New GM's million questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
xav++

New GM's million questions

Post by xav++ »

Hi! I'm new to this game and I want to GM but I have a list of questions.
1. Magic Users at level one have read magic and one other spell correct? Can they only cast that one extra spell once a day?
2.Thief's chart of skills what the heck am I(or the player) rolling?
3. I'm assuming that most of the charts for like turn undead, saving throws and abilities are roll whatever you're rolling and exceed the number?
4. How do you determine ac?
5. Not really a question but I was wondering if there are any tips on the module?
I promise I've read the rules but I'm confused.
Droyson Fillif Level 3 cleric
MedievalMan

Re: New GM's million questions

Post by MedievalMan »

Hello and welcome.

1. The Magic-User progression chart on page 8 lists how many spells of a certain level a Magic-User can cast per day. They begin play normally knowing Read Magic in addition to 1 other spell (though different GM's sometime change this). They can however only cast 1 spell per day at first level.

2. The Thief skills are all based on a percentile chart, which is based on the d100. The normal way to roll for the chart is roll 2d10 one for the tenths place and the other for the single digits place. Your aiming to roll under the listed the number based on the Thief's level.

3. Yes for most abilities you want to roll higher than the listed number.

4. AC is determined by finding the base AC (which is usually 11). Wearing armor increases the base AC. So for Leather Armor the base AC is 13 instead of the usual 11. After that you simply add any sort of modifiers, such as Dexterity bonus, magical bonus, or the +1 from shields and that's your AC.

5. I haven't read the module myself, others people are probably better suited to answering that question.

Anyway hope that helps, other people will probably also answer your questions its best to read what everyone has to say. Good luck and happy gaming.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

Thanks alot that does help! I'm still a little nervous on the game but I guess I'll get the kinks out lol
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Once you get the hang of it its an easy game to run. One of the reasons I love it so much. If you ever need any help feel free to ask it might take a bit but someone will usually lend you a helping hand.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Welcome to the club! It looks like MM has answered your questions already but feel free to ask about anything. We're a pretty helpful group here.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

Ok I'll have plenty. I think I'm going to like this game. I'm a fan of lite rules and am disillusioned by DnD(but the new edition seems like it might turn out ok I'm playtesting it) and other games but I love em all anyway. Seems like this will be a good standard though. I'd like more crap that I could buy for this game though. Like an actual screen lol.

OH I've got a question! Why with a spell rule like that would anyone want to be a low level magic user?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

To become a high level Magic-User of course. Grades of power. Fighters start off strong and weaken over time. Magic-Users start off weak and become strong at later levels.

Its about the group working together. No one character type can go it alone, they all need one another for various reasons.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

This game is just so elegant to me. Now all I have to do is become a good GM. There should be a tip area on here. :shock:
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Best advice for getting started GMing is to just jump on in and have fun! DO NOT BE AFRAID TO MAKE MISTAKES! Just remember to learn from them.

Another piece of advice I've found very useful over the years, given to me in the late 90s by some old guy named Gary; "Whenever one of your players does something ingame to impress you, something clever, or something that just flat out makes you say "oh wow, that was cool", reward them without fail."
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
xav++

Post by xav++ »

Ok sweet I'll remember that, now how much room for growth in the game is there outside of the basic rules? I have a player that wants to be a ranger. But that obviously isn't in the original rules. For now we are playing completely by the one but book but is there stuff I can build off of it?

Also what kind of music do you guys play while playing? I like old prog music like Rush and Dragonforce is good but are there any others like em that you guys use?