Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Spells Needed

Post by SmootRK »

When I look at their spells, they seem rather thrown together quickly, so I doubt balance is well thought out.

I think if I were to give the class a re-write, I would substantially modify their spell list to include more of the utility that a standard magic-user would have... perhaps, by adding spells that simply have facelifts to fit the 'style'.

For instance:
Charm Person - the pyromancer produces a small blue flame that dances about in a hypnotic way in front of the chosen target, leaving him or her very susceptible to the pyromancer's influence.... etc.

Floating Disc - a floating disk of black charcoal like material is summoned. The disc appears to smolder and burn around the circumference. At the end of the spell, the disc crumbles into ash.

Dimension Door - the pyromancer brings forth a column of fire that the caster steps into with a flash and is instantly transported to another location chosen..... etc.

And so forth for the rest of the spell list.

As a player, I have never had trouble playing themed mages. I try to create the visuals that support any particular chosen theme. I have played a Ice Mage before, a Fire Mage (like above), and more by simply changing minor details in spells to suit my character's theme. I even briefly played a flamboyantly homosexual magic-user where I colored all my spells with pink and rainbow themes. He even summoned (by Mount spell) a "my-little-pony-styled pink" horse to ride.... that character did not last very long though :?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

That's funny Smoot I statted up all three pony races from the new MLP:FIM show. They are going to be in my next campaign setting. Anyway I will have those spells hopefully soon-ish. Life has conspired to take away a chunk of time and energy and I have had to drop two projects already.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Life has conspired to take away a chunk of time and energy and I have had to drop two projects already.
Life does tend to do that periodically. Happens to me as well.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

It does help to clear the air at least. Sometimes you just surround yourself with a cloud of projects it gets hard to finish any one of them.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:It does help to clear the air at least. Sometimes you just surround yourself with a cloud of projects it gets hard to finish any one of them.
I have simply resigned myself to work on whatever I currently have inspiration for... no pressure. Just whatever I feel like producing. Thats why I share my work constantly and incrementally. Otherwise I would never have much to share otherwise. At least others have access to my work.

Later, I am sure this project will wane, and I will start back into something else that strikes my fancy such as the Field Guide or the Apocalypse setting.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Yeah, I am not really all that interested in BF right now anyway. I am reading through the essentials books I bought years ago and never actually read. ;)

Fun stuff I would run it once I get to know the system a little better. My only single gripe is the required use of a battlemat. All my other problems I just houseruled away after a couple of minutes of thinking.
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

<,< >,>
I am currently putting together a set of guidelines for playing Multi-colored Ponies in AD&D 2nd-ed for a friend of mine. I would be ecstatic if Medieval Man would PM me his efforts towards this endeavor.
SmootRK wrote:I have simply resigned myself to work on whatever I currently have inspiration for... no pressure. Just whatever I feel like producing.
Except for art, where I force myself to do something every week, I'm a lot like this myself. I, however, cannot share most of my drawings, and my not-art creative projects (building my a BFRPG campaign, making a game in RPGMaker, and writing my modern military vs. supernatural focused retro-style mechanics d6s only RPG) are all things that most people just don't really care about.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Yeah, I am not really all that interested in BF right now anyway. I am reading through the essentials books I bought years ago and never actually read. ;)

Fun stuff I would run it once I get to know the system a little better. My only single gripe is the required use of a battlemat. All my other problems I just houseruled away after a couple of minutes of thinking.
I like a great many games, but due to time and energy constraints, I have decided quite deliberately to stick with BFRPG as 'my system'. I will draw from other stuff, but I doubt that I put any major creative effort into any other games. I will participate in other games, but my choice is BFRPG (or similar stuff such as LL or the original B/X or BECMI (without the MI).

I did work on 3.x stuff for a while, but over time I learned my lesson that those rules are just too much to deal with regularly. BFRPG just suits me... a happy medium that can draw on various material easily. I just wish more people were working with BFRPG freely.

In fact, what would really be a productive BFRPG Project would be a major drive to put the word out about the system... getting it in front of as many people as possible.!!
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I tend to trumpet the fact I run the game whenever I find myself in such conversations. Most people confuse it with Chaosiums BRPG. Man I just don't know how many time is have had to explain the difference to people. Also Steveman because you asked so nicely here is the full document.
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Thank you very much. They look to be far more well thought out than the rules I had started to adapt from Ponyfinder.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC