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Just posted Release 2. Here's what I think needs to be done to finish this class:

First, the Assassin needs his own ability table. With all the abilities combined on one table, we can consider if the Assassin advances faster or slower than the Thief, and consider other balance issues. Right now, Assassins require dropping the human XP advantage, but as I'd like to allow them to be half-human, I'd like to rebalance the class to avoid this.
I had started to take a look at Assassins (in a work that covers all sorts of Thief related classes), but I did not get far. I don't particularly like the "same as thief (but shifted a couple levels), just with even more abilities" way of doing it. I'd rather seem them drop abilities that don't have as much to do with Assassination. Drop 'remove traps', even 'listen' or 'pick pockets' and leave those abilities for standard thieves. If one wants a 'spy character' then a standard thief will do better. Remove Sneak Attack (as it stands for Thief) and replace it with a similar ability that grants 'kill/massive damage or nothing' sort of attack.

But that is just my takes on it.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think Listen needs to stay, but I agree about Remove Traps and Pick Pockets.

Take a look at the supplement and let me know what you think.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:I think Listen needs to stay, but I agree about Remove Traps and Pick Pockets.

Take a look at the supplement and let me know what you think.
I am still trying to clean up a few things (as well as (now) review my sets of updated/never-released supplements), but I will try to cue up my 'fresh look at Thieves' supplement for attention. The class (assassin) certainly needs a fully-fleshed out write up so that it does not need constant referencing of Thief (so it stands complete and self-contained).
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Listen is almost a must to the Class I'll give it a table with it's own percentage value for skills and change/remove some of them.

Pick Pocket -> Sleight of Hand: Use to pour poison into a victim's drink.
Remove Traps can be remove
Add Shadowing, Disguise and Create Poison (the file already uses them but makes one to look into the Thief Skill Table).

Waylay can be combined with Assassinate as they work exactly the same but it only differentiates from the final effect regarding if the damage done is either lethal or subdual.

BTW I'm also making an Assassin sub-class, quite similar to this but with a different Assassinate ability
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:Waylay can be combined with Assassinate as they work exactly the same but it only differentiates from the final effect regarding if the damage done is either lethal or subdual.
agree completely with this suggestion

I can agree with the others, however I also realize that sometimes there is a matter of "give & take" that must occur to make things have some sense of balance. Realize, that if they need to have everything and the kitchen sink in their bag of tricks, then their XP table needs to be revamped heavily upwards (which might be prudent anyhow).
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Seeing as Assassins are human only sans bonus XP, too much upward movement might be a problem. Personally, I think anything higher than the Fighter's XP table would be inappropriate. An d4 hit die melee focused character like that Assassin on the Wizard's table would not be fun to trudge through.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Steveman wrote:Seeing as Assassins are human only sans bonus XP, too much upward movement might be a problem. Personally, I think anything higher than the Fighter's XP table would be inappropriate. An d4 hit die melee focused character like that Assassin on the Wizard's table would not be fun to trudge through.
I agree, which is why I suggest some stripping out of stuff that might not be absolutely necessary in order to achieve the 'assassin archetype'.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, like Smoot said. That's where I want this to go.