Libram Magica

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Libram Magica

Post by SmootRK »

Been working on a spell compendium (to be folded into my personal houserules, but useful for all), and I need some additional spells, specifically stuff for sub-classes to set them apart from each other a bit. Of course, this will be shared freely.

Zero-level spells for Druids, Illusionists, Fey-Magic.
7th level spells for the same

perhaps even spells catered to specific races. Exclusive Elf Magic, Dwarf Clerical, etc.

And any original spell ideas that can become part of BFRPG's own flavor.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=20

Note: any spell supplements on the Downloads page should be considered correct, if in doubt

Edit: see this post from daryen for an r5 release, with a lot of additional work done
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Re: Spells Needed

Post by SmootRK »

I will start with my first suggestion:

Fertilize (druid orison 0-level) - this spell will cause a single plant to grow the equivalent of a full season over the course of 1 turn. For many food crops this will bring the plant to full maturity, producing a quantity of food of that type. Otherwise, it simply advances a plant's growth by one year/season.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I would personally take a look at the 2E PHB. Their are a lot of spells in the 1-7 range that didn't make it into the BFRPG core rules. Mage Armor and Burning Hands both come to mind.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Yes, 2e is great reference. Most of what was in 1e but refined a little better. That's my primary place to reference some monster entries as well instead of 3e srd. Closer to roots while being a scoach more thought out than the 1e or basic versions. They just over did it when it came to ecology info and descriptions.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

With cleaned up math and presentation 2E could really have been a contender, and could still be a contender. I own the black versions of the edition and love them the most out of my collection of RPG's.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have done a bit of work on this document, adding (a few omitted here and there on purpose for some different reasons, usually duplication of theme) spells from Core Rules, Illusionists, Necromancer, Druid, Sword & Board, and even a few spells that have never been available for BFRPG before (can you figure out which ones so far?).

Anyhow, sharing it so that I can enthuse others about it, and perhaps get a few more spells to add (original creations preferred). I will put it in the first post of this thread.

I still need to update the entries for the various sub-classes level information, also I plan to make an alphabetical listing (including spell levels for the various classes).

Cheers
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

New errors located:

There is a second level druid spell listed as "Message" that I cannot find anywhere, either core or any supplement.
Anyone know specific source (if a port of another spell) or a location where this one exists?

[follow up] I did locate a 1st level MU spell called Message that might be the inspiration, but it was lost somewhere. Think that is the same one that should be on the druid list?

Another druid issue:
second level druid spell listed as "Snake Charm" does not exist in druid spells or core rules. Thoughts?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Write them up yourself? Or maybe look and see if another edition has spells similar to those. 3E has a huge bank of interesting and usable spells I would love to see trnslated. Hey if I wrote up some spells and presented them here would you use them Smoot? Their are a few from the Warcraft Campaign Setting I would love to see in a BFRPG document. Blizzard, Bloodlust, Frost Armor, Death Coil, the warcraft version of Blink. All good spells that don't see too much use since that setting was dropped.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Write them up yourself? Or maybe look and see if another edition has spells similar to those. 3E has a huge bank of interesting and usable spells I would love to see trnslated. Hey if I wrote up some spells and presented them here would you use them Smoot? Their are a few from the Warcraft Campaign Setting I would love to see in a BFRPG document. Blizzard, Bloodlust, Frost Armor, Death Coil, the warcraft version of Blink. All good spells that don't see too much use since that setting was dropped.
Yes, I intend to write up much myself (referring to original material, deferring to 2e usually (as mentioned above))... but, there is the potential that someone, whether Solo or contributors have these already somewhere - only missed in a draft somewhere.

And, yes! I am looking for material that can be developed for BFRPG, whatever the inspiration. For stuff coming from WoW inspiration, please take effort to rename and differentiate from the sources. But, yes, these would make great additions.

It is taking quite a lot of time just to compile, edit stuff, and make some editorial choices (I can be rather harsh about quality of writing).
All that, and I take great effort to re-write these with small edits to provide consistency of information flow, proper and consistent number formats, pronoun, abbreviation use, etc. There really is a lot of effort put into things that are not readily apparent at a glance or complete comparison of items.
And... since this is effectively and ultimately a project for my own personal House Rule Document (though happy to share it also separately), I try to put a personal spin on a lot of stuff (see the Acknowledges at the end of my house-rules).
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Alright I will put together a few spells, and just for the record these spells are all from the pre-WoW era. They were all originally presented between 1995 and 2003 so no need to worry about them being overpowered or anything. Ah brings back fond memories of invisible Mages raining icy death upon the enemy. Spell warfare at its finest.