Future Items

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
MedievalMan

Future Items

Post by MedievalMan »

I got a bug to write up some future weapons and armor. If you have any suggestions on gear or weapons/armor you would like to see let me know.

EDIT

Alright I went back and rewrote everything. Should be a whole lot clearer and more straightforward. I still need to write general equipment descriptions but seeing as I finished weapons and armor I figured I would share what I have.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2OIiZb ... 1jek0/edit

Any and all opinions/critiques/suggestions will be taken into consideration. Thanks for any views and happy gaming.
Last edited by MedievalMan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steveman

Re: Future Weapons, Armor and Gear

Post by Steveman »

How far future?

Cyberpunk/"Next Year"?
PEL and Charged Plasma (theoretical next steps)?
Space Faring Whirlymagigs of Doom?

also, you might want to look at Stars Without Numbers. As much as I enjoy BFRPG, I prefer to use genre catered games when working within a genre.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I have a whole folder filled with Stars Without Numbers stuff. Love that game.

I dunno just generic future stuff. Just doing it for fun. Here is what I have so far. Its rough and only includes weapons and armor but its a fun taste.
Last edited by MedievalMan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

I have once dropped a 40k Chainsword into a game as treasure for my players.

They had to fill it with lamp oil every day to keep it running, took a round to start up, and was loud as all get out - making sound-based stealth impossible.

It was heavy and unwieldy, only Fighters could use it without a -4 penalty to hit. Half-ogre Fighters could use them one-handed, everyone else had to two-hand it (because it was a chaos marine chainsword, not an imperial guard one).

It dealt 2d6+strength points of damage, and on a hit it destroyed one piece of any nonmagical armor worn.

As intended they used the chainsword a couple of times, dumped it off because it wasn't worth the effort - then pulled it out when they had to do battle with a Shadow Titan (chaos space marine) to breach his armor.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Chainsword. I am so adding that in. :D
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Needs a Monofilament Sword, knife, Whip, Garrote: Essentially cords of matter held together by magnetic, electrostatic, and nuclear forces, with the "edge" being just a few atoms thick... sharper than the sharpest scapel.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Yeah I need to add in a few more weapons. Maybe a shield of some type. What I really need is gear. I had a few ideas like goggles that let you see in the dark, and the handheld portal device (lol), but I need to come up with some more stuff.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Start with the obvious... stuff we have right now. Then add in:

Pocket sized or Notebook sized computing devices, with satellite uplink to the planetary system-net.

Hover Boards from "Back to the Future"

Jet-Ski sized personal conveyance vehicles (hover/flight). Think "Minority Report" or that flight motorcycle from "the Island"

Genetic Code Field Test Kits - within moments decodes DNA (or equivalent for known alien races). Excellent for medical knowledge, absolute identification, new species cataloging. Illegal to use by anyone other than law enforcement (an ethical law obviously).

Absolute Glue - bonds instantly at molecular level. Surrounding material will break before the bonded surfaces does.

Molecular Grease - most efficient lubricating material ever devised. Essentially creates frictionless flat surfaces. Usually applied as a simple spray, only a few molecules thick.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Of course. I will probably end up having a quite a trove of stuff.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

SmootRK wrote:Genetic Code Field Test Kits - within moments decodes DNA (or equivalent for known alien races). Excellent for medical knowledge, absolute identification, new species cataloging. Illegal to use by anyone other than law enforcement (an ethical law obviously).
Yes, we absolutely need a Pokédex.

Did SWN have a tricorder? 'cause you really need some sort of radiation /photometer/gas spectrometer / motion detector thingy.

A lot of the current media has decided that the whole direct energy thing is kinda silly, so we will be using PRC-90s in the future. How's the automatic fire rules?

You could also explore some of the other fun toys we've got in the works, like the various active denial weapons (no-minimal damage, but really unpleasant)
Go with a smile!